So YOU think DO and Caribbean Grads have problems? Look

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldpro

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Look at this here I have seen this written up before but to call a Nurse a DOctor? They did not go to medical school and took a short cut, a real one IMHO. ( by the way I'm also an RN for 20years now)

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Departments/eLearning/Default.aspx?article=MakeRoomDrNurse&GT1=27001

Making Room For "Dr. Nurse"
By Laura Landro

Provided by CareerJournal.com
CareerJournal.com
As the shortage of primary-care physicians mounts, the nursing profession is offering a possible solution: the "doctor nurse."

More than 200 nursing schools have established or plan to launch doctorate of nursing practice programs to equip graduates with skills the schools say are equivalent to primary-care physicians.

The two-year programs, including a one-year residency, create a "hybrid practitioner" with more skills, knowledge and training than a nurse practitioner with a master's degree, says Mary Mundinger, dean of New York's Columbia University School of Nursing..................read the article for more

So 1 year then Residency ( 2 years includes residency) LOL yes a shortcut and we are to think of them as Docs? No way! I have worked too hard for this ! They want to be Docs then go to medical school Like I have done!

So this will be the new class of practitioners looking to be recognised as Physicians? I do not believe it will fly in my lifetime. But if this continues then one day unless we as a profession make sure that the lines are not crossed.

What is funny is I attend a Caribbean medical school with a curriculum of 2 years of Basic science study and 2 years clinicals in the USA along side US students and then I will do no less then a 3 year residency and there are people worried about me when I take the same USMLE and go through the same training for more then half the time. These people do not even do half the time and IMHO we should be worried about standards of care in primary care. You just cannot replace the experience I'm am getting and the study time in condense fashion that makes the ability to deliver the care to the public a lowered level. (Yes My Opinion) .

(No offense to anyone please) :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

The board will begin administering the exam this fall. By 2015, the American Association of Colleges of Nursing aims to make the doctoral degree the standard for all new advanced practice nurses, including nurse practitioners.

So NP's will now expect to be called "Dr" I really do not think this will fly well, there is already some contention over PA's and NP's in the workplace with patients calling them "Dr".

This is really confusing the lines I think and it is necessary They should be NP PHD thats it.

1. Pass USMLE Step 1, 2 and 3
and
2. Have at least 1 year of rotations through medicine, surgery, family medicine, pediatrics, ob/gyn, neurology and psych with satisfactory evaluations from a supervising attending physician at each service.

Otherwise, no dice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with oldpro. Its ridiculous that people worry about the quality of Caribbean medical grads, when Caribbean grads have done four years of med school, 2 of basic sciences in the Caribbean and 2 of clinical rotations in the US alongside US med students, and then come back to the US to do 3-5 years of residency. And yet no one complains that DNP's are unqualified when they have essentially done a two-year program with one year of residency included, and expect to be called doctor and practice independently of a physician. :mad:

Hello friends,

Nurse: My name is xyz I'm going to be your Dr. Nurse today.
Patient: Your going to be my what?

No disrespect to nurses, but again what are nurses going to do soon Surgery.

Thanks.

MDPWR.

I agree with oldpro. Its ridiculous that people worry about the quality of Caribbean medical grads, when Caribbean grads have done four years of med school, 2 of basic sciences in the Caribbean and 2 of clinical rotations in the US alongside US med students, and then come back to the US to do 3-5 years of residency. And yet no one complains that DNP's are unqualified when they have essentially done a two-year program with one year of residency included, and expect to be called doctor and practice independently of a physician. :mad:

Agreed 100%

the programs look more like an MPH than a medical curriculum too.

My new list of medical Doctoral programs to start:

Dr. CNA
Dr. Unit Secretary
Dr. Houskeeping
Dr. Maintenance
Dr. Food service
Dr. Transport
Dr. Volunteer
Dr. Surgery Tech
Dr. Lab Tech
Dr. Med Tech
Dr. RN
Dr. LPN
Dr. Physical Therapy
Dr. EMT
Dr. Xray Tech
Dr. Phelbotomist
Dr. Giftshop person
Dr. Security

Oh and Last but not least ................. Dr. LoVe...................... :love:

In this age of not leaving anyone behind I think this covers it, we all are DOCTORS now.

If there is anything I left out let me know! :cool:

Dr. CNA
Dr. Unit Secretary
Dr. Houskeeping
Dr. Maintenance
Dr. Food service
Dr. Transport
Dr. Volunteer
Dr. Surgery Tech
Dr. Lab Tech
Dr. Med Tech
Dr. RN
Dr. LPN
Dr. Physical Therapy
Dr. EMT
Dr. Xray Tech
Dr. Phelbotomist
Dr. Giftshop person
Dr. Security

Oh and Last but not least ................. Dr. LoVe...................... :love:

In this age of not leaving anyone behind I think this covers it, we all are DOCTORS now.

OldPro dude that was so funny. You didn't even leave the nice old lady working at the gift shop lolz.

