Sociology BA to MD or DO, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ErvingGoffman

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Excuse the long starting post
So I'm a senior at a top fifty private university, in DC, and this spring I'll be graduating with a BA in Sociology. I've made a late game change and decided I want to go to med-school(my reasoning is sound don't worry). I'm a solid B+ student; my GPA is a 3.3 with a similar sGPA. I plan on doing a post-bac and building up clinic experience over the next year. My interest is in Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Neurology, or Psychiatry. So what I think I have going for me is I have a lot of connections through my mother who's a well established RadOnc for clinic experience, lots of experience with the medical system as patient due to Loeys-Deitz Syndrome(I've got all the arterial dilatations), I'm working on getting EKG certified(I already taught myself to read them from Dale Durbin's textbook), loads of community service/work and being well respected in my current field of non-profit/community work(in which I have three years of paid experience) which means lots of good recommendations. So I guess my primary question is, is this all nonsense or do I have a shot at a decent career as a physician? Secondly what type of clinic experience people think would be good, for example there's an AIDS clinic downtown I want to volunteer with, but I've been told that might not be the best for resume building? Any tips from people who have insight into this type of situation