Some advice on an interview question please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chargers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a really good answer for the question "Why do you want to be a doctor?" during the interview? It seems that the admission committee don't accept the simple answers like "I want to dedicate myself in helping people", or "Being a doctor has been my long life dream". I mean that's it. Those are the 2 ultimate reasons for almost anyone who loves medicine, right? So why don't they just accept those simple answers for that simple question? Why do they have to seek for some ingenuous answers from premeds?

What did you say when they asked that question in your interviews, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a really good answer for the question "Why do you want to be a doctor?" during the interview? It seems that the admission committee don't accept the simple answers like "I want to dedicate myself in helping people", or "Being a doctor has been my long life dream". I mean that's it. Those are the 2 ultimate reasons for almost anyone who loves medicine, right? So why don't they just accept those simple answers for that simple question? Why do they have to seek for some ingenuous answers from premeds?

What did you say when they asked that question in your interviews, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

This is a pre-allo topic and should be posted there. This board is for topics of interest to folks who are already done with the admissions process. Good luck :)

This is a pre-allo topic and should be posted there. This board is for topics of interest to folks who are already done with the admissions process. Good luck :)
That's why I ask them. They have more experience in these things than premed people. Let's see what they have to say. Or just PM me please.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's why I ask them. They have more experience in these things than premed people. Let's see what they have to say.

No, many of the people in Allo applied years ago and blocked it out by now. You're better off in pre-allo with people who are just about done with last year's cycle. But don't repost - one of the mods will move it soon enough.

They don't take simple answers because its not a simple question - what they really want to know is have you truly thought through your career options to the point that you understand what its going to take and you're sure its what you want to do. They want to make sure you know what you're in for and you've thought about it A LOT.

So go through your own mental process and figure out what brought you to want to be a doctor and what confirmed that decision. That should be your answer, and it should be a hell of a lot more complicated than "I want to help people."

While I agree with L2D that this is a preallo question, bite anyways. I'm not going to give you my answer because I don't think it will help you in anyway, instead I'm going to tell you whats wrong with your question and hopefully some ways that you can think about it to come up with your own answers.

Ok, so you want to help people, well, why not nursing/firefighting/PA/NP/policeman/civil rights lawyer/politician . . . all these people help people, this isn't something that being a physician has a monopoly on. The "I want to help people" shows that you haven't really thought the decision through, and adcomms want people who are 100% sure that this is what they want (well at least as sure as you can be before you start doing it).

And so you've always dreamed of it . . . for the longest time I dreamed of being a ballerina, seriously, this was my lifes aspiration for about 14 years. I thought it was beautiful artform and was joyous when dancing, but when it came down to it and I learned more about the proffession I realized it just wasn't the best fit for me. I learned about a dark side of the world of ballet that was really against everything I believe in. I learned my career would be over by my 30s. I realized that I had a mind was capable of lot of other careers that might be more fulfilling for me.

The point is that just because you always dreamed it doesn't mean its really the best fit for you. You have to have more specific things that attract you to it to prove to an adcom that you've learned about the proffession and thought this thru a bit. There are many people who think they want to be a doctor, and then when they see the proffession for what it is, they realize they don't. The adcom asks this question to make sure they aren't admitting people who will later regret their decision.

No, many of the people in Allo applied years ago and blocked it out by now. You're better off in pre-allo with people who are just about done with last year's cycle. But don't repost - one of the mods will move it soon enough.

They don't take simple answers because its not a simple question - what they really want to know is have you truly thought through your career options to the point that you understand what its going to take and you're sure its what you want to do. They want to make sure you know what you're in for and you've thought about it A LOT.

They don't get that from my shadowing experience, volunteering experience, researching and dedicating 4+years of my undergrad life taking premed courses?

So go through your own mental process and figure out what brought you to want to be a doctor and what confirmed that decision. That should be your answer, and it should be a hell of a lot more complicated than "I want to help people."

But isn't that the ultimate reason for any doctors to be doctors? You're telling me that I should think about how I come to that ultimate reason? What paths did I take to get to that reasoning?

But isn't that the ultimate reason for any doctors to be doctors? You're telling me that I should think about how I come to that ultimate reason? What paths did I take to get to that reasoning?

No, as psipina said its definitely not. There are a million other professions that help people. Why MD? Why not any other number of careers? And for that matter - even if you get down to healthcare (using logic that you can explain to an interviewer), why not NP? PA?

