So you matched.....Then let me ask you....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goose...Fraba

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you that matched I have 1 question......

And NO its not.....what was your board scores and how many interviews...

My question is how many of you matched at places that you did out rotations at?

I mean everybody talks about how important it is to do out rotations at places that you would like to match at, but how did it turn out for you guys? did you guys match where you did away electives at or other places?

Just curious, being I m trying to schedule 2 out rotations in EM at various places, and I wonder if I need to do more?

Members don't see this ad.

Man, that's a GREAT SNL clip.

I rotated and ranked Highland #1. I did not match there. But, I wouldn't have even gotten an interview if I didn't rotate there, so even knowing my final Match result, I wouldn't have changed my decision to go there for an elective.

Search old threads for # away electives. 2 is just about right.

i did match at the place i rotated at (cook county). for me it was beneficial because i was able to see if i would be able to handle it, i was able to evaluate the faculty, and when it all came down to it, i had such a good time there in the one month, that a single interview date at another institution could not change my mind that county was the best fit for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great SNL clip.... what the heck you talkin bout.... man, thats a clip of me in my dormroom, jamming to some serious cowbell.

What? why is everybody looking at me funny?

whats SNL? does it stand for sweet N low?

just kiddin, Will Ferrel is my hero, when I grow up I wanna be just like him...
I think thats why I live EM so much, lots of crazy characters! :cool:

Goose

I didn't do any away rotations and got my #1 (and was invited to interviews at 7/8 progams I applied to). I think for me, that was the way to go (since I was convinced about EM and I was doing a combined degree that limited my availability for rotations).

I think that for others in different circumstances, an away rotation may be helpful, for example:
- interested in a residency in a different part of the country (e.g., going to school in the Northeast and want to train in California)
- not sure about EM and want a different setting to close the deal
- sure about EM but not sure about training in a county vs academic setting and need more exposure to one or the other
- absolutely sure about one program being your top choice and confident that you are going to impress them

There are other less compelling reasons (e.g., get another letter), but remember that you are exposing yourself to an opportunity possibly have a negative experience, so if you've been doing really great with your rotations all along the way, just make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.

I rotated away at, ranked #1, and matched at Beth Israel (Boston). This was my only away rotation. Having left Boston for medical school, I thought I may want to go back, and from general info I thought the BI would be a good fit.

But, I really wanted to know more about their program, especially about the personalities, and also wanted them to like me...

I considered the rotation a 30-day interview, in both directions, and I'm happy we both did well! ;)

One away rotation is certainly enough, but if you have two places you are super-curious about, maybe it's worthwhile to go to both. I will say, it's hard to be "on" for 30 days back-to-back-to-back (assuming you start with a home rotation!), but I'm happy to know my program well.

Good luck.

i rotated at and matched at my #1 as well. i did not know that it would be my number 1 when i went, but it really matched my personality. i think that it is important to at least do one rotation where you want to go. i would rank that as most beneficial for the average applicant. it benefits both you and the program.

I started my 4th year with a #1 in mind. I rotated there and absolutely hated it. I actually didnt even rank the program, and would have gladly left half way through the month if I could have.

I also rotated at a program that was on my radar, but on the other side of the country and somewhat mysterious to me. I ended up loving the program, and must have had my "A game" on because they liked me as well. I can tell you that I would not have even been given an interview unless I rotated there. Ranked #1 and matched there.

So, away rotations are a great way to see if your preconceived conceptions are accurate, and to get face time in programs where you maybe wouldn't get any love on paper.

ps. nice avitar...

bikerboy said:
I started my 4th year with a #1 in mind. I rotated there and absolutely hated it. I actually didnt even rank the program, and would have gladly left half way through the month if I could have.

I also rotated at a program that was on my radar, but on the other side of the country and somewhat mysterious to me. I ended up loving the program, and must have had my "A game" on because they liked me as well. I can tell you that I would not have even been given an interview unless I rotated there. Ranked #1 and matched there.

So, away rotations are a great way to see if your preconceived conceptions are accurate, and to get face time in programs where you maybe wouldn't get any love on paper.

ps. nice avitar...

I matched at the same program as biker and I didn't rotate there. Rotate if you want. Don't rotate is you don't want to work hard.

i matched at a program that i didn't rotate at; in fact, the program that i rotated at (hennepin) ended up right in the middle of my list. it wasn't that i disliked the program (in fact, i loved it)- i just discovered during interviews that there were things i was looking for in a program that aren't offered there (esp. in that it is a 3 year program and i wanted a 4).

spending a month there also gave me the chance to visit family/friends in minnesota- an added bonus of working in a great ED for 4 weeks.

bud

I matched at one of the places where I rotated and did some research. I interviewed there during my rotation just prior to the kickoff of interview season. As a result, I missed out on all the dog and pony show stuff.

The good news is I knew much more about what my day to day life would be like in the department and with the folks I'll be working with. The bad news is I didn't get the interview info (like off service stuff, etc). Certainly I asked about that during my rotation but it is suprisingly helpful to hear the canned speach on interview morning.

Take care,
Jeff

I matched at one of the two places a rotated at. I loved it during my rotation and it allowed the attendings and residents to get to know me as a person.

You should definitely identify a few programs that you have a strong interest in and pursue away rotations at those hospitals. If you are good at what you do it can only increase your chances for matching where you want to.

i matched at a place i rotated at. I was one of the paranoid types that like to see what i am getting myself into. I think it helped me learn about the programs, not so sure if it helped me match or not, but you definitely need 2 letters from academic programs, so plan on at least one out and why do it a place you are preliminarily going to rank #12??

I matched at 1 of the 2 places I rotated through. I think it is a big advantage to rotate at the programs you are most interested in. Gives you a chance to meet the residents and attendings and see if it is really where you want to train. 2 rotations was the right number for me because I was pretty sure I wanted to go to 1 of those 2.

Def agree w/ above. I did 3 rotations (I'm a DO trying to break in) and got lucky w/ a hit on my #1. Had I not done a rotation there I don't think that I would have gotten it. But then again, you never know.

Good luck,
FG

thanks for the replies everyone, looks like Im going to be doing some travelin'!
BTW- a Flemish Giant is a type of rabbit! (I grew up on a farm) :D
Goose