solve this question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atlanta213

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If acell has 46 chromosomes at the beginning of mitosis, then at anaphase there would be a total of
a. 23 chromatids
b. 23 chromosomes
c. 46 chromosomes
d. 46 chromatids
e. 92 chromosomes

If a cell has 46 chromosomes at the beginning of meiosis, then at anaphase I there would be a total of
a. 23 chromatids
b. 23 chromosomes
c. 46 chromosomes
d. 46 chromatids
e. 92 chromosome

Members don't see this ad.

GOOD JOB!

In the end of anaphase, there are 92 chromosome. Can I also call this as 92 chromatid?

Members don't see this ad :)
why is it 46 chromosomes for question 2? we started with 46 and end of meiosis we will have half of that right? so wouldn't be B

Since this is meiosis 1, we just separate homolgous chromosomes to opposite pole, not changing to chromatid.
That's why it is 46 chromosomes.

Since this is meiosis 1, we just separate homolgous chromosomes to opposite pole, not changing to chromatid.
That's why it is 46 chromosomes.

but you have 23 chromosomes on each side right?...

P.S..it says total..my bad

For the first one it's e. coz in anaphase, the cell hasn't divided completely in two daughter cells. Plus, it's mitosis, so the chromosomes are divided in half from the centromere of the parental chromosomes, which now will work as independent chromosomes. Therefore, the original 46 + new 46 (because of the division of parental chromosomes) = 92 chromosomes in anaphase. After anaphase, the parental cell will divide and make two daughter cells. So now, it will be 46 chromosomes in each daughter cell.

On the other hand, in the second question the answer will be c. Because it's meiosis, in metaphase I homologous chromosomes will pair up and in anaphase I those will separate and move to the poles. But the cell hasn't divided yet, So we still have 46 chromosomes in cell. But after the first division, there will be half number of chromosomes in each cell. The second division will work the same as mitosis. Thus at the end of meiosis, each cell will have half # of chromosomes.

The simple method of calculating chromosomes is to count centromere. Hope this helps.