Social science research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cerealrhapsody

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the benefits of doing social science research (from a getting-into-vet school point of view). I have the opportunity to assist with a project run by an MD and a psychology PhD investigating the effects of cultural competence on health disparities among under-served minorities in the community. More specifically, the goals of the research include the promotion of "health-smart behaviors" related to diet and exercise within the target population.

I certainly don't expect this to count for vet experience or anything, but I feel like it would be good experience nonetheless and I could possibly spin it to be a little more relevant (especially since I'm interested in public health). I currently have no research experience which is something I really want to change, and I've been having a really hard time finding opportunities.

But, how would an experience like this really stack up against "hard science" research? Do you think it's worthy of a time commitment, or could I spend my time more wisely?

All thoughts welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Personaly, I think this would feed right into the One Health initiatives, particularly with an emphasis on URM. It also seems like it could be a great 'huh, that's different' part of your app and support your interest in public health. I assume it isn't going to detract from obtaining reasonable variety/length of vet experience. I know there are some cultural studies going on in the behavior/shelter worlds on animal abandonment/care/treatment as well.

If you want to go into public health i say go for it! it will also be cool to have an MD write you a LOR, I doubt many other people had MD's write them letters.
If you arent sure you want to go into public health, if you decide you want to go into "hard science" research later then I would look around before you accept it.