SOAPing people!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NRMP/ERAS system is garbage IMO.

You guys should see the Canadian residency application system. Much more advanced, and best of all you can UPDATE YOUR APPLICATION FOR SECOND ROUND (ie: SOAP).

NRMP/ERAS need to step up their game.

Members don't see this ad.

Do we know how many of us are scrambling ?

Wow, may NOT be that off (just a couple of thousand off). Here some stats:

2001 applicants to unmatched PGY-1 spots: 5627---then a near-constant climb--2010: 8794.

Also, a near-constant decline in the number of unfilled positions: 1060 in 2010. (It's much fewer this year, as we, the unfortunately privileged ones know).

I got a call from another program. This time west coast. All together it will be 5. They are still reviewing applications so dont loose hope guys. Everyone is New to this process so we all dont know what to expect.
Good luck once again. It will all be good. Think positive.
Yea just hang tight, I got a total of 6 or so calls, 4 recently afternoon, 1 of which I was lucky enough to go in person to interview at. I think they will continue coming in until at least 1-2 hours before ROL is due

Those of you that have received calls or other contact from PDs, can you specify what field they were in. I have applied to Rads, anes, and prelim surg. I received an email from a anesthesia PD, thats the only contact I have received so far.

Wow, may NOT be that off (just a couple of thousand off). Here some stats:

2001 applicants to unmatched PGY-1 spots: 5627---then a near-constant climb--2010: 8794.

Also, a near-constant decline in the number of unfilled positions: 1060 in 2010. (It's much fewer this year, as we, the unfortunately privileged ones know).

There are 1100 unfilled spots this year. (44% of which are prelim surgery spots.)

Those of you that have received calls or other contact from PDs, can you specify what field they were in. I have applied to Rads, anes, and prelim surg. I received an email from a anesthesia PD, thats the only contact I have received so far.

FM only. Which may explain why i got more calls. Hang in there :xf:

There are 1100 unfilled spots this year. (44% of which are prelim surgery spots.)

1100? Ok, I eyeballed the numbers and they seemed to add to lesser. Still few compared to the number of expected applicants.

yeah, GS prelim takes the cake.

Edit: oh but wait, don't think that's accurate. anyway.

Last edited:
Can you email programs that do not participate in SOAP? Or is that a violation to NRMP rules?

If programs are specifically stating they are not participating in SOAP, they are likely choosing to go unfilled rather than get a scramble applicant.

To answer your question thought, I don't know if emailing a non SOAP program is a violation. Where is aPD when you need him? Probably sleeping at this time of night. :)

1100? Ok, I eyeballed the numbers and they seemed to add to lesser. Still few compared to the number of expected applicants.

yeah, GS prelim takes the cake.

Edit: oh but wait, don't think that's accurate. anyway.

That number assumes the regional match statistics are accurate... Anyways, had plenty of time to play with some numbers during the 12+ hours I spent staring at the computer screen. So I can also tell you that the 30 programs I applied to for prelim surgery had 102 positions available. And yet despite applying for about 1 of every 11 total positions and nearly 1 in 5 prelim surgery positions, I have yet to get a call.... Tough year for DO's trying to match MD surgery.

I applied to 30 Prelim Surgery spots and got 10 phone interviews over the course of these two days. I hope that I get an offer from at last one of these, and also that everyone finds something by the end of tomorrow. Good luck all

I applied to 30 Prelim Surgery spots and got 10 phone interviews over the course of these two days. I hope that I get an offer from at last one of these, and also that everyone finds something by the end of tomorrow. Good luck all

Thanks for the update. Are you interested in surgery residency after the prelim year?

I honestly hope you are not kidding!! People out there in a pretty bad shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gKyRmic20&ob=av3e

All the best to everyone going through a difficult process. You've come so far. What's another obstacle? Simply one of many you've already overcome and many more that you will encounter.

Honestly, thank you for that. The song is empowering and we absolutely shouldn't give up when we've come this far.

But, yet, somehow... why do I feel "Rick Rolled?" :cool:

^lol at the gif.

I'm gonna go apply for a job at macdonalds.

You laugh about applying to McDonalds, but the job market for a MD with no residency is basically dead. I was lucky to track into a tenure-track assistant professor job at a very small college, but only because I was a "star student" there during college (in quotes because the avg student there just didnt care), and I worked as a lab instructor for a year before I got promoted, and they also didn't have a professor who knew A&P. While working as the lab instructor, I applied to over 500 jobs of every possible type, and received two interviews. Don't even bother applying to jobs on USAJOBS.com, because you'll never get it over someone who has any military experience (not bad talking the military, but the point-based system they use is insurmountable.)

