So you want to do large animal med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

m&ossyducks

If you are thinking of doing large animal medicine you will like this story :D...

So I have an interview next Tuesday.

However, this is what happened yesterday...I go to work at the large animal clinic in town. I am a vet tech there and mainly deal with food animal, some horses every now and again. Anyways, a lady shows up with 4 show heifers and 1 show bull. She goes on to tell me and the other guys how they are halter broke...Mistake number 1, do not assume the client knows squat about their animals. So I proceed to lead one of the younger heifers into our catch chute so we can give her some routine shots.

Now comes the fun part... The vet who I work with decides to get behind the heifer and tail her a bit, while in the mean time I am pulling on her halter trying to lead her into the chute. The plan was that I would lead her into the chute and once I was through we would catch her head. Well, that didn't happen!! The heifer got spooked and proceeded to launch me and my head into the head gate and chute. She plowed into me a second time and I became unconscious. I was propped up against the head gate with the heifer on my back from what people tell me. They finally put a board between me and the heifer and got me out of the chute. Once they got me down on the ground the heifer jumped over me.

Now, I wake up 15 minutes later to paramedics putting me on a spine board. I had to get 8 staples in my head and 2 cat scans while in the hospital. They told me I had a concussion and a couple of deep contusions and lacerations. Oh yeah, once I got home from the hospital the fun didn't stop. I decided to eat a little soup to make me feel better. That was a mistake 4 hours later when I vomitted it up all over the floor from the nausea.

I am fine now and get my staples out in 10 days. I guess I will have quite a story to tell the interviewers Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad.

I am glad that you are okay! I bet it will help your interview when they see your hard earned staples! Good luck in your interview and if you are wanting to go into large animal medicine it will show you really do have experience! :)

Wow, you will def have a story to talk about during your interview! Glad you're ok, that must have been pretty scary... Good luck with your interview, let us know how it goes!

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefully those staples are highly visible and you can work it in your interview ;)

glad you made it out ok!

Holey smokes!! I'm glad you're alright!! That has to get some bonus points in the interview. At the very least, you'll definately stand out to them :)

The veterinary field sure does have it's job hazards....

Ever read anything by Temple Grandin? I admit that I know very little about large animals, but she has some pretty amazing observations about the tiny things that can spook an animal while going into chutes. She is an autistic lady (and a PhD in animal science) who sees things quite differently than the rest of us. The book is called "Animals in Translation."

wow mossy! glad you made it out ok.

trials and tribulations of independent pea-brained beasts. lol.

wow mossy! glad you made it out ok.

trials and tribulations of independent pea-brained beasts. lol.

... and some owners. I never trust owners when they say what their animals know or are comfortable with and I'm always cautious with co-workers and their skills until I've seen them in practice (especially with large animals). Good luck with your interview!

Ever read anything by Temple Grandin? I admit that I know very little about large animals, but she has some pretty amazing observations about the tiny things that can spook an animal while going into chutes. She is an autistic lady (and a PhD in animal science) who sees things quite differently than the rest of us. The book is called "Animals in Translation."

I saw a show on tv a while back about her. She sounds really interesting.

I loved the way that she would walk through the cattle walk ways and such so that she could see what she would see if she were he cattle. :hardy:

Wow, getting into a squeeze with a cow - brilliant. Nice to see all that food animal "experience" paying off. You must be quite the hand. My hero. :sleep:

The plan was that I would lead her into the chute and once I was through we would catch her head.

I must say....getting into the chute with cattle whose temperament you don't know will cause these things to happen. So you were leading this cow up the chute with the headcatch in front of you, you were going to step through the headcatch and then get her once she poked her head through? Jeez....this is why you get the cows up the chute and in the headcatch from BEHIND....I don't know of anyone who would lead a cow up a chute. It just seems...well...stupid and dangerous.

The plan was that I would lead her into the chute and once I was through we would catch her head.

