Social Science MD/PhD Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on MD/PhD essays I've written and/or am trying to write. I've gotten a lot of feedback from friends/advisers (some of it conflicting), have written around 4 original essays, done revisions, and then ultimately not been satisfied with any of them.

If any recent successful social science applicant wouldn't mind giving general advice, or could contact me so I could show you specific attempts I would appreciate it tremendously.

Part of the problem is that it seems 3000 characters is not enough to give an idea of the work you want to do, justify why its valuable (something that I've been told I should not take for granted), explain the benefit from combining an MD and PhD, and explain my personal motivation for applying, and why I'd be an excellent candidate based on previous experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on MD/PhD essays I've written and/or am trying to write. I've gotten a lot of feedback from friends/advisers (some of it conflicting), have written around 4 original essays, done revisions, and then ultimately not been satisfied with any of them.

If any recent successful social science applicant wouldn't mind giving general advice, or could contact me so I could show you specific attempts I would appreciate it tremendously.

Part of the problem is that it seems 3000 characters is not enough to give an idea of the work you want to do, justify why its valuable (something that I've been told I should not take for granted), explain the benefit from combining an MD and PhD, and explain my personal motivation for applying, and why I'd be an excellent candidate based on previous experience.

I applied last year for history of medicine and would happy to read your essays. PM me for my email.

I applied to Health Policy/Health Economics in the same cycle as OncDoc and would also be happy to read for you. PM for e-mail.

Best,
Ari

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

thanks for starting this tread.

I have a question regarding the social science MD/PhD programs:

1.) Identifying social science MD/PhD programs: Is there a comprehensive listing of social science MD/PhD programs? One could certainly go through all of the MD/PhD programs, but some, like Weill Cornell, only offer basic/medical science PhD's, so that process does not seem like the best approach.

2.) Funding/ Steipend: Are these dual degrees funded like the MD/ (basic science research) PhD?

3.) Other Funding Sources: I know the NIH funds MD/PhD's in basic science, but I am unaware of their funding social science persuits. Are there other sorces of funding for such persuits? Or does the NIH fund this after all?

4.) Long Term: What is the common view of physicians with such degrees? (i.e. Is the degree of difficulty of getting into residency equal to or more than that incurred by MD/PhD (basice research))

Thanks!!

Thanks!

~Liz

Hello,

I've looked at some social science MD/PhD programs too, and it seems to me that you'll have to take on some of the financial burdens of your education by yourself.

Often, the descriptions of the funding situations are rather vague, but seem to indicate that you'll get tuition waivers, but no stipends, or something like that. It depends on the institution though.

What programs are you looking for? Econ? History? Policy? Different institutions have different soc-sci progs available, so you can't compile a list before defining better what it is your looking for.

I'd be glad to help if you're more specific.

-biop

Hi Biop,

Thanks for your fast response. My second major in undergrad was Spanish, but my research was in anthropology. I will most likely be applying for a medical anthropology PhD.

How did you get started with compiling your list?

Thanks again!

~Liz