software engineering to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsfsdaf

Reaction score
hi All,

I know this topic has been seen in here several times and i've read all, but couldn't help sharing my struggles to get some advice if possible.

I'm 34 and been in the bay area for 7 yrs, tech is never my true passion (sports is actually), last 2 yrs career/job setbacks due to some horrible politics/ppl in big corp really worn me off. Recently came back from baby bonding leave, as soon as i face the laptop with meaningless work made me feel like waste of life every day which led to some depression, especially struggling due to my INFJ personality (have my own strong views) as feel really unmotivated to do something in which i myself dt have any belief.

Reasons to switch:
  • Seen my parents running a private clinic as family docs in home country for yrs when growing up, i like he can run his own business and maintained very good patient relationship while helping ppl. I hope in the future i can run my own clinic as him.
  • My wife had a hard time finding a family doc when she had some diarrhea issues after delivery, watching her in pain/tears for months made me realize the scarce of doctors and other ppl who r experiencing the same thing, and i really wanna help.
  • Appreciate the US culture it's never too late to start anything if u wanna follow ur heart, dt wanna regret once reach 40
My biggest concerns:
Given such a long journey 8 yrs, i'm afraid i have to make sacrifice for keeping my baby accompany while she's growing up which will make me feel guilty (especially u never know where u'll land for med school+residency), appreciate someone with similar experience could shred some lights.

Ty much!

Members don't see this ad.

Seen my parents running a private clinic as family docs in home country for yrs when growing up, i like he can run his own business and maintained very good patient relationship while helping ppl. I hope in the future i can run my own clinic as him.
The way medicine is run is different in the US. One of the differences is that many work for a hospital as opposed to owning a private practice. It sounds more like you are looking for an escape from your current career too as opposed to having a strong interest in medicine. You would need to explore the field quite a bit to see how it is and the reality of medical school is there are many times when you are forced to do things a lot of people don't want to do at that particular time.

Reactions: 1 users
The way medicine is run is different in the US. One of the differences is that many work for a hospital as opposed to owning a private practice. It sounds more like you are looking for an escape from your current career too as opposed to having a strong interest in medicine. You would need to explore the field quite a bit to see how it is and the reality of medical school is there are many times when you are forced to do things a lot of people don't want to do at that particular time.
Yup.

OP, for starters, do some clinical volunteering.

Ty for reply.
Not really, feel im very intrigued to develop relationships with patients and engage in problem-solving to directly help ppl compared to creating some useless features for corp.