So who's worried about moving far away for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoxingTheStars

chase this light with me
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I kinda am. Not that I've officially decided yet, but I'm most definitely leaning towards the school farthest away.

Even though I'm really excited about the school (and the location), I'm still kinda nervous about committing. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Me too, I have a serious g/f here (I know, I know.. this has been beaten into the ground way too many times), and all of my family is here. However, if I get into the far-away school I want to go to (JHU), I would hope strongly that they would understand! I would still be nervous though.

Ditto. Want to stay close to family. Very tough decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I commiserate with you all. I was ecstatic when I got an incredibly generous offer from a certain med school. A few weeks later, I learned that my mom has a serious, incurable illness. My folks are 1000+ miles away from that school. Bleh. Whatever choice I make will have major downsides. Really stinks.

Yeah. Even though I'm only moving to a neighboring state, I'm still nervous about moving all my stuff to a different environment. It helps that I've a lot of friends there though, and a supporting husband moving with me.

Yep.. My brother recently broke his neck and is now paralyzed. If I don't get into Maryland or EVMS I will have to consider going to the Caribbean which would be horrible (i'm now thinking I might pass). It just sucks.

TarHeel and cottenr, I'm so sorrry. That really sucks. Hopefully everything will work out so you can stay close to family.:luck:

I'm less concerned about moving far and more concerned about adapting: me, a California girl converting to the NYC way of life. I have serious doubts and I worry about how well I'll be doing in school in such a different environment. I'm sure there are other people haeding off to big cities. Is anyone else uneasy about so much change?

Ditto. Want to stay close to family. Very tough decision.

+1. At this point in time, I'm going to turn down some great schools in favor of staying closer to home. However, 2nd looks and financial aid packages may sway my ultimate decision.

Hey cottenr,

That's terrible about your brother. I am so sorry. I hope you hear good news from UMaryland & EVMS soon.

I am sorry to hear that some of you are undergoing very difficult times. I will keep you in my prayers, and truly hope that unexpected doors open up in your lives, in regards to having both family and medicine close.

In regards to moving away, I am also worried. A top twenty program =(Goodbye family and potentially sacrifice a long-term relationship), or midway program = (close to family and good chance of starting my own family sooner than later).

I really hope that the financial aid packages help make my decision easier. Second looks will probably make it tougher, since they are all going to show you the best that they've got.

I'm there. While I'm not going FAR away, I am leaving my husband and two kids (12 and 14). I'll only be able to see them on the weekends, if I'm lucky, and will have to be a mom from far away. The good news is that my parents are nearby, and we have a fabulous support system in place. Even as a non-traditional who's been around the block, this is not an easy decision!!

Good luck!

+1. At this point in time, I'm going to turn down some great schools in favor of staying closer to home. However, 2nd looks and financial aid packages may sway my ultimate decision.

At this point I'm really hoping you live far away from JHop... Yes, *jedi mind trick* you do not want to go to Hopkins... It's TOO far away...

I am a first year med student. I moved from a small town in Oregon to a large city in the Northeast to attend medical school. It has been quite an adventure and I am very happy with the entire experience.

If you are friendly and open to new experiences, you will do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I commiserate with you all. I was ecstatic when I got an incredibly generous offer from a certain med school. A few weeks later, I learned that my mom has a serious, incurable illness. My folks are 1000+ miles away from that school. Bleh. Whatever choice I make will have major downsides. Really stinks.

Aw TarHeel, I'm so sorry. I guess that's what I'm worried about mostly. My father is basically a walking risk factor for a heart attack (overweight, smoker, high bp, sedentary, poor diet, etc) and it bothers me that if something happens to him I have to wait for a plane to take me home.

I think I'd be less apprehensive if I was planning on attending a private school so far away because the class would be coming from everywhere. But I'm considering a public school with few oos people. I am very open-minded but I'm thinking that I'll be at a disadvantage compared to the rest of my classmates. I don't know maybe I should stop thinking so much and just do it. :eek:

At this point I'm really hoping you live far away from JHop... Yes, *jedi mind trick* you do not want to go to Hopkins... It's TOO far away...

