so, you've matched into a psychiatry residency...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you guys recommend any good intro text to psychiatry? Would it be a good idea to learn the ins and outs of all the psych drugs before starting? Anything else I should do before residency starts?

As long as you paid attention somewhat during medical school you'll be fine. You'll have plenty of time after starting residency to read & look up information relevant to your patients as they come. Books aside, I would recommend thinking about how you'd introduce new drugs and their common side effects to patients, as this is a skill in itself. And also when to not prescribe or to deprescribe.

Also be prepared to see a whole variety of "styles" when it comes to prescribing and to think about what evidence may or may not be present as well as what potential harm may be incurred. You have a right to question both as a learner and as someone involved in another person's treatment.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As long as you paid attention somewhat during medical school you'll be fine. You'll have plenty of time after starting residency to read & look up information relevant to your patients as they come. Books aside, I would recommend thinking about how you'd introduce new drugs and their common side effects to patients, as this is a skill in itself. And also when to not prescribe or to deprescribe.

Also be prepared to see a whole variety of "styles" when it comes to prescribing and to think about what evidence may or may not be present as well as what potential harm may be incurred. You have a right to question both as a learner and as someone involved in another person's treatment.

I did well in medical school. Unfortunately, I've forgotten everything.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you guys recommend any good intro text to psychiatry? Would it be a good idea to learn the ins and outs of all the psych drugs before starting? Anything else I should do before residency starts?

Just re-read the purple First Aid psychiatry book. You can do it in a couple hours and refresh your brain and then enjoy your time before residency. Things to do before residency is just get your life organized and get settled in to wherever you're moving. Nothing sucks worse than trying to scramble to get your home life together while trying to start med school or residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you guys recommend any good intro text to psychiatry?

As mentioned K&S is the standard psych textbook but unlike other standard texts (e.g. Harrison's Internal Medicine) several psychiatrists have problems with it and it's not profession-wide seen as the great book Harrison's is among IM physicians.

I, however, don't have a great book to otherwise tell you to buy that would fit the bill as being as good as Harrison's.

Residency doesnt suck. Residency is what it is. Your expectations suck big time. Your expectations lead to cognitive distortions which eventually lead to burnout. So it is not the residency but you are the reason of burnout.

- I have worked very hard for this. Now I am a physician!! I will be respected by my colleagues and the patients!!!!!!!
- There will be wonderful like-minded colleagues and attendings to work with!!!
- Ancillary staff will be very helpful and as a team we will be efficiently treating many people who need help!!!!
- I read many books!!!! i will be able to solve the mysteries and puzzles in most difficult cases!!! I will change my patients lives !!!!!!!
- My ideas and advices will be appreciated by my attendings, co-residents and ancillary staff!!! I will shine as a resident in the program!!!
- I am going somewhere in which there are wonderful people!!! They are all very eager to teach me and learn from me!!! Such a collaborative environment!!!
-I will be treated as a doctor during residency and because of my achievements I will be well respected!!!

With couple of these cognitive distortions you have, if not all, you should feel extremely blessed and lucky If you do not feel burnout by the 6th. month of intern year.

This is true but I would add it is hard not to burn out working 72 hours a week or having a 2 day weekend once every 8 weeks, and having virtually no control over your schedule. You are going to miss a lot of weddings, a lot of parties, probably some funerals. It will suck. It gets better after 2nd year though.

Also, every resident should have a therapist! It's really great to have someone who is completely removed from your life with whom you can process all the crap you will be going through. Plus, it will help you feel less awkward when you start therapy as the professional.

Also, every resident should have a therapist! It's really great to have someone who is completely removed from your life with whom you can process all the crap you will be going through.
This really isn't necessary for everyone. And it could become just an added expense which takes up precious time. I wouldn't discourage someone from going to therapy if desired, but I also wouldn't push everyone to it.

Also, interesting points about letting yourself become subsumed by “the process.” For me, the difference between exhaustion and burnout is a sustained sense of meaning in what I’m doing, that I’m continuing to have an important impact on the world through my efforts. Part of the appeal of high stress situations is that they can pull people together; being surrounded by a group of people I respect and trust is an easy way to sustain that sense of meaning when I question whether or not my patients are getting better, if I’m practicing “real medicine” etc. or through that period of training holding a constantly repopulating “to-do list.” Of course, the same logic in extreme could apply to a cult, which is why having a sense of meaning outside of work is nice.

