Social tips on the wards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I remember reading this before my rotation and was little taken aback by how serious that whole document is highlighting the hierarchy of medicine on pretty much every page.
If someone is reading that document before 3rd year, just remember most people in medicine are not as described in that document (maybe in malignant surgery rotations, haven't had that yet). 60-70% attendings and residents are friendly, normal human beings that understand what being a medical student is like and want to teach. Be enthusiastic, prepared,polite and 3rd year should be fine (although evals might not always go your way). You don't need to buy anyone coffee like that person in the document says and very few people are that uptight like he describes.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying. But I'm not sure your point here and the documents advice are really that far apart. Sure, maybe the points about the hierarchy go too far, and doesn't apply to every hospital and rotation site. But the punctuality, the politeness, not trying to out-do others or sabotage co-workers, that stuff is gold. I like it because of the examples he gives too. As for the coffee thing, I lol'd at it. You don't need to suck up and buy people coffee. But just like in real m(non-medical) life, bringing someone you're working with a coffee randomly one morning is never a bad thing do to.

As always with any med school advice... always take it with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad.

I remember reading this before my rotation and was little taken aback by how serious that whole document is highlighting the hierarchy of medicine on pretty much every page.
If someone is reading that document before 3rd year, just remember most people in medicine are not as described in that document (maybe in malignant surgery rotations, haven't had that yet). 60-70% attendings and residents are friendly, normal human beings that understand what being a medical student is like and want to teach. Be enthusiastic, prepared,polite and 3rd year should be fine (although evals might not always go your way). You don't need to buy anyone coffee like that person in the document says and very few people are that uptight like he describes.

Depends on where you are for medical school. If you go somewhere in the West Coast like California, things may be more laid back (too laid back really). But if you go to the East Coast, the hierarchy is absolute and strong. Just because you didn't experience it doesn't mean that that hierarchy shouldn't be respected.

So many unnecessarily harsh comments to the OP when he just came for advice for something he’s genuinely trying to figure out and work on.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I can see what you're saying. But I'm not sure your point here and the documents advice are really that far apart. Sure, maybe the points about the hierarchy go too far, and doesn't apply to every hospital and rotation site. But the punctuality, the politeness, not trying to out-do others or sabotage co-workers, that stuff is gold. I like it because of the examples he gives too. As for the coffee thing, I lol'd at it. You don't need to suck up and buy people coffee. But just like in real m(non-medical) life, bringing someone you're working with a coffee randomly one morning is never a bad thing do to.

As always with any med school advice... always take it with a grain of salt.

I am not saying what he says are wrong but he says stuff like apologize before asking any question, like very rarely did I ever have to apolgize for asking a question. I am just saying reading that can make the clinicals sound intimidating. But my experience was not like that at all other than with a few residents.

Reactions: 1 users
Life summed up. Don't ask people if your jokes are funny unless you want to hear that there's an even funnier joke in that mirror over there.
Agreed.