I must say....getting into the chute with cattle whose temperament you don't know will cause these things to happen. So you were leading this cow up the chute with the headcatch in front of you, you were going to step through the headcatch and then get her once she poked her head through? Jeez....this is why you get the cows up the chute and in the headcatch from BEHIND....I don't know of anyone who would lead a cow up a chute. It just seems...well...stupid and dangerous.

Ya'll this is very common practice on show heifers. They are usually halter broke and will not walk without being led. If you have never seen this done then you probably have never worked at a clinic with quality show cows. This ladies show heifers typically place at the big cattle shows in Denver and Houston.

With all that being said, I don't think I will be leading any show cows thru chutes anytime soon. :D My head still hurts from it!

Ya'll this is very common practice on show heifers. . . If you have never seen this done then you probably have never worked at a clinic with quality show cows. . . With all that being said, I don't think I will be leading any show cows thru chutes anytime soon.

Wait a minute, I thought we were just ignorant of your fancy "show cattle" handling techniques. By all means, if we are wrong, continue leading them into the chutes. Don't stop on account of us. Forgetting that animals, no matter the amount of training, don't give a crap about you, should lead to a long and healthy vet career.:thumbup:

And as for, "halter broke and won't walk without being led," how the hell do they get to food and water? Do they just stand around helpless until someone halters them. Yes sir, quite a hand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you guys are unnecessarily harsh. Maybe find a more constructive way to say things? Or am I missing the point of this forum?

The only thing I am dreading about vet school IF I get in.....arrogant people who 'get off' putting others down. I think she's learned her lesson guys...and you NEVER made a mistake?? Not once. Wow. YOU are my heroes. If you have to be an a** to get in, I guess I never will.I got bit by a cat Sat. who was in liver failure. I knew she had bit someone on Friday. She was so lethargic, and I was putting her into an icu cage and was trying to lay down a blanket for her at the same time, and hook up the iv to the catheter. I got bit. Oh crap! I can't be a small animal vet now b/c I was so stupid.

Oh lord, here comes the indignant facetiousness. Overexaggeration gets you nowhere.

I only saw one poster in this thread putting the other person down. Myself (since you told me earlier I was calling him/her stupid), well, I said the idea of getting in a squeeze ahead of a cow seemed stupid and dangerous. Not the OP. I didn't attack his/her brains or career. Easy, cowboy. No arrogance, just my opinion in my experience, and then he/she countered with his/her opinion and experience.

But yes, thank you for resorting to name calling yourself and referring to vet students as a**es even though on this ONE thread there was but ONE rudely and personally-oriented poster.

Do not take everything so seriously, and think that every contrary-to-Person-A's-opinion remark someone makes means they are getting off on being arrogant. Trust, me there are MUCH more arrogant people in the world than that - you as a vet will have to deal with them and will need a thicker skin.

can we all just get over ourselves, we're starting to look like the pre-allo forum here. not pretty.

can we all just get over ourselves, we're starting to look like the pre-allo forum here. not pretty.

:lol: So true.......

To the OP, it sucks that that happened. Glad you're okay. I worked with plenty of show animals (bovine that is) and NEVER lead one into a shute during my animal science degree. We were actually specifically told NEVER be in front of a cow/bull going into a shute. In fact I usually used some type of bar to follow them (or the old twist of the tail while on the side of the shute). It's interesting to know not everyone is trained that way. Guess you just had to be trained not to do that the hard way:oops:

Ya'll this is very common practice on show heifers. . . If you have never seen this done then you probably have never worked at a clinic with quality show cows.

My intention was not to offend anyone. However I could not let arrogance pass as experience. Simply view past postings by Mossy. He/she has used this forum as an anonymous venting outlet, often insulting the members. Being injured by an animal is an inevitability in a career with animals. Poor judgement and ignorant technique being lauded over us as cutting edge and obviously above the rest of us is unacceptable. This forum is a great resource for info and the passing of knowledge, not for the retelling of *****ic escapades as brave war stories. We all have learned lessons through experience, some good, some bad. Humility is a trait we would all be well served to learn. I am simply sick of thinly-veiled egos. I mean no harm, and hope everyone has a merry Christmas.