Dr. CNA
Dr. Unit Secretary
Dr. Houskeeping
Dr. Maintenance
Dr. Food service
Dr. Transport
Dr. Volunteer
Dr. Surgery Tech
Dr. Lab Tech
Dr. Med Tech
Dr. RN
Dr. LPN
Dr. Physical Therapy
Dr. EMT
Dr. Xray Tech
Dr. Phelbotomist
Dr. Giftshop person
Dr. Security

You left out the following:

Dr. Respiratory Therapist
Dr. Administrator
Dr. Cashier
Dr. Accounting

I'm an attorney who is considering medical school. Since my degree is a Juris Doctor, it looks like I don't need to spend all that extra time and money on school! Just give me a white coat and a stethoscope, and I'm good to go!

This is only the beginning of the end of the "rich" doctor in the USA. Watch as insurance companies start paying less and less while the MD malpractice insurance continues to climb.

On top of all this, other fields like Nursing, Podiatry, etc cut into the Physician business and continue to get more and more rights for their own professions by scaring the various licensing bodies with the now popular scare tactic "physician shortage".

In the future, going to the Carib for med school wont make any sense from a financial standpoint, especially if you can only get into or want to do IM, Peds or FP. Eventually, dont be surprised to see Nurses take over a lot of business from these MDs. Just go to any Anesthesiology forums and you will find them fuming over the CRNA profession. CRNAs get paid more than IM, Peds or FP with great lifestyle and in some places a good deal of paid vacation too!! http://www.minoritynurse.com/features/nurse_emp/08-18-03.html
http://www.crnajobs.com/crna-careers/main.aspx
http://www.gaswork.com/search/CRNA/Job

This is only the beginning of the end of the "rich" doctor in the USA. Watch as insurance companies start paying less and less while the MD malpractice insurance continues to climb.

On top of all this, other fields like Nursing, Podiatry, etc cut into the Physician business and continue to get more and more rights for their own professions by scaring the various licensing bodies with the now popular scare tactic "physician shortage".

In the future, going to the Carib for med school wont make any sense from a financial standpoint, especially if you can only get into or want to do IM, Peds or FP. Eventually, dont be surprised to see Nurses take over a lot of business from these MDs. Just go to any Anesthesiology forums and you will find them fuming over the CRNA profession. CRNAs get paid more than IM, Peds or FP with great lifestyle and in some places a good deal of paid vacation too!! http://www.minoritynurse.com/features/nurse_emp/08-18-03.html
http://www.crnajobs.com/crna-careers/main.aspx
http://www.gaswork.com/search/CRNA/Job

:eek:wow! what a surprise! I knew CRNAs made a lot of money but I didn't know they were being offerred salaries over 250K with an average of 170K. Thats just incredible...

you know, if you're only in it for the money, CRNA from a purely salary standpoint seems like the way to go....all the schooling we go thru as doctors doesn't really seem to make sense if at the end you're only going to be making 120K working as a FP, or internist at some HMO.

Great links and nice humbling reality check.

Yup, just incredible...check out the one in CA 300k W2 salary just for OB CRNA!!!! Why go thru years of med school+residency when you can essentially do the same thing as an anesthetist by becomn a CRNA??!!

Yup, just incredible...check out the one in CA 300k W2 salary just for OB CRNA!!!! Why go thru years of med school+residency when you can essentially do the same thing as an anesthetist by becomn a CRNA??!!

I dont know where you been for the last 10 years or so, but anyone who goes into medicine in order to get rich is an absolute fool.

Last edited:
I dont know where you been for the last 10 years or so, but anyone who goes into medicine in order to get rich is an absolute fool.

Yes, that is why I said the end of the "rich doctor". You can still make a good salary in Dermat, etc within medicine but FP, Peds, IM have now become pretty low paid with a crappy lifestyle especially for IM. I cant believe that even a PA can earn around 90-140k with just 2.5 years of PA college degree and no residency or major exams like USMLE. The starting salary for an IM doc is between 140-180k.

Yes, that is why I said the end of the "rich doctor". You can still make a good salary in Dermat, etc within medicine but FP, Peds, IM have now become pretty low paid with a crappy lifestyle especially for IM. I cant believe that even a PA can earn around 90-140k with just 2.5 years of PA college degree and no residency or major exams like USMLE. The starting salary for an IM doc is between 140-180k.
Those figures are too low, IM docs around here average 225k a Year, Hospitalist is 225 to 300k a year. The internet is lousy source for real figures and Docs are very reluctant to tell the public what they really make, a couple years ago a survey in the Paper of readers thought a Doc should make 50 to 90k a year while a paramedic should make 75k a year as well as a Nurse. When asked about sports, 65% agreed they get paid what they should. I doubt I will ever tell what I really will make, why should I? Just to be criticized?
Besides common sense, if a Doc employs a PA and pays them 90K yet they only make 140K well it makes no sense. PA's also do not average 90k they start at 50K and average around 65k the ongoing problem is everyone sees the top 1% of PA's making large salaries and sy see, then the bottom 5% of Physicians and say See.................

I'm an RN for 19 years, do you know how many times I have heard "You made as much as a DOC!" Heck no I did not the best year I ever had as an agency nurse was 70k ( did this for 2 years) , my average was 55k though, not even close to the lower paid Docs.