So why rheum but not endocrine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiaappli1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but why am I noticing an increase popularity in rheum but not endocrine ? They seem similar in regards too being outpatient , reg schedule , similar pay.

Members don't see this ad.

Pardon my ignorance but why am I noticing an increase popularity in rheum but not endocrine ? They seem similar in regards too being outpatient , reg schedule , similar pay.

The new age of biologics.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
The new age of biologics.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
High risk monitoring for a large number of otherwise relatively simple patients (vs. trying to keep a number of diabetics in acceptable range). Both seem pretty good as far as lifestyle, patient volume, and overall interesting pathology (lots of zebras in both fields to make the day interesting).

Members don't see this ad :)
not sure if that the case...i've seen more residents interested and the last 2 residency classes which I was involved with as a fellow had 3 go into endocrine in each class...and the market is good...every places seems to clambering for endo...

but there are less procedures (rheum has injections that bill as procedures) in endo...really just thyroid/parathyroid/LN US and Bx, plus i think many people find endocrinology to be confusing.

Lets look at the data. It is readily available for 2012-2016.

From 2012 to 2016, the number of applicants for Rheumatology increased from 240 to 304. That said, it really was just a 1 year big increase that may not hold, as the trend was 240-244-230-245-304 applicants. (page 80) Looking at historic data back to 2008, it was always pretty flat at 240, though 2010 was a bit of an outlier as well.

From 2012 to 2016, the number of applicants for Endocrinology actually decreased from 378 to 325. It was more of a decreased 2012-2014, as the last few years have actually been flat. Trend is 378-361-306-324-325. (page 35) In fact, going back to historic data, the number of applicants for Endocrine for the 2016 cycle was the same as for the 2009 cycle.

What conclusions can we draw? Rheum interest is pretty flat for the 8 years we looked at except for this year, which may be an outlier (like 2010) or the start of a trend. Can't predict the future. On the other hand, Endocrine interest has been down from it's historic peak in 2012 and is back in the range it was in the years prior to that. No clear etiology why. Looking at AAMC careers in medicine data (which is significantly more accurate than medscape data, as it draws from the MGMA database), the median income of an Endocrinologist in practice is $221k, while a Rheumatologist is $236k, which may explain a little bit of it. Otherwise, the subjects are different enough that it really depends on what you enjoy. Personally, one of the two is my favorite subject within internal medicine and the other is my least favorite, so I wasn't exactly choosing between them from that standpoint, but perhaps some people enjoy both.

Oh, and the last thing to mention? While Rheum might be increasing in popularity and Endocrine is at the best flat, Endocrinology still has more people in interested in it than Rheumatology. That may change in the future, but it's the lay of the land currently.

Last edited:
Lets look at the data. It is readily available for 2012-2016.

From 2012 to 2016, the number of applicants for Rheumatology increased from 240 to 304. That said, it really was just a 1 year big increase that may not hold, as the trend was 240-244-230-245-304 applicants. (page 80) Looking at historic data back to 2008, it was always pretty flat at 240, though 2010 was a bit of an outlier as well.

From 2012 to 2016, the number of applicants for Endocrinology actually decreased from 378 to 325. It was more of a decreased 2012-2014, as the last few years have actually been flat. Trend is 378-361-306-324-325. (page 35) In fact, going back to historic data, the number of applicants for Endocrine for the 2016 cycle was the same as for the 2009 cycle.

What conclusions can we draw? Rheum interest is pretty flat for the 8 years we looked at except for this year, which may be an outlier (like 2010) or the start of a trend. Can't predict the future. On the other hand, Endocrine interest has been down from it's historic peak in 2012 and is back in the range it was in the years prior to that. No clear etiology why. Looking at AAMC careers in medicine data (which is significantly more accurate than medscape data, as it draws from the MGMA database), the median income of an Endocrinologist in practice is $221k, while a Rheumatologist is $236k, which may explain a little bit of it. Otherwise, the subjects are different enough that it really depends on what you enjoy. Personally, one of the two is my favorite subject within internal medicine and the other is my least favorite, so I wasn't exactly choosing between them from that standpoint, but perhaps some people enjoy both.

Oh, and the last thing to mention? While Rheum might be increasing in popularity and Endocrine is at the best flat, Endocrinology still has more people in interested in it than Rheumatology. That may change in the future, but it's the lay of the land currently.

Great response! Check your inbox for an Amazon gift card; I felt you deserved a reward for an excellent post.

Reactions: 6 users