1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

solution to sea urchin problem

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Tigerlili, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Tigerlili

Tigerlili Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey guys,

I was wondering what the consensus on the answer for the sea urchin problem was. The question was "why does the sea urchin develop a membrane after fertilization?" is it to prevent polyspermy???

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. allstardentist

allstardentist All-Star
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
  4. issa

issa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

this question is kind of difficult. we didn't cover it in my zoology class. are the rest of the bio questions in the real dat easier than this or not?

5. allstardentist

allstardentist All-Star
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    should be. but i havent taken it so....

6. rockets32

rockets32 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I actually had a lab where we did this experiment. After fertilization, we actually saw the sperm come close and bounce away from the membrane :laugh:

7. DMD-2-B

DMD-2-B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well that's kind of a weird question. "Why does the sea urchin develop a membrane after fertilization?" Why is a weird question. It's like saying "Why does an egg undergo cleavage?" It's age-old mystery we'd all like to know - the drive behind life sort of thing.

However, if the question is "What is the function of the fertilization membrane formed by the sea urchin egg after it is penetrated by one sperm?" the answer would be "To provide a long-term block against polyspermy."