Cool story bro: After I resigned from my professor job to pursue residency I started getting a bad feeling because I only got a couple of interviews. My previous job was unavailable, and I know the job market is so bad, so I considered going to nursing school at the same college I taught at because they get paid well and you can keep working while pursuing an advanced nursing degree. I went and talked to the school. Because I am a FMG, they would not count my medical school education as "credit" for the two anatomy & physiology classes at the school. The same classes that I taught! They were going to make me take the classes that I one year before was responsible for every aspect of teaching both the lectures and labs for. Now that I matched, I feel funny, because my degree is good enough to practice medicine, cut people open, and save lives, but it wasn't good enough to skip a class that I had been teaching, or to get a number of other jobs that require 1/100th the responsibility of being a doctor. I'm just so damn grateful. I can't wait to start and be the absolute best resident that I can.

Is anyone getting phone calls this morning? Talking to PD's yesturday, it seems like they obviously didn't have time to go through all the applicants, with a few hours left before round 1, wondering if they're still calling

Uhm.. I'm sure he/she did very well.

I'd like to think so, but honestly, it really caught me off guard. I would have bet money I wouldn't be receiving any calls this morning. I know I still had my just-woke-up--and-havent-had-my-coffee-yet voice, and for whatever reason the phone connection was poor.

C'est la vie.

At least now I don't feel so rejected. Sure that will change in an hour. lol.

good luck to everyone:luck:

I had 10 interviews, and 2 offers in this initial round, one of which never even contacted me.

I'll give it a little time, but each person may only get up to 2 offers this first round.

I had 10 interviews, and 2 offers in this initial round, one of which never even contacted me.

I'll give it a little time, but each person may only get up to 2 offers this first round.

Which specialty is the never-contacted for?
-----
Never mind, found your earlier post. Congrats!

UGH. No offers. Figures I only had 1 phone interview and one random email saying they looked at my app but didn't say if they liked me or not

Not the way it works. Programs only send a limited number of offers per round, there is no limit on the number applicants receive.

You are probably ranked by the programs that interviewed you but didn't offer, you're just lower on the list than they have available spots.

The question is do you take the offer or hope you'll do better in the next round?

I'd take the offer. Good luck everybody.

good for you! and thanks for that info about 1 offer sent to you even if they didn't contact you. i guess anything goes.

unfortunately, nothing here also

10 interviews! Holy smokes! These were during the SOAP, too? I'm glad you got something. I'm glad to hear that you dont necessarily need an interview to potentially get an offer.

Assuming this is all I get this round, I am definitely going to take one of these two offers - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. But it goes to show how much of a crapshoot this process is, even at this point.

nothing for me either.

dean from my school said that its frustrating for them not to be able to call and advocate for us if we had an unusual circumstance over the years.

Assuming this is all I get this round, I am definitely going to take one of these two offers - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. But it goes to show how much of a crapshoot this process is, even at this point.

Please specify the specialties.

I don't think you are getting more offers before 3pm, they should all be released at the same time, so it's 2 for you for this round. I would definitely grab one.

I don't think you are getting more offers before 3pm, they should all be released at the same time, so it's 2 for you for this round. I would definitely grab one.

Yeah, programs finalized their lists at 11:55. What you see is what you get, at least for this round.

I wonder what the average USMLE scores/number of attempts are for the people in SOAP

Not the way it works. Programs only send a limited number of offers per round, there is no limit on the number applicants receive.

You are probably ranked by the programs that interviewed you but didn't offer, you're just lower on the list than they have available spots.

The question is do you take the offer or hope you'll do better in the next round?

I'd take the offer. Good luck everybody.

Thanks for the clarification. I am definitely taking one of these, it happens to be a Prelim-Surgery spot.

I'll say that I've had more than one phone interview in which they essentially said "we want you to come." I don't think they were yanking my chain; it's just that there's a lot still beyond anybody's control at this point. Good luck to everyone else in later rounds.

I accepted an offer. Thank God it was from an amazing program I really wanted out of 5 that interviewed me.
Dont loose hope guys. Theres still more rounds.
FYI i was applying to FM

Thanks for the clarification. I am definitely taking one of these, it happens to be a Prelim-Surgery spot.

I'll say that I've had more than one phone interview in which they essentially said "we want you to come." I don't think they were yanking my chain; it's just that there's a lot still beyond anybody's control at this point. Good luck to everyone else in later rounds.

Congratulations. Do you already have an advanced position set-up and got the prelim or its just the prelim for now, and deal with advanced later?

I accepted an offer. Thank God it was from an amazing program I really wanted out of 5 that interviewed me.
Dont loose hope guys. Theres still more rounds.
FYI i was applying to FM

How many offers did you get, if you don't mind sharing?

Ack, lose, not loose. You can loose your bowels, you can't loose hope.

I got an offer and accepted. It's not one I really wanted, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. Good luck to everyone else.