I should clarify that subsuming to the process is an interim mechanism of survival in this "training" system.

I don't think there's much meaning in me being exploited for cheap labor by a hospital administration that can afford more attendings and ancillary staff, but why would they if they can spit out the same number of admissions and discharges with the number of residents they have now?

Doesn't matter to them that every unjustified admission, every consult I have to bully because our respective attendings are too damn important to talk directly to each other, every useless note I put in so the hospital can bill for more money, every patient languishing days on our service for no acute medical reason because their insurance isn't accepted by rehab, every patient whose admission we block because they are uninsured and "will be a dispo issue", every pager beep, every additive hour I get to the hospital before everyone else do pre-round so attendings don't have to lift their little index finger and click to check labs themselves--doesn't matter that all these things chip, chip, away at my sanity a little bit every day. Meanwhile another shiny cardiology or VIP suite gets built.

Yes people are nice. Yes the end result can be meaningful for both us and for patients. Someone has to do the work, to a the extent that there is real work to be done. I'm learning something despite this morass of paperwork. Yes I'm grateful to have this job.

It doesn't mean I don't also see how this bull dehumanizes us then tells us to go do a little wellness activity or get therapy with our abundant time. Or that you're complaining, you're weak for "burning out." Is it burning out if I'm angry, want things to change, and believe they can? I don't want patients to get sub-par care because we're stretched thin. I don't want more residents to commit suicide. Unionizing is looking good right about now.

Last edited:
I should clarify that subsuming to the process is an interim mechanism of survival in this "training" system.

I don't think there's much meaning in me being exploited for cheap labor by a hospital administration that can afford more attendings and ancillary staff, but why would they if they can spit out the same number of admissions and discharges with the number of residents they have now?

Doesn't matter to them that every unjustified admission, every consult I have to bully because our respective attendings are too damn important to talk directly to each other, every useless note I put in so the hospital can bill for more money, every patient languishing days on our service for no acute medical reason because their insurance isn't accepted by rehab, every patient whose admission we block because they are uninsured and "will be a dispo issue", every pager beep, every additive hour I get to the hospital before everyone else do pre-round so attendings don't have to lift their little index finger and click to check labs themselves--doesn't matter that all these things chip, chip, away at my sanity a little bit every day. Meanwhile another shiny cardiology or VIP suite gets built.

Yes people are nice. Yes the end result can be meaningful for both us and for patients. Someone has to do the work, to a the extent that there is real work to be done. I'm learning something despite this morass of paperwork. Yes I'm grateful to have this job.

It doesn't mean I don't also see how this bull dehumanizes us then tells us to go do a little wellness activity or get therapy with our abundant time. Or that you're complaining, you're weak for "burning out." Is it burning out if I'm angry, want things to change, and believe they can? I don't want patients to get sub-par care because we're stretched thin. I don't want more residents to commit suicide. Unionizing is looking good right about now.
Sounds like medicine rotations have gotten to you. I feel you. Rejoice - the intern year is almost over, and the mindless grind of hospitalist medicine will be over soon, too - and no more of it for the rest of your life.
(Disclaimer: I'm not discounting the importance of hospitality medicine or the necessity of a solid medicine foundation for psychiatrists, but the way hospitalist medicine is practiced, it's been the most demoralizing and dehumanizing experience of my medical training so far.)

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like medicine rotations have gotten to you. I feel you. Rejoice - the intern year is almost over, and the mindless grind of hospitalist medicine will be over soon, too - and no more of it for the rest of your life.
(Disclaimer: I'm not discounting the importance of hospitality medicine or the necessity of a solid medicine foundation for psychiatrists, but the way hospitalist medicine is practiced, it's been the most demoralizing and dehumanizing experience of my medical training so far.)

It's actually Neurology I have the most issue with :laugh:. So close to psychiatry...yet so far. The particular service here is so over-worked that the neurology residents ask us off-service rotators to provide feedback for them so that more residents don't burn out. They're too afraid to do so themselves, I've been told. If there's any joy I have in rotating on their service it's doing my little piece so that my over-worked seniors don't have more on their plate. I do rejoice though. I rejoice that as we gain more nominal authority and stoke the fires of discontent, more residents will push back. Also the weather's getting warmer, so there's that.

