solublizing drugs

Started by TotalKayOs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TotalKayOs

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
over the summer i forgot a lot of stuff that i learned last year, and now i'm trying to review it but it's not clicking this time. so if anyone can hep me clear this up it would be great:

when something is made into a salt form it has to be disolved into it's opposit, right? an acidic drug needs to be dissloved in a weak base and vise vera? so morphine a basic drug needs to be dissolved in HCl. and phenytoin a weak acid needs to dissloved in a stong base like NaOH, right?

so now if i were to put morphine HCl in a medium that had a pH of 7, would the pH drop to below 7?

thirdly, a weak acid/strong base drug can notbe mixed with a weak base/ strong acid drug in a bag or line becasue they would precipate each other out? thanks for any help sorry for any spelling mistakes.
 
I'm no expert in pH and pKas, sorry but I always remember that acidic drugs need to be combined with the "ium" salts - sodium, potassium, calcium, and to a lesser extent lithium, aluminum, and zinc (ok, doesn't fit my pneumonic device there).

I also know a strong acid + weak base = acidic salt
strong acid + strong base = neutral salt
weak acid+ strong base = alkaline salt

So I guess you would want to make a polarized compound so that it would be more water soluble as opposed to something without a charge. Sorry I can't help you anymore than that 🙂