some advice for future applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punjabiv

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I emailed the admissions officer at the Atlantic Bridge Program to get some advice on getting accepted and this is what he said:

The soundest advice I can give you, and it may seem very simplistic, is to follow the application instructions carefully.

Many extremely talented applicants are denied entry to the medical schools in Ireland every year because, for example, their essay has nothing to do with the required topic, their application is hand-written and illegible or they submit letters of recommendation which they have already seen (They are supposed to be confidential). As you may know, two passport-size photgraphs are required and it is a good idea to present a clear and professional image of yourself in those photographs. A picture of an applicant standing in a pub with a beer in his/her hand will not earn him/her any bonus points (You would be surprised how many of those types of photographs we receive.). Another common mistake is to provide far too much information. Eight-page resumes will not enhance an application. The best policy is always to give the admissions committees the information they require in a short, concise, clean and clear format and, once again, to follow the applicaiton instructions precisely.

Other than the above, I would encourage you to take an MCAT preparation course and to give yourself the best opportunity to obtain excellent grades in your university-level science courses by taking them at the same time as you take less taxing courses. In other words, I would discourage you from taking two physics courses and two chemistry courses in the same term. It is better to earn and A or a B in one science course per terms that to earn Cs and Ds as a result of taking four science courses in one term.

Sincerely,

Louis D. Keenan, Admissions Officer

I hope this helps those of you that will be applying in the future

Members don't see this ad.

punjabiv said:
Hey guys

I emailed the admissions officer at the Atlantic Bridge Program to get some advice on getting accepted and this is what he said:

The soundest advice I can give you, and it may seem very simplistic, is to follow the application instructions carefully.

Many extremely talented applicants are denied entry to the medical schools in Ireland every year because, for example, their essay has nothing to do with the required topic, their application is hand-written and illegible or they submit letters of recommendation which they have already seen (They are supposed to be confidential). As you may know, two passport-size photgraphs are required and it is a good idea to present a clear and professional image of yourself in those photographs. A picture of an applicant standing in a pub with a beer in his/her hand will not earn him/her any bonus points (You would be surprised how many of those types of photographs we receive.). Another common mistake is to provide far too much information. Eight-page resumes will not enhance an application. The best policy is always to give the admissions committees the information they require in a short, concise, clean and clear format and, once again, to follow the applicaiton instructions precisely.

Other than the above, I would encourage you to take an MCAT preparation course and to give yourself the best opportunity to obtain excellent grades in your university-level science courses by taking them at the same time as you take less taxing courses. In other words, I would discourage you from taking two physics courses and two chemistry courses in the same term. It is better to earn and A or a B in one science course per terms that to earn Cs and Ds as a result of taking four science courses in one term.

Sincerely,

Louis D. Keenan, Admissions Officer

I hope this helps those of you that will be applying in the future

Er... I would have thought that any serious candidate would realize that most of the stuff there is self-evident. ;) Honestly, is there anyone out there that didn't word process their application?

I filled out my application form by hand, albeit in a very meticulous way. I've recieved an offer to UCC and got waitlisted to RCSI.

Maybe they liked my handwriting...

Members don't see this ad :)
dr strangelove said:
Er... I would have thought that any serious candidate would realize that most of the stuff there is self-evident. ;) Honestly, is there anyone out there that didn't word process their application?
Um, I'm at UCC and I filled mine out by hand - I'm computer challenged and couldn;t do it any other way. My person letter and resume were word processed, but given that each year at UCC we have to sign a declaration that states, among other things, that we have legible hand writing, I don't see hand writing on the application form at counting against you. Then again, one of my hobbies is calligraphy, and they did let me in because I "looked interesting" :laugh: so who knows. Just my 2 cent worth,
Med2UCC

med2UCC said:
Um, I'm at UCC and I filled mine out by hand - I'm computer challenged and couldn;t do it any other way. My person letter and resume were word processed, but given that each year at UCC we have to sign a declaration that states, among other things, that we have legible hand writing, I don't see hand writing on the application form at counting against you. Then again, one of my hobbies is calligraphy, and they did let me in because I "looked interesting" :laugh: so who knows. Just my 2 cent worth,
Med2UCC

The legible hand writing thing... I didn't know about that! Something that could be implemented in other medical schools certainly! :D I don't know if they'd turn you down though just for having poor handwriting.

I can tell you that nearly all the people in my course studying medicine (1-2 exceptions that prove the rule) processed their personal statements. Discrepancies between the UK and Ireland I guess; obviously an emphasis is placed more on handwriting as an entry requirement on the Aul' Sod. ;)

dr strangelove said:
The legible hand writing thing... I didn't know about that! Something that could be implemented in other medical schools certainly! :D I don't know if they'd turn you down though just for having poor handwriting.

I can tell you that nearly all the people in my course studying medicine (1-2 exceptions that prove the rule) processed their personal statements. Discrepancies between the UK and Ireland I guess; obviously an emphasis is placed more on handwriting as an entry requirement on the Aul' Sod. ;)

:laugh: Each year at UCC we have to sign a 6-7 page declaration/ code of conduct that covers things like dressing acceptably on the wards, respecting patient confidentiality, maintaining a neat and professional personal appearance (short nails, tidy hair, that sort of thing), that we can hear and see reasonably well and ,among an extensive list of other things, that we can write legibly. Mind you, when I wrote the MCAT, the instructions for the writing section stated that "no samples that are not illegible will be corrected", read that way with tha straight face both times by the invigilator, so maybe handwriting is a bigger issue here than there ;) Cheers,
M

A picture of an applicant standing in a pub with a beer in his/her hand will not earn him/her any bonus points (You would be surprised how many of those types of photographs we receive.).

One Word. Lawl.