Also trudging through my medicine/neuro months. Mine aren't even bad as far as medicine months go, but it's just sort of exhausting and I miss my co-interns and the patients in psych. Solidarity fist bump for anybody else trudging through medicine right now.

Reactions: 2 users

You ever heard of Pamela Wible? I think her podcasts might provide you with some solace.

"Burnout"

It's actually Neurology I have the most issue with :laugh:. So close to psychiatry...yet so far. The particular service here is so over-worked that the neurology residents ask us off-service rotators to provide feedback for them so that more residents don't burn out. They're too afraid to do so themselves, I've been told. If there's any joy I have in rotating on their service it's doing my little piece so that my over-worked seniors don't have more on their plate. I do rejoice though. I rejoice that as we gain more nominal authority and stoke the fires of discontent, more residents will push back. Also the weather's getting warmer, so there's that.

Yeah, neuro can be a real slog. Its been so many years, and yet I still remember the rote order sets for CVA (check A1C/cholesterol, add/adjust statin, TTE w/ bubble, adjust ASA +/- Plavix), do the cursory neuro exam knowing that everyone gets an MRI inevitably. Watch as patients either get dumped or struggle with families, then wait for rehab. I get why so many places are replacing this service with either telemedicine or midlevels, and psych PDs will hopefully appreciate that inpatient general neuro is not the most educational experience.

Which is a shame, since its some of the most interesting pathology. Neuro was easily one of the most burnt out services during my residency.

....congrats!

Many of my students did not get their 1st choice (or even 2nd choice) program. There is this myth that everyone will get their top choice in psychiatry, and while the odds are good clearly that isn't true. I did not match at my first choice and know a lot of people who didn't (in fact they didn't even rank me despite telling my mentor who worked there that I had a good chance). But there's a stigma about it. People don't talk about. It's just assumed. When applicants asked me "why did you choose this program", I was just thinking "I didn't". After the initial shock and 4 years later I have to say it worked out very, very well and I think I would not have been well suited to my no.1. Remember, you are about to become a physician and begin your training in the most fascinating field of medicine and you can live where you want and practice where you want once you've finished. The outlook is very good because of how ridiculously uncompetitive fellowships are and the job market is very good compared to most other fields of medicine. You will likely enjoy a satisfying career that allows you to privilege lifestyle and be in at least the top 5% of earners.

Here are my thoughts:

1. It's open season on psychiatrists
Psychiatrists have long fallen from grace in the eyes of the public. Always the ugly step-child of medicine, psychiatrists were once the most respected medical specialtists by the general public. Today psychiatrists are seen as preaching pseudoscience, pathologizing all of mental life, peddling quack treatments, often under coercion or control and beholden to the pharmaceutical companies, ready to label and medicate anything that moves. The unholy alliance of psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry has severely undermined the credibility of the profession.

2. Good enough is NOT good enough
As a result, it is no longer acceptable to simply want to be a "good-enough" psychiatrist in the Winnicottian sense. You should be aspiring to be the best psychiatrist you can - you owe to your chosen profession and your patients.

3. Learn the language of psychiatry
Descriptive psychopathology is the language of psychiatry and yet the vast majority of American psychiatrists lack fluency in it. If you don't know the difference between hallucinations and pseudohallucinations, pallilalia and verbigeration, word salad and transcortical sensory aphasia, ultradian cycling and emotional lability, then you will be diagnosing everyone with borderline personality disorder and schizoaffective disorder, and missing real brain disease like fronto-temporal dementia, stroke, epilepsy, and failing to distinguish psychosis from neurosis, and character disorder from neurosis. Potentially with disastrous consequences.

Fish's Clinical Psychopathology is a good place to start (though I prefer to older edition by Max Hamilton). Symptoms in the Mind by Sims is another.