so true. I wondered if anyone else felt this way. I hate that most people, including myself, feel like they have to include things such as "in my opinion" and clarify every little thing exactly as it was meant in an attempt to not offend anyone in any way, shape, or form. If you're posting something, I'm guessing that yes! that IS YOUR opinion, and me nor anyone else should have to clarify that. In most of my posts I feel like I am walking on eggshells and have to go back through after I post and make sure I didn't say anything that could remotely offend anyone:rolleyes: I mean come on, if we all always got along perfectly and had the same opinions then the world would probably end:) Not saying anyone should pick fights over stupid stuff, but seriously, if you disagree about something then that's cool, go for it. And before you go on a rant about how offended you are over something dumb and little, think about how much worse it could be. I've had much more offensive things said to me then anyone on here has said to anyone else that I was able to just roll my eyes at and brush it off. If someone hasn't had more offensive things said to them than anyone on here has said, then tell me where you live because I want to come join you ;)

I just thought I'd be the devil's advocate and say that as (future) vets we will have to 'monitor' what we say when we deal with clients and staff. Some people are just more sensitive than others. Just because you may have a thick skin, you can't forget that others may not. So watching your words when writing a post can be good practice for the real (PC) world (and I'm sure posters appreciate a polite response).

For example, today we had a client with a very overweight pet. She was following the instructions on the food bag, giving several excess cups of food each day -- even though the animal was obviously very overweight. She thought she had to follow the bag's instructions. While this may make you want to say, "wow, I didn't think it was possible to be that clueless".... saying that to a client will not fly.

Having an opinion is necessary and a good thing, but we do need a good 'bedside manner'. Doesn't hurt to practice it in the written form as well : )

Mossy, let us know how the interview goes...good luck today! :luck:

:thumbup:

The only thing I am dreading about vet school IF I get in.....arrogant people who 'get off' putting others down. I think she's learned her lesson guys...and you NEVER made a mistake?? Not once. Wow. YOU are my heroes.

If you have to be an a** to get in, I guess I never will.

I got bit by a cat Sat. who was in liver failure. I knew she had bit someone on Friday. She was so lethargic, and I was putting her into an icu cage and was trying to lay down a blanket for her at the same time, and hook up the iv to the catheter. I got bit. Oh crap! I can't be a small animal vet now b/c I was so stupid.

For someone who is constantly dumping all over everyone else's attitude, you have quite the attitude yourself.

please take a moment to consider the brilliance of this picture. made me think of this thread.. hope you guys shed as many tears as i did laughing over this one:

funny-pictures-horse-in-car.jpg

He's TERRIFIED. ahahaha. mossy, i hope that doesnt happen to you next time you see a cow.

please take a moment to consider the brilliance of this picture. made me think of this thread.. hope you guys shed as many tears as i did laughing over this one:

funny-pictures-horse-in-car.jpg

He's TERRIFIED. ahahaha. mossy, i hope that doesnt happen to you next time you see a cow.

I thoroughly enjoyed the picture. There's nothing better than pure fear in a child's eyes ;)

In the "real (PC) world" I would not sit and mull over everything I was going to say before I said it to make sure it wouldn't offend anyone, and there's always going to be people who are offensive or blunt, so I don't know what real world you're talking about, but in this real world you just need to man up, not go off crying in the corner just because someone who wasn't even trying to offend you did. I wouldn't say that exact thing to your client, but I still wouldn't act like I was walking on thin ice and beat around the bush with her like it seems you're wanting to do. I would just say something like "those guidelines are recommendations for a dog with a healthy weight, your's is overweight so you need to feed less", simple as that. I wouldn't tiptoe around her hoping that she doesn't feel "offended" because that's not an offending statement, and some people may not take your advice seriously if you don't make obvious what you're trying to say. The way I see it, if she didn't understand that if your dog is overweight then feed less (common sense), then she needs to be told in a very obvious way or else she'll miss the point. I shadowed a vet who was very shameless in his answers and told people point blank if what they were doing was dumb and that they needed to do something else, and he was never ever hurting for clients; his office hours were always booked full, with several walk-ins waiting. I actually had several people tell me they liked that he was very blunt with his answers. If you're good at what you do, get things done, and don't make it look like you're out for the client's money, then the people will come (as long as you're not down right insulting/degrading them either of course).
As a sidenote, my boyfriend has came on here a few times reading posts and he always make the comment to me "people get offended easily, don't they?"

