SOAP and unfilled positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schmartdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about SOAP and how residencies are allotted post-March 15th.

I know that in the past, there was an unorganized "scramble" post-March 15 during which those who were ECFMG certified could contact programs with unfilled positions with their step scores, etc.

Now, could ECFMG certified applicants who did not participate in the match contact programs that have unfilled positions post-SOAP?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about SOAP and how residencies are allotted post-March 15th.

I know that in the past, there was an unorganized "scramble" post-March 15 during which those who were ECFMG certified could contact programs with unfilled positions with their step scores, etc.

Now, could ECFMG certified applicants who did not participate in the match contact programs that have unfilled positions post-SOAP?

Yes. Once SOAP is over, those who have not registered with NRMP (IMG or otherwise) can contact programs with open spots to their heart's content.

It will likely be a very short list of programs by that time (assuming prelim surg isn't a goal of yours).

Thanks for the reply. Is it correct that post-SOAP the programs can be contacted directly by email or fax?

Thanks for the reply. Is it correct that post-SOAP the programs can be contacted directly by email or fax?

However you want -- the rules of the game end after SOAP. But note the above post -- there will be very slim pickings after SOAP, because it's a lot more efficient than the scramble -- fewer gems will slip through the cracks.

In case it wasn't clear from the prior posts, you'd be better off registering for ERAS and NRMP, and participating in SOAP, if at all possible, even if you're not participating in the main match. The overall cost is small. The chances of getting a spot are not great, and you're limited in how many programs to which you can apply. But better to participate in SOAP, and then you can still apply afterwards too. If you don't qualify for SOAP (i.e. you're not ECFMG eligible by the deadline), then you're stuck.