For the adventurous:
Kraepelin E. Manic-Depressive Insanity and Paranoia. Edinburgh: Livingstone, 1921
Jaspers J. General Psychopathology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1953
Bleuler E. Dementia Praecox: Or, the Group of Schizophrenias. New York: International Universities Press, 1950
Schneider K. Clinical Psychopathology. New York: Grune & Stratton, 1959

4. You can't make a diagnosis you haven't heard of before
Not heard of Ganser's syndrome, De Clerembault Syndrome, Othello Syndrome, Capgras syndrome, or Cotard syndrome? Then how will you ever identify them? (I have seen several cases of each of these)

Check out:
Enoch MD, Trethowan WH. Uncommon psychiatric syndromes. Bristol: John Wright & Sons, 1979
Friedmann CTH, Fauget RA. (Eds.) Extraordinary disorders of human behavior. New York: Plenum Press, 1982

5. Don't forget about the Brain!
While learning about the neurobiological basis of psychiatric syndromes is all well and good some of this is pseudoscience and the rest does not have any clinical relevance. But having a working knowledge of the neuroanatomy of emotion is a must for the 21st century psychiatrist.

Also being able to recognize when your patient actually has brain disease is the most important thing you can do as a psychiatrist! But it requires suspicious, curiosity, and the last point, for you to have heard of the diagnosis. I have seen patients with VGKC antibody limbic encephalitis presenting with catatonia, SLE presenting with schizophreniform psychosis, frontal-variant Alzheimer's presenting as mania, temporal lobe epilepsy presenting as intermittent explosive disorder , bvFTD presenting as psychotic depression, semantic dementia presenting as depression etc... sadly neuropsychiatry is not part of the skillset of the general psychiatrists and many patients are being misdiagnosed.

Check out:
Lishman's Organic Psychiatry
Texbook of Clinical Neuropsychiatry

6. Step out of your comfort zone
We learn the most when we step out of our comfort zone. in fact there are probalby only a few months of your entire residency where most of your learning happens. Adapted from Donald Light's sociological calendar - these are probably your first month of medicine, first month of inpatient psych, first nightfloat/night call block, first therapy patient, starting outpatient. If you are averse to psychotherapy then learn as much as you can and get as much experience in this. If you are not keen on psychopharm, master this and take on complex psychopharm cases. If you don't like child psychiatry, push yourself to get the most out of it or even do extra rotations.

7. You can't learn it all
General psychiatrists are notoriously woeful at group therapy, family therapy, couples therapy, psychosexual medicine, sleep medicine, managing eating disorders, paraphilias, dissociative disorders, somatization, intellectual disability and autistic spectrum disorders. You may have to use your elective time, attend conferneces, do parallel additional training (especially for the psychotherapies) or learning after residency to get comfortable with some of these other areas. This does not necessarily mean doing a fellowship however. Medicine really is about lifelong learning

8. Explore what excites you and run with it
Intern year can be a drag. PGY-2 year can suck even more. You will enjoy your experience better if you can remember what it was that excited you about the specialty if the first place. If there wasn't anything - find it. Maybe its bioethics, palliative medicine, public psychiatry, forensics, addictions, psychodynamics, clinical neuroscience, administration, teaching, clinical interviewing, public engagement, technology ... whatever it is tell everyone what you're interests are. Try and make your rotations relevant to this. Meet with people early to see how to cultivate these interests. Identify kindred spirits (cointerns, residents, or psychiatrists in practice) who will support these interests and provide mentorship.

9. Find a mentor...or 10
Mentoring is extremely important for personal and professional development. Mentors don't have to be senior psychiatrists (or even psychiatrists at all). You may find that actually junior faculty and more available to help with that. Peer mentors (fellow residents) may also be invaluable. Look outside your program too - only a tiny minority of programs have "everything". Although it's better to have a connection put you in touch with someone, or use databases (for example AAAP has a mentoring database to identify psychiatrists) you can just ask people whether they would. Be gracious, you need to put in most of the effort, make the time for it, don't take your mentors for granted. Most of my mentors were not at my residency program. If you're interested in psychodynamics but don't have anyone at your program the AAPDP has a mentoring program (you can use skype etc).

And pay it forward...mentor medical students and undergrads etc - you have more to offer than you think!

10. Take advantage of opportunities outside of your program
If you're interested in global mental health but your program doesn't have opportunities other programs do! If you're interested in psychoanalytic training then you can do this with a local analytic institute. This can sometimes be done remotely if you aren't near one. There are training on a whole bunch of other therapies like hypnosis, EMDR, IPT, ISTDP, mentalization based treatment - it's usually much cheaper to do this as a resident.