You need to be able to explain to an interviewer what brought you to medicine. Helping people isn't the ultimate reason at all, you need to go beyond that. And if thats all you can come up with you may want to reconsider before you apply.

EDIT: I just noticed the part you added to my quote. No they don't get that from the ECs. They see that you have had experience in it. But every pre-med does that, and yet every year about 50% of those pre-meds are not given a spot in medical school and its not always because of their numbers. Just because you did the ECs that were expected of you in undergrad doesn't mean you understand why you want to be a doctor. Just explain why you want to be a doctor - why do you want to help people? Why do you want to help people in healthcare specifically? Why an MD specifically?

The question isn't "Why, in general, do people want to become doctors", it's why do *you* want to become a doctor.

If all you can think of is "wanting to help people", think about what this means specifically to you, what experiences reinforced this for you. You say it's been a life-long dream, well, the obvious question is *why* has it been a life-long dream? You have to have experienced some re-evaluation and introspection at some point, so talk about that--an adcom is certainly not going to be too impressed with someone who decided to become a doctor when they were 5 and has never questioned that decision since. Think about what these questions mean to you, and how medicine as a career fits in terms of your life experiences and philosophy.

As an adcom once pointed out during an info session, "I've never had anyone tell me in an interview that they don't want to help people." (Read: just wanting to help people isn't gonna cut it.)

the point of your shadowing/volunteering was to help you formulate your answer to this precise question, not to put it down on your application. The fact that you've done all this and still can't answer this question is rather bizzarre.

Why not be a nurse practitioner? Answer that.

While I agree with L2D that this is a preallo question, bite anyways. I'm not going to give you my answer because I don't think it will help you in anyway, instead I'm going to tell you whats wrong with your question and hopefully some ways that you can think about it to come up with your own answers.

Ok, so you want to help people, well, why not nursing/firefighting/PA/NP/policeman/civil rights lawyer/politician . . . all these people help people, this isn't something that being a physician has a monopoly on. The "I want to help people" shows that you haven't really thought the decision through, and adcomms want people who are 100% sure that this is what they want (well at least as sure as you can be before you start doing it).

Well, I want to help people physically and medically. A nurse sure does just that, but s/he doesn't have total control of what s/he can do, a doctor does. Does that make me sound like a control/power obsessor? is that bad?

And so you've always dreamed of it . . . for the longest time I dreamed of being a ballerina, seriously, this was my lifes aspiration for about 14 years. I thought it was beautiful artform and was joyous when dancing, but when it came down to it and I learned more about the proffession I realized it just wasn't the best fit for me. I learned about a dark side of the world of ballet that was really against everything I believe in. I learned my career would be over by my 30s. I realized that I had a mind was capable of lot of other careers that might be more fulfilling for me.

Did you incorporate this part in your answer? This is all about you and your life, and nothing about helping others. Is this acceptable too? I am asking because I don't want the committee to misunderstand my ultimate reason for pursuing medicine.

The point is that just because you always dreamed it doesn't mean its really the best fit for you. You have to have more specific things that attract you to it to prove to an adcom that you've learned about the proffession and thought this thru a bit. There are many people who think they want to be a doctor, and then when they see the proffession for what it is, they realize they don't. The adcom asks this question to make sure they aren't admitting people who will later regret their decision.
Why are we being punished for something other people previously did?:oops:

Because they don't want you to do it too.

Yes saying you want the autonomy of an MD is fine - but you do need to say it. Also, saying you decided against x, y or z because of a, b or c is fine too. They want to understand why YOU want to be a doctor - you're starting to get it.

the point of your shadowing/volunteering was to help you formulate your answer to this precise question, not to put it down on your application. The fact that you've done all this and still can't answer this question is rather bizzarre.

Why not be a nurse practitioner? Answer that.
Because it is not a challenging enough career for me. Again, that phrase scares me a bit because I don't want to sound cocky.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ok, no clue why you think you are being punished. Why would an adcomm admit someone to medschool who can't articulate why they want to be a physician when plenty of other well qualified people can? They aren't punishing you, they are just picking the best applicants they get.

Well, I want to help people physically and medically. A nurse sure does just that, but s/he doesn't have total control of what s/he can do, a doctor does. Does that make me sound like a control/power obsessor? is that bad?

