Some basic questions about dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoopidboy54

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Its my first post here and I was wondering if you could provide me with some answers that could help me. Note: I'm a freshman at undergrad so I am looking to get some tips to plan my undergrad out.

First, I was wondering where you go to undergrad would matter and how much it factors into the admissions process.

Second, I am wondering if it matters whether or not I do extra curriculars during the school year. I am active during the summer (with research and a job at a practice) but I dont know if it will hurt in any way if I dont take extra curriculars during the school year because I want to concentrate on my academics. I do go to volunteer every saturdays if that helps. I was also considering joining pre-dental club and was wondering what benefits this club brings to most universities.

Third, I want to know if dental schools look at overall or science gpa more.

Fourth, I was wondering when I should think about taking the DAT

That is all, for now. I would like to thank everyone that answers my questions, or attempts to!

Members don't see this ad.

These questions have been answered many times. search for them in the search box.

1. Maybe (troll fest). If you go to decent college A and are thinking of transferring to slightly better college B, then don't bother. If you're going to a local, no-name, barely any admissions requirements liberal arts school down the block, and you're thinking of transferring to a tier 1 school, then it might help.
2. Extracurriculars never hurt. The ammount you do is a personal thing. There's no magic answer, just do what you can. Joining the pre-dental club may not directly help you, and may be exceedingly stupid at your university, but it shows schools that you have an interest and are maintaining that interest in dentistry. I was told by a dean that joining such clubs can help your application.
3. Why not just aim to do well in everything? Will this answer really help you? :p
4. Lots of people do it in the winter of their Junior year.

4. Take the DAT after you've completed CHEM 1,2; BIO 1,2; ORGO 1,2