:laugh:

This post got me to actually laugh out loud...thanks :D Your app looks solid. I'm thinking you'll hear good news from most of the schools you interviewed at (including JHU), in the coming weeks. GL

Yep.. My brother recently broke his neck and is now paralyzed. If I don't get into Maryland or EVMS I will have to consider going to the Caribbean which would be horrible (i'm now thinking I might pass). It just sucks.
I'm sorry to hear about your misfortunes, you should contact the schools and explain the situation. many school take spouses into consideration, and I'm sure they would do the same for immediate family. As you get older the importance of family can really hit home so especialy at a school like UMD I think Dr. Foxwell might be open to it.

I haven't gotten in anwhere yet, and the last few places excluding one are rather far away. It is somewhat daunting to pick up everything and move to a new environment with the new challenges of med school, but honestly I'll move whereever if it means I can be a doctor.

I'm unsettled and nervous for sure!!! I'm actually moving across the country back to where all of my family and friends are, but i'm leaving the area that i've spent the past 5 years and i'm i've got the 'what to do' about the serious significant other thing(that i'm currently living with).

The other posters above have certainly put my feelings in perspective though. Good luck to those in much worse situations.

:laugh:

This post got me to actually laugh out loud...thanks :D Your app looks solid. I'm thinking you'll hear good news from most of the schools you interviewed at (including JHU), in the coming weeks. GL

LOL, I'm glad to be spreading cheer. :)

Well, either God's going to make this a really easy decision (Oklahoma, here I come!), or I'm going to be getting a lot of news soon. Either way, I'm going to med school and thrilled. But, I have to admit I think I'd pee my pants a little if I got a call with a 410 area code in the next week or so.

I got accepted to a school eight hours away from my family and I never lived on my own. I am so scaried of living far away. I hope I hear from my state school so I will only be an hour away from home. its cheaper for me to live close to my family.

While I'm not moving all that far away (just a neighboring state), I'm actually really excited and looking forward to it...I've been in my current state for too long now, and really can't wait to go somewhere else!!!

After high schoo, I bounced around a lot. First it was a place 400 miles away for three years, then 80 miles away for a couple. Now I'm back with family and friend in my hometown. There's a weird dichotomy between being glad you're close to friends and family and being completely sick of being twenty(errr-something) and living in the same damn city you grew up in going nowhere. So it's like I want to stick around (and I hope I still have the chance!) but just not that close. But being 3k miles away in NY is a little too much. It's definitely going to be an all new adventure of its own.

My SO is here and his job ( fireman) isn't easily transferable to another city so I am going to try to stay within the state if possible, we are going to try and live off his income during med school.

Yes...It's TOO far away...This is not the school we're looking for....

Wait...WTF...I didn't even apply to JHU. What am I saying? The force is strong in this one....Either that or I'm a complete tool.

Yes...It's TOO far away...This is not the school we're looking for....

Wait...WTF...I didn't even apply to JHU. What am I saying? The force is strong in this one....Either that or I'm a complete tool.

LOLOLOL!

I'm terrified. Part of me really wants to leave LA and experience something different.

But my LIFE is in LA. It's pretty difficult to leave all of my family and friends behind, along with the weather and pretty women. Hopefully things will be more clear after second look.

I'm terrified. Part of me really wants to leave LA and experience something different.

But my LIFE is in LA. It's pretty difficult to leave all of my family and friends behind, along with the weather and pretty women. Hopefully things will be more clear after second look.

Hey! There are pretty women elsewhere in the country! Hmph!

Lol, but I know what you mean. I'm scared to leave NY. All my friends an family are here so I may stay. At the same time I want to experience something new (and enjoy LA weather) so I may go. I flip flop everyday.

I feel bad for all of you guys. A friend of mine is potentially going to be living in one of 3 different continents for the next 4 years and he's terrified.

Gonna move from the southwest to NYC. I excited to go there but finding a nice apartment while living 2000 miles away will be a bit challenging.

Gonna move from the southwest to NYC. I excited to go there but finding a nice apartment while living 2000 miles away will be a bit challenging.

OMG, I have the same problem!!! I live in socal and have no idea how I'm going to get a decent affordable apartment from here. It's rough.

When does one fit getting married into med school?

You don't.

Reading the allopathic forums has taught me a couple things..

