"So... where else have you interviewed?" interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PosteriorEmbryotoxon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been asked this question several times along the trail. My home ophtho program has advised me to answer nonspecifically such as "I have interviews in the west coast area" or "I have been to several midwest programs." However, these responses have elicited follow-up questions such as "Okay great. Which schools?" Thus, I was essentially forced (on several occasions) to list specific schools which I felt very uncomfortable about.

So... is this question legal? Also, what are they trying to accomplish by asking this? Any advice or suggestions for better answers? Thanks everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yup I've been asked this. I kept it general and then got asked which ones. So I listed states. Then the interviewer started naming off programs so I had to say yes/no. According to one program director, this is legal under SF Match rules.

This has happened to me too and it made me pretty uncomfortable. I'm also curious as to why this gets asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was asked for my list as well during a recent interview.
The chairman said that even though it is taboo to ask about it, it is legal. He said he just wanted to get a feel for what kind of programs I was targeting for the match.
I mostly listed programs I was interviewing at that were in the same tier as the program I was at and kindly stated there are a few more, but could not think of them at the moment. He said: "that's ok don't worry about it, just wanted a rough idea" and moved on.
I don't really mind the question. Idk why they ask though, maybe they are just trying to gauge where they stand on OUR rank list. To be honest that is kind of unfair to ask because I don't know where I stand on their list and there is no way I can ask them that haha.

But again, nothing you can do about it. Just gotta smile, answer, and hope for the best. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I hate this question. I think it's absolutely to guesstimate where they stand on our rank list, which is infuriating because we can't ask them right back: so what other applicants are you interviewing? Where are they from? What are their step scores? How much research?, etc etc -- all of which is pretty much information they can infer about the programs you're looking at when they ask you where else you're interviewing :\

Sometimes interviewers are tired of asking the same question over and over again. Knowing where you interviewed gives an opportunity to find out if you interviewed with someone they know, which can bring up another conversation piece. Nothing more. I promise, there's no reason to freak out over this question.

Reactions: 1 user
Just rattle off some big names to intimidate them.

Reactions: 1 user