Some chemistry questions for ya

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predentknight

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1: What is the correct electron configuration for Zn2+? and why?

2: which of the following has an octet on the central atom?

ICl4 +
SeF4
PBr4 +
IF3
BrF4 -

just a few I came across today that gave me some trouble, I will post answers after a few responses

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it would end with 4s0 3d10 to make it more stable, diamagnetic.
Don't feel like doing the second :)

[Ar] 4s0,3d10 for the first one
I cant explain why exactly ( maybe someone can else can explain) I just remember that is a transition metal and the s orbital has less energy so they will be remove before the d orbital

For the second question
Is it SeF4, not sure but figured I would try

ICL4+ has 9
SeF4 has 8
PBr4+ has 9
IF3 has 6
BrF4- has 7

Last edited:

ICl4 +
SeF4
PBr4 +
IF3
BrF4 -

Members don't see this ad :)
1: What is the correct electron configuration for Zn2+? and why?

ICl4 +
SeF4
PBr4 +
IF3
BrF4 -

just a few I came across today that gave me some trouble, I will post answers after a few responses

1) For the first one Zn+2 means it lost 2 electrons...if you look at the periodic table if it lost 2 electrons its at Ni...but usually transition metals will like to fulfill a stable orbital of either full (10) or half full (5)...so because its at nickel the electrons from the 4s subshell will give up their electrons to the 3d subshell in order to gain stability...so it should be [Ar]4s03d10

2) Now for this one just count up the valence electrons and draw the figure...PBr4 + has 33 valence minus the one from the + charge so its 32...4 Bromines around the Phosphorous fullfills the octet for P because it also fullfills the number of valence electrons you need, 32

So the answer should be actually PBr4 +

Yeah I was completely off on the second one :( thanks for clarifying osimsDDS