1. bringing a relationship into med school is pretty much going to end by the end of the first semester or the first year
2. dating your fellow classmates is going to be drama
3. dating while during residency is going to be drama

So in case you are lucky enough to get a partner, the divorce rate of physicians is higher than the general population. So, if normally 50% of first marriages end in divorce, physicians are >50%.

Cheers! :)

I have the opposite problem. While my first choice is Wash U, I'm a little scared about living too close to my parents. I'm sure I'll still be thrilled if I get in, but if I don't it might be a blessing in disguise.

You don't.

1. bringing a relationship into med school is pretty much going to end by the end of the first semester or the first year

So in case you are lucky enough to get a partner, the divorce rate of physicians is higher than the general population. So, if normally 50% of first marriages end in divorce, physicians are >50%.

Way to be cynical! Perhaps when you find the love of your life your whole linear view of the whole thing will change. Cheers to u! :love:

Part of me really wants to leave the Midwest but Wash U would be terrific. Duke letter should be coming this week or next so then I'll know if I really have a decision.

Anyone have relationship success stories? My gorgeous g/f of 2.5 years will be in Chicago while I'll likely be in St Louis or Durham--unless I decide its not worth the risk and I take the UIC spot. Is it really hopeless to think that we can make it work while I'm still in school?

I'm in the boat of not knowing what to do either. I don't want to be presumptious because I haven't been accepted yet, but I'm already thinking about this! (I should just chill and see what happens first, but I have a very active mind, and I loooove the school)

But the question about moving away is really.... about my dogs :rolleyes: That is my problem. How do I leave them??? (one dog is 12 years old and the love of my life and I don't want to move him to an unknown place or leave him alone durng the day, the other is a 4 year old huge energetic hyperactive manic giant)

Would I choose my dogs over my dream school... A stupid question for a lot of people, and I don't think I would because I have worked so hard for this. But it's a hard one, isn't it?

Part of me really wants to leave the Midwest but Wash U would be terrific. Duke letter should be coming this week or next so then I'll know if I really have a decision.

Anyone have relationship success stories? My gorgeous g/f of 2.5 years will be in Chicago while I'll likely be in St Louis or Durham--unless I decide its not worth the risk and I take the UIC spot. Is it really hopeless to think that we can make it work while I'm still in school?

awww so sweet! I plan to make it work with my boyfriend as well. But I do have a success story! My friend, who is a current 3rd year at a school in New York, is engaged and her fiancee lives in Southern Cali. They made it work! And they will be getting married this summer. They have been together awhile though. I think it can work, and nothing is hopeless. :)

You don't.

Living in real life has taught me a couple things..

1. people who have troubles generally vent in the allopathic thread
2. dating in med school or residency is a case-by-case situation
3. more doctors date/marry other doctors than you might think: http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/130/4_Part_1/312

So in case you are silly enough to ignore the whole picture, you might not wind up with anyone at all. So, if the original chance of you marrying someone is 50%, now it will be 0%.

You can make it work. I know many people, although usually from other countries, who make it work for years during graduate school, and eventually get married. I don't think there's a wrong choice, to go to UIC or far away.

As much as I'd love to tell you to go to UIC so that I can sneak into your Wash U spot, I think St. Louis-Chicago is not that bad. It's only a 5 hour drive (actually you'd probably drive through my hometown) and a very short flight. How long does your girlfriend have to stay in Chicago? Any possibility she could move after a year or two? She must be really hot if you're thinking of picking UIC over Wash U!

It looks like I'll be moving from Toronto to Tennessee. They only family/friends I have in the states live in D.C., NY, and NJ. The first few weeks will be very lonely. I've lived in 3 countries, and 6 cities so I'll adapt quickly. I'll go where ever I have to go to get my dream!

I'm only moving 5 hours away. I've been in the same town my whole life. I had my heart set on going to the med school that's about 30 minutes from here, but I didn't get accepted. I'm FINALLY leaving and I'm excited.

It looks like I'll be moving from Toronto to Tennessee. They only family/friends I have in the states live in D.C., NY, and NJ. The first few weeks will be very lonely. I've lived in 3 countries, and 6 cities so I'll adapt quickly. I'll go where ever I have to go to get my dream!
where at in TN?

The grass is always greener...

RWJ is 12 minutes away from where I grew up. I am already having nightmares of unexpected visits from Mom and Pops.