Also, I LOVE LOVE :love:those pictures like that with the captions, makes me crack up everytime. Some of those captions are just perfect. :laugh:

"Hay Sup"? Pure genius.

I think we both agree, we just say it different ways. Being direct without offending people can be difficult.

I think we both agree, we just say it different ways. Being direct without offending people can be difficult.

Ah, and I forgot to add that it's so easy to interpret posts in very different ways.

Two people who see the same situation will walk away with two different stories.

I learned never to stand directly in front of these large animals when a horse I was holding (I was facing his head, directly in front of him) leaped forward at me, hit me in the chest and sent me flying backwards (head-first) into a gravel driveway. He launched me about 15 feet. No major injuries but wow, lesson learned~~!!!

I'm glad you're okay. That could've been a lot more serious. Make sure you take it easy and allow yourself to recover fully.

I just thought I'd be the devil's advocate and say that as (future) vets we will have to 'monitor' what we say when we deal with clients and staff. Some people are just more sensitive than others. Just because you may have a thick skin, you can't forget that others may not. So watching your words when writing a post can be good practice for the real (PC) world (and I'm sure posters appreciate a polite response).

For example, today we had a client with a very overweight pet. She was following the instructions on the food bag, giving several excess cups of food each day -- even though the animal was obviously very overweight. She thought she had to follow the bag's instructions. While this may make you want to say, "wow, I didn't think it was possible to be that clueless".... saying that to a client will not fly.

Having an opinion is necessary and a good thing, but we do need a good 'bedside manner'. Doesn't hurt to practice it in the written form as well : )

I will be honest with you and tell you I am very frank with my clients. Some folks expect me to be more PC and don't come back, but those who stick around gain respect and trust for me they would not have for a Vet who 'talks the talk'. People on here can attest to this, I will speak my mind whether you or whomever likes it. You will see with time that clients can see through the PC.

I have had clients who are very prominent members of my city who feel they are as knowledgeable about animal health as I. Even though I spent eight years in school. These clients watched a few E-Vet Intern episodes and can all of a sudden diagnose Sarcoma. It's amazing, really.

I have had a client tell me that her Chinese Crested was a very rare breed out of the horn of Africa. The breeder told her that her Crested had the potential to be a very very rare and special Crested because it was hairless. This same client tried to convince me that my sons doberman would eventually turn on him as soon as it's brain outgrew it's skull. You do the math.

A lot of the time, these clients can be a lot of fun and lighten the mood. Many times, they do not take offense to what I say and realize that I am the Doctor and they come to me for services for a reason, not because I have a white coat and script. Most will respect your sharp honesty and frankness. People do not come to me to speak with a 'yes' man.

I hired a Vet out of Tufts-Cummings, he was miserable. He rarely ever provided his own opinion, always telling the client what they wanted to hear. A family brought their Great Dane in, they wanted a crop. I offered to do the crop as I've done thousands over the years and, in my opinion (how's that for PC!), I am pretty damn good at them! They wanted a short APBT crop, I told them they were nuts and it would look like **** (Yes, I used that exact word). They were offended and asked my newly hired vet to do the crop, he had never done a crop before but since it was such a short crop they were requesting I agreed to allow him to perform the procedure. My vet tech told me that in the consultation, this vet told the client that he felt the crop would look very good on her pup. He was telling her what she wanted to hear, which is very east to do. Long story short, the crop went well and once healed, looked ****ty. Just as I had told her. The dog is an excellent dog and I am still absolutely beside myself with what this lady had done to the dog out of pure ignorance and arrogance. Now when clients ask to see pictures of crops this vet has done, he has this Great Dane to explain.

Bottom line, nobody likes a 'yes' man. If you speak your mind and not your wallet, you'll gain a lot of respect in this profession.