Ok, so you like the idea of being in charge . . .here's a beginning, . . . why?

And no, my reason for deciding to become a physician had nothing to do with realizing that I didn't want to be a ballerina when I was 16, lol.

This is a Pre-Allo issue and this thread is moved to the Pre-Allo forum. Allopathic students read that forum and can respond there.

Because they don't want you to do it too.

Yes saying you want the autonomy of an MD is fine - but you do need to say it. Also, saying you decided against x, y or z because of a, b or c is fine too. They want to understand why YOU want to be a doctor - you're starting to get it.

So it's not too cocky or self-centered to answer that question revolving around me, my career, and my future? That makes it even easier though. Everyone thinks about themselves and their future. Few people think about others.

Because it is not a challenging enough career for me. Again, that phrase scares me a bit because I don't want to sound cocky.

Ok so you like being challenged and you like having alot of responsibility and autonomy, so why? Why do you think this would make you unhappy if your future job lacked this?? Why do you think this might make you happy. Build on this.

So it's not too cocky or self-centered to answer that question revolving around me, my career, and my future? That makes it even easier though. Everyone thinks about themselves and their future. Few people think about others.

Of course its about you. The question was why do "YOU" want to be a doctor. Or why did YOU decide to go into medicine.

They didn't ask about everyone else. ANSWER WHY YOU WANT TO BE A DOCTOR.

Well, the question is about you, its why do YOU want to be a doctor. Your desire to help people can play into your answer but can't be the sole answer.

Ok, no clue why you think you are being punished. Why would an adcomm admit someone to medschool who can't articulate why they want to be a physician when plenty of other well qualified people can? They aren't punishing you, they are just picking the best applicants they get.

Ok, so you like the idea of being in charge . . .here's a beginning, . . . why?

And no, my reason for deciding to become a physician had nothing to do with realizing that I didn't want to be a ballerina when I was 16, lol.

But those people who realize later on in their lives that they don't want to be a doctor must miscalculated a step in their thought process. I don't. I get your point though.

About being in charge, doesn't anyone like to be in charge? to have control of things? Isn't that an innate attribute of human?

This is a common theme in medicine...better get used to it.
It's why you have to jump through hoops to get into med school
It's why I'll have to take call as a med student
It's why I'll work 80+ hours/week for next to nothing as an intern

and finally,
It's why you're asked that question in every interview...

Some pre-med, a very long time ago had the same question asked of them in an interview and gave a unique answer that actually interested an interviewer...since then many have tried and few have succeeded. The best answer is one that you come up with on your own that is supported with your own unique experiences and mental processes.

But those people who realize later on in their lives that they don't want to be a doctor must miscalculated a step in their thought process. I don't. I get your point though.

About being in charge, doesn't anyone like to be in charge? to have control of things? Isn't that an innate attribute of human?

Yes but adcomms can't read your mind so you have to proove this to them.

Nope, I have a dear friend who is super smart (i.e. could get in if he wanted to) and going for nursing instead precisely because too much responsibility is uncomfortable for him. He likes the idea of a good paying job that he can leave behind when he goes home and where someone else is making the life or death decisions.

Thanks for all the advices guys. I am going home, but feel free to reply or ask more questions. They really help. See ya:)

Just say that you want to get some Chargers' cheerleaders and that your being a doctor would help with that considerably :smuggrin:

Okay, enough with my joke.

I am going to assume that you're from a Diego area. You are, right? I suggest you go to Tijuana, Mexico and work at a free local clinic or something. Then, write how you want to become a doctor to help Mexicans in your area. That will increase your chances SIGNIFICANTLY, almost like 5 fold :thumbup:

:luck: with your PS. You will need it

Yes but adcomms can't read your mind so you have to proove this to them.

Nope, I have a dear friend who is super smart (i.e. could get in if he wanted to) and going for nursing instead precisely because too much responsibility is uncomfortable for him. He likes the idea of a good paying job that he can leave behind when he goes home and where someone else is making the life or death decisions.
is your friend name Focker by any chance? lol just kidding, I can't help it. :D

Med school adcoms don't know that you don't have a miscalculation - which is why they want you to explain your thought process. Also, I guarantee you those people who realized they didn't want to be doctors didn't realize they had miscalculated at the time. Neither would you if you had miscalculated. But I think something more common is just not having thought it through at all.

