Social anxiety, interview next week

foodcatsandscience

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated from high school and have a medical interview in under a week. At this moment I think there is almost a zero chance of succeeding. Although I haven't been officially diagnosed as having social anxiety disorder, I believe that I've had it, or at least some other social disorder, since I was young. I used to always become mute around other people and until this day, I speak extremely softly to the point where so many people repeatedly ask me what I said or nod at the wrong times. I also feel so self-conscious and I hardly smile or laugh (I mainly smile close-mouthed which doesn't look very happy and don't even laugh that much with my friends. I have a very bony face, huge teeth and braces too so when I open my mouth I think I look monstrous, so that makes me more self-conscious). In social situations, especially involving large groups of people or just certain people who I feel more nervous around, I feel so nauseous and this year especially I've avoided them using study as an excuse. I struggle with thinking on the spot in front of other people. When I did two mock interviews, I didn't improve at all; I could hardly form coherent sentences, struggled especially to think while maintaining eye contact, resorted to closed body language and struggled to smile.

I am almost certain that 1 week is not enough for me to fix all these problems, however I was wondering whether anyone has had experience with this and/or could provide advice for me to improve. I've volunteered at several annual events for around 4 years and currently work in retail but I don't feel like this has helped either. I can smile and say "hi" and "have a good day" but I don't really carry conversations with my customers because I don't know what to say.

I don't want to write too much but I honestly do have such a great passion for human anatomy and pathology, something that has fascinated me from when I was eight years old. Although I don't fare well in social situations, I really do want to help people, often going out of my way, but I just automatically mask myself and my mind doesn't work properly.

I am sure that you are questioning my suitability to gain entrance into medicine - I began questioning a lot more when I practised for interviews. However, I've decided that I'll still try my best and that I'll have to improve on these skills regardless of whether I succeed in interviews.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I used to suffer and still do suffer from shyness to an extent. Something that has really helped me is acknowledging my verbal tics and stutters and saying something along the lines of "One second, I'm just really nervous"

I recently graduated from high school and have a medical interview in under a week. At this moment I think there is almost a zero chance of succeeding. Although I haven't been officially diagnosed as having social anxiety disorder, I believe that I've had it, or at least some other social disorder, since I was young. I used to always become mute around other people and until this day, I speak extremely softly to the point where so many people repeatedly ask me what I said or nod at the wrong times. I also feel so self-conscious and I hardly smile or laugh (I mainly smile close-mouthed which doesn't look very happy and don't even laugh that much with my friends. I have a very bony face, huge teeth and braces too so when I open my mouth I think I look monstrous, so that makes me more self-conscious). In social situations, especially involving large groups of people or just certain people who I feel more nervous around, I feel so nauseous and this year especially I've avoided them using study as an excuse. I struggle with thinking on the spot in front of other people. When I did two mock interviews, I didn't improve at all; I could hardly form coherent sentences, struggled especially to think while maintaining eye contact, resorted to closed body language and struggled to smile.

I am almost certain that 1 week is not enough for me to fix all these problems, however I was wondering whether anyone has had experience with this and/or could provide advice for me to improve. I've volunteered at several annual events for around 4 years and currently work in retail but I don't feel like this has helped either. I can smile and say "hi" and "have a good day" but I don't really carry conversations with my customers because I don't know what to say.

I don't want to write too much but I honestly do have such a great passion for human anatomy and pathology, something that has fascinated me from when I was eight years old. Although I don't fare well in social situations, I really do want to help people, often going out of my way, but I just automatically mask myself and my mind doesn't work properly.

I am sure that you are questioning my suitability to gain entrance into medicine - I began questioning a lot more when I practised for interviews. However, I've decided that I'll still try my best and that I'll have to improve on these skills regardless of whether I succeed in interviews.

Thank you.

I think one of the biggest things to remember is that you received an interview when other people didn't. On paper you belong in that interview room. It's a weird way of thinking about it, but just by sitting down for an interview, you've already beaten out thousands and thousands of people. Anyone who's ever sat down for a medical school interview and said they wren't nervous is a liar. I'm the most social person I know and I as scared out of my mind. I guess what I focused on when I was scared as simple as it sounds, is the fact that you really have nothing to lose. You're already NOT in medical school. The worst they can say is no (I know that seems awful) but that's it. They're not going to shame you, they're not going to laugh at you. If anything they have the utmost respect for you because the school believes, "this may be the type of person we want at this school." You have to let your passion for medicine and your passion for people come out though. You must step outside of your comfort zone and decide that your passion is bigger than your fear. It sounds over simplified, but in reality it really is that simple. Think about the times you've talked to your friends or your family members about what medicine means to you. THAT is exactly how my interview went down. I sounds pathetic but there was actually a point in my interview where I said, "I know this sounds dumb and kind of pathetic, but I just really want to help people." I obviously have a much more detailed background on "why medicine," but at the end of the day, you must let your passion show. don't let a little anxiety keep you away from this. It's totally worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If this is not me, then I don't know who it is. I haven't been diagnosed but I have it.

What really helps me is mock interviews...I have a college interview myself coming up this week, and I asked one of my friends if she could pretend to interview me. I'd suggest taking it really seriously and recording yourself, either on video or just the audio, so you can keep track of how often you stutter, say "umm", etc. Also, I know this doesn't particularly help, but try not to stress so much! Just relax, and know that you were selected for a reason :)
If you can't find someone to practice with, I'd just recite some answers in a mirror. And don't worry about smiling; I think everyone thinks they look weird when they smile haha. Just don't *not* smile, because that could give off pretentious vibes. Everyone is nervous during interviews, and you're not alone with your anxiety. Just try to internalize that you're awesome and worthy and give 'em hell!!