So you want to consider a fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets stop crying wolf on both sides. The rhetoric is starting to piss me off. Grown ass men and women. SMFH.

Keep the tread on task.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m happy diabeticfootdr came back to SDN. It’s completely blown up in his face. If anything he made everyone’s resolve a lot stronger. We’ve also become a lot louder.

Some of us don’t see eye to eye on here but for the most part our gripes with the profession have all been rather consistent.

There’s a huge power vacuum in podiatry. Only a few people are in the club and everyone else has to grind it out to make a living.

The younger generation of podiatrists are not entitled as we are so easily labeled. We are just not gullible. We are also tired of being lied to and manipulated. We ask hard questions and diabeticfootdr can’t even answer them. He hasn’t even tried to explain how new residency programs or more positions will be generated to accommodate all these new podiatry school graduates. Because he doesn’t care.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OK but as president of the APMA I have some questions for you:

1) What is being done to prevent a residency shortage in 4 years?
2) What can be done to prevent oversaturation with 2 new schools opening up?
3) What can be done to help our young graduates obtain quality jobs upon graduation?

Were looking out for younger generations on here you just dont see it.
I know for a fact were triggering discussions at APMA delegates meetings.
Hopefully the above are being worked on by APMA. When western opened APMA/AACPM looked absolutely foolish. They had 4 years and did almost nothing.
Ok, one clarification, I am not the President of the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA). I am the President of the American Board of Podiatric Medicine (ABPM). Maybe it was a typo, but very different organizations with different responsibilities.

Since, this is off the topic of the thread, I will start a new thread and attempt to answer these questions, however, they may be outside of my direct control or knowledge, but I will try to get the answer from those who do know.

I’m happy diabeticfootdr came back to SDN.
You're welcome.

He hasn’t even tried to explain how new residency programs or more positions will be generated to accommodate all these new podiatry school graduates. Because he doesn’t care.
You commonly respond to my posts with insults. It's really unprofessional.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt, that you really want to know if I care, I'll respond briefly. And this isn't about me, I'm one person part of a Board of Directors (ABPM), or several committees in the profession. In order to accomplish what I think is best, I can rarely do things unilaterally. I must convince a majority of other committee members it's the right thing to do. So I'll use the "royal we," (without speaking for everyone), to give credit to all involved.

Here is a short list of recents:

We at UT care enough to create 2 more residency spots per year at UTHSCSA bringing us to 5 per year. We at TPMA care enough to help UTSW create a residency program with 2 per year, targeting 2024. We are targeting several other academic medical centers in TX with the

We at ABPM care enough to recognize that board certification in podiatry isn't fair for most people. So we work to change it.

We at ABPM cares enough to create a committee that addresses issues with podiatrist's hospital privileges.

We at APMA care about the reduction in student recruits for podiatry schools, so we created a special committee to address this. Actually, SDN comes up, as you can imagine, however, I argue that we need to address the perceptions of those that comment here. For example, is there something APMA can do to help improve connecting young DPMs with good jobs?

We at ABPM (via our liaisons) and CPME (via committees), care about the future of residency training and revise the standards every 3 years (minor) and 6 years (major).

I'm 44 years old. Fairly young for leaders in our profession and been a part of many committees/organizations/boards because I want to make things better for new podiatrists.

Listen, it's easy to demonize the profession's leaders and be an anonymous bomb-thrower on forums. It's harder to get involved yourself and try to change things. These leaders give up their time and energy to try to improve things. They spend many days away from their practices and families to do this. Most of podiatry's leaders that I know are genuine people, trying to improve things for the next generation of podiatrists.

There are no shortage of committees for you to volunteer your time and have your voice heard. If you (or anyone) want to, I'm easy to find. Send me an email.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
Ok, one clarification, I am not the President of the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA). I am the President of the American Board of Podiatric Medicine (ABPM). Maybe it was a typo, but very different organizations with different responsibilities.

Since, this is off the topic of the thread, I will start a new thread and attempt to answer these questions, however, they may be outside of my direct control or knowledge, but I will try to get the answer from those who do know.

You're welcome.