There are also various national opportunities - for example the APA has a number of fellowship programs (public psych, minority, child psych, leadership) that provide leadership training, networking and mentoring opportunities. The NNCI has a scholarship program for residents interested in neuroscience education. the ACP has a PRITE Fellowship if you fancy writing the questions! the GAP has a fellowship program if you fancy writing on a taskforce and hob-knobbing with the great and good of American Psychiatry. There are usually travel awards to attend conferences such as the APM (psychosomatic), AAGP (geriatrics), AAAP (addictions), ASAM (addictions) meetings (or if you volunteer it will be free). These opportunities also allow you to meet with residents etc outside of your training program and develop your professional network and make friends etc. You will also be enthusiastically welcome if you wish to get involved with the subspecialty organizations or with your state psychiatric association/district branch.

11. Residency is supposed to suck
People who whine about how awful residency is typically do so from a vantage point of thinking that is supposed to be some wonderful utopia where they don't have to do any work and will be so much better than med school etc. Hate to break it to you but it is supposed to suck. Look at the facts: you don't have much autonomy or control, you are trapped because you can't afford to quit and it's hard to move around, likely crushed with six-figure debt, you are underpaid and at the mercy of people who could end your career if they so wished. It has all the hallmarks of what sociologists would call high job strain: a recipe for poor health.

Over 50% of psychiatry residents experience burn out. One of the reasons IMGs have much lower burnout rates is because they don't have a sense of entitlement or expectation of how wonderful it will be - they are grateful to have gotten a residency position and know that at the end of it they will enjoy significant autonomy and command a handsome salary.

If you remember it's supposed to suck you will enjoy it more because it's not as bad as that.

12. ...Remember you get to have a life!
Though the first year or two of residency can be hard, it's not surgery or one of those other dreadful specialties where the departrments own you and would begrudge you having a life. Enjoy your family, friends, old hobbies, new ones, traveling, etc etc.
What year resident were you when you wrote this? Regardless, well-done!!!

" Today psychiatrists are seen as preaching pseudoscience. The unholy alliance of psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry has severely undermined the credibility of the profession.
If you're interested in psychoanalytic training then you can do this with a local analytic institute. There are training on a whole bunch of other therapies like hypnosis, EMDR... "

Ha!

• Haha
" Today psychiatrists are seen as preaching pseudoscience. The unholy alliance of psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry has severely undermined the credibility of the profession.
If you're interested in psychoanalytic training then you can do this with a local analytic institute. There are training on a whole bunch of other therapies like hypnosis, EMDR... "

Ha!

I'm actually sort of fascinated by this idea. From my perspective I feel like it's the opposite; psychiatry is more respected now than in the past and psychiatry is far more within the fold of medicine than in years precisely because of the emphasis on the biological underpinnings of mental illness and the rise of psychopharm. Also at what point in human history were psychiatrists the most-respected doctors?

I'm actually sort of fascinated by this idea. From my perspective I feel like it's the opposite; psychiatry is more respected now than in the past and psychiatry is far more within the fold of medicine than in years precisely because of the emphasis on the biological underpinnings of mental illness and the rise of psychopharm. Also at what point in human history were psychiatrists the most-respected doctors?

I've heard that post-WWII into the 50's was a well respected time for psych.

I've heard that post-WWII into the 50's was a well respected time for psych.

I heard that too... from splik, in another thread.

It would be surprising tbh, maybe psychiatry was in demand but stigma was high, psychoanalysis was dominant and the transorbital lobotomy was at its peak... maybe that`s why it was respected, the leucotomy did earn the field a Nobel prize!

I heard that too... from splik, in another thread.

It would be surprising tbh, maybe psychiatry was in demand but stigma was high, psychoanalysis was dominant and the transorbital lobotomy was at its peak... maybe that`s why it was respected, the leucotomy did earn the field a Nobel prize!
Psychiatrists were more respected than other physicians after WWII - there were a few reasons for this. First was the success and importance of psychiatry to treating wounded veterans of WWII. The second was the rise of psychoanalysis which at the time pushed psychiatry amongst the intelligentsia and the circles of Hollywood. The third was that other fields of medicine couldn’t really treat anyone - there were few successful treatments so patients just died. In the intervening years there has been enormous advances in medicine and surgery and none in psychiatry. The most effective treatment we have is from the 1930s...