solve this!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Husseinmr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ,this is my first post,i am immigrating to Canada next summer and i am preparing for the PEBC ,i started with calculations (it wasn't good idea after all) ,well after 3 days of study(3 hours per day) i can say i have the basics now ,but this question below i don't know what they want so if anyone can help not by giving the final answer but how he understand it it will be great,by the way my e mail is [email protected] if any one wants to share some PEBC information

question: for children,streptomycin is to be administered at a dose of 30 mg/kg of body weight daily in divided doses every 6-12 hr. the dry powder is dissolved by adding water for injection,USP in an amount to yield the desired concentration as indicated in the following table(for a 1 g vial)
approximate concentration(mg/ml) volume
200 4.2
250 3.2
400 1.8
reconstituting at the lowest possible concentration,what volume in ml would be withdrawn to obtain one day's dose for a 50-lb child?
a- 3.4 ml b- 22.73ml c- 2.50 ml d- 2.27 ml

Members don't see this ad.

The daily dose is 30mg/kg and the patient weight is 50lb.

50lb/2.2lb=22.7kg (2.2lb=1kg)

22.7kg*30mg/kg=682mg/day

Need to use the lowest concentration per the question, so 200mg/4.2ml

682mg/200mg per ml=3.41ml

I would say the answer is A

Hope this helps

I agree, there is a large amount of useless information. Perhaps they are trying to see if you can follow instructions and are able to pick the useful from the useless. In any event, best of luck to you.