You commonly respond to my posts with insults. It's really unprofessional.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt, that you really want to know if I care, I'll respond briefly. And this isn't about me, I'm one person part of a Board of Directors (ABPM), or several committees in the profession. In order to accomplish what I think is best, I can rarely do things unilaterally. I must convince a majority of other committee members it's the right thing to do. So I'll use the "royal we," (without speaking for everyone), to give credit to all involved.

Here is a short list of recents:

We at UT care enough to create 2 more residency spots per year at UTHSCSA bringing us to 5 per year. We at TPMA care enough to help UTSW create a residency program with 2 per year, targeting 2024. We are targeting several other academic medical centers in TX with the

We at ABPM care enough to recognize that board certification in podiatry isn't fair for most people. So we work to change it.

We at ABPM cares enough to create a committee that addresses issues with podiatrist's hospital privileges.

We at APMA care about the reduction in student recruits for podiatry schools, so we created a special committee to address this. Actually, SDN comes up, as you can imagine, however, I argue that we need to address the perceptions of those that comment here. For example, is there something APMA can do to help improve connecting young DPMs with good jobs?

We at ABPM (via our liaisons) and CPME (via committees), care about the future of residency training and revise the standards every 3 years (minor) and 6 years (major).

I'm 44 years old. Fairly young for leaders in our profession and been a part of many committees/organizations/boards because I want to make things better for new podiatrists.

Listen, it's easy to demonize the profession's leaders and be an anonymous bomb-thrower on forums. It's harder to get involved yourself and try to change things. These leaders give up their time and energy to try to improve things. They spend many days away from their practices and families to do this. Most of podiatry's leaders that I know are genuine people, trying to improve things for the next generation of podiatrists.

There are no shortage of committees for you to volunteer your time and have your voice heard. If you (or anyone) want to, I'm easy to find. Send me an email.
The majority of the above is very admirable, good for you.

We can agree to disagree about attracting more applicants. Yes attracting more applicants is a great thing, if it were for less seats. Higher standards and more opportunities…..if we cut seats. I am not implying it is in your power to cut seats. It would solve almost all our professions problems. Simply saying all podiatrists do just fine and we are stronger with more in our profession, again in my opinion is not true.

The job market is not bad simply because podiatrists are cheap and evil,although yes some of those exists in every profession. It is simply supply and demand. Many MDs would pay less and not operate just the same if their job market like ours. MDs are not ethically superior to podiatrists.

There are only so many organizational high paying jobs with great benefits for podiatry. Podiatry is different than many other health professions in that regard. Those good jobs are always gobbled up fast by well trained, experience, connected, geographically open, lucky or some combination of those.

The majority of jobs are in PP. The majority are low base and poor benefits. Yes some of those offer legitimate opportunity to bonus and do well and some do not. That is podiatry like it or not. One always has the option to open their office in podiatry. Not easy to do, but at least the option is there for those who can pull it off and have the risk tolerance for it. Cut the number of graduates and over time things woukd improve dramatically.

I have never once said anything negative about Dr. Richie, yet you just group all of us on here and label everyone on SDN as attacking him or as self loathing etc You do this quite often grouping us all together and saying we all do this or that. In 2022 is it really the time to stereotype and throw everyone in a bucket?

I still believe ABFAS is the surgical board residents should aim to achieve. I have never labeled all ABPM podiatrists as poor surgeons. I have even said we are lucky we have 2 boards and one should try be boarded by ABPM if they can not be boarded by ABFAS. Outside of organizational jobs (which most will never have) in which ABFAS likely has a significant edge, unless you combine ABPM with a limb salvage fellowship, It really does not matter. I know plenty doing well that could not be boarded by ABFAS and they were not eligible for ABPM based on doing a PSR 24 or 36.. They are not certified by any board and their time has expired. Unless they move, which they will not, it will never matter for them most likely. The still have privileges at all the surgical centers and hospitals. Some parts of the country it matters, most it does not. It matter much more for hospitals than surgery centers. I also know some board certified ABAS podiatrists who have voluntarily given up their hospital privileges to make their life easier and prefer to just operate at their surgical center and refer to other podiatrists or tell their patient to go to the ER when necessary for a bad diabetic foot infection.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.