Some advice on the writing section

Started by Opal1976
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Opal1976

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there. I have been visiting this forum for quite some time, but I just recently joined. I plan to take the PCAT sometime next year. I was wondering about the essay part of the test.

Here's some background info about me. I graduated with bachelor's degree from the Philippines in 1998. When I came back here to the US after graduation, I decided to get another undergraduate degree. Of course, one of the requirements for me to obtain the undergraduate degree was that I needed to take some English classes. The English classes I took in the Philippines were not accepted at the university I was attending at the time. I understood this, of course, even though we read and wrote papers about books written by American and British authors when I was in the Philippines. To save some time and money, I decided to take the CLEP (English) and passed.

I grew up here in the US so I can speak English pretty well (Better than my native language, in fact. 😳 ). However, since I never took an English class in a US college, I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to take some English courses or maybe a writing course? Or perhaps I should just read newspapers or magazines and just practice writing? Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.

Thanks, and I apologize for quite a lengthy post.
 
You do not have to do anything! Your English on this post is as good as mine and I am a native English speaker.

The writing section is kind of weird anyway.

I am a PhD student in North Carolina in a mathematics area but want to go to pharm industry or FDA after graduation.

I took the GRE and scored a perfect 6 on the analytic writing section back in 2003. However in 2001, my community college had an exit exam, and one of the sections was an essay. I like classical music and I wrote a very well-written, but pretty funny essay about romance related to classical music. I think the topic was: What was a great experience you had and why? I remember that while writing the essay, I had talked about a previous relationship that I had and how a certain piece of classical music by Johannes Brahms inspired it!

This was too esoteric for the committee to understand and out of twelve possible points, I only scored 9! (although 6 was passing!) And I had aced the reading, writing, and math sections (although quite easy since it was an exam to earn an associate of arts degree).

So I think you are good to go, but do not write something offbeat like I did even if it answers the question! You might get marks taken off!

I have many int'l students in my PhD program (about 50%), and you have very good English just from your posting!

Just take the test and do not write something too offbeat!

Write a well organized template. The first paragraph should be an introduction and the last sentence of this paragraph is your thesis, or main idea. This is then followed by 3 paragraphs of supporting statements with smooth transition words. Finally, your last paragraph should be a strong conclusion that gives a summary and sums up your thought.

Use the template approach and give a lot of relevant, supporting examples, and you will be fine!

Good luck in applying to pharmacy school! I guess your first choice is MUSC / USC, since I see that your location is in South Carolina!
 
Thank you for the kind words and great suggestions, cdpiano27. I will definitely take the template approach to heart. I'm just afraid that I would be given a topic that I know little or nothing about. 😳 I guess I'll just have to read more on current events.

Yes, I plan to go USC-Columbia or MUSC. Hopefully, I'll get accepted into USC since I live an hour away from Columbia, although getting into MUSC in Charleston wouldn't be so bad since they have a dual PharmD/MBA program.

Good luck in your studies! I wish you well in your future plans. 🙂