And no, not everyone worries about being in charge, I didn't choose MD for the autonomy - in pure terms of control I could have been just as happy as a PA or NP. Other factors made me pick MD. But everyone is different.

The answer needs to revolve around you, your career, and your future. YOU are going to medical school, and YOU are doing it for YOU and no one else...they want to know why.

Just FYI, "being a doctor is my life-long dream" is not a reason for becoming a doctor. It's like saying I want to be a doctor because I've always wanted to be a doctor. You need to say why it is your dream.

The truth is that a lot of the answers are going to be similar. You distinguish yourself by demonstrating your maturity, understanding of medicine, understanding of yourself, honesty and enthusiasm.

Just say that you want to get some Chargers' cheerleaders and that your being a doctor would help with that considerably :smuggrin:

Okay, enough with my joke.

I am going to assume that you're from a Diego area. You are, right? I suggest you go to Tijuana, Mexico and work at a free local clinic or something. Then, write how you want to become a doctor to help Mexicans in your area. That will increase your chances SIGNIFICANTLY, almost like 5 fold :thumbup:
lol yeah I am a San Diegan. That's very generic. I see people paying/or not $$$ to go abroad and volunteer in local clinic just to make them stand out. I think it's a false cause. I rather help people who are in need, here in the US first.

Ok I'm out for real now. Later

Freshman year a pre-med advisor asked me that very question: "Why do you want to go to medical school?" and all I could say was "I don't know, I just want to." Five years later, after a lot of personal maturation, I had an exact answer to that question. That's how I knew I was ready to apply and to go to med school. If you can't answer that question, you're not ready. What are you going to write your personal statement about or say during interviews, if you have no personal answer?

Ok, I'm going to add my two cents here...

I spent 5 years in a completely different profession. I did it because I wanted to make an impact in other people's lives. I taught high school. Did it burn me out? No. Did the kids get to me? No. Did I get to help people? Yes. Did I have great perks? Yes. Did I feel underpaid? No. So why did I want to leave?

Wanting to help people wasn't enough motivation to keep me interested. I could only go through the same unchanging lesson plans so long before I got bored...

There are going to be days where you hate your job - whatever it is. If you only have one motivational source for that job (be it money, altruism, perks, whatever) it probably won't be enough to sustain you on the worst days. And you'll find that those worst days will become the norm. (Read: soul-sucking career).

So wanting to help people is not enough. It's noble, but it's too vague, too frail, too idealistic for real life. There are going to be days where you could care less about wanting to help people. You'll probably give yourself a major guilt trip over it - but that won't make it any better. You need more than that to keep you going.

Respectfully,
chanjurban

After being accepted (yay) I'll say what I said whenever I was asked this question- I'm not at all implying that this is the best answer. Obviously the answers will differ with the individual and all are great if they are honest and refreshing to the interviewer. I discuss not why I'm suited for medicine, but why medicine suits me. I draw parallels between what I have accomplished/learned, and how these skills are directly used in medicine. I try to define myself outside of medicine, and then comment on how medicine and myself have similar goals/requirements.
My goal is to convey that I DIDN'T look in the MSAR/SDN at what is required for medicine and then do it. Rather, I did what I wanted to do, what I felt was natural, and it happened to reflect the ideals of medicine, which made the decision almost natural.
This is pretty much a euphemism for the answer you alluded to, but I think its a little refreshing to hear it put a different way.

After being accepted (yay) I'll say what I said whenever I was asked this question- I'm not at all implying that this is the best answer. Obviously the answers will differ with the individual and all are great if they are honest and refreshing to the interviewer. I discuss not why I'm suited for medicine, but why medicine suits me. I draw parallels between what I have accomplished/learned, and how these skills are directly used in medicine. I try to define myself outside of medicine, and then comment on how medicine and myself have similar goals/requirements.
My goal is to convey that I DIDN'T look in the MSAR/SDN at what is required for medicine and then do it. Rather, I did what I wanted to do, what I felt was natural, and it happened to reflect the ideals of medicine, which made the decision almost natural.
This is pretty much a euphemism for the answer you alluded to, but I think its a little refreshing to hear it put a different way.

wow that's a very interesting way to approach this question. Congrat on your acceptance, and thanks for the advice. :thumbup: