Some Clear-up about Osteopathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heyonah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of those that intend to apply to allopathic school seem to have a decent understanding of osteopathic philosophy; Some individuals interpret lower MCAT and GPA admission standard as an implication of a lesser quality physician.

Why do DO schools generally have lower standards than MD schools on these criteria? The answer lies in the heart of osteopathic medicine.

Many student excell at such subjects as physical and organic sciences, yet have no clue when it comes to human to human interaction. Further, many cases of medicine require individuals to think outside of the box, as it were, or draw upon personal experiences.

Osteopathy schools recognize that while basic acedemic skill are important, they alone will not advance medicine. The medical field needs individuals that have a capable working ability with scientific princibles, but also can develope and persue novel concepts in therapies.

We are starting to see the same trend in allopathic school. Only a couple years ago, medical schools began to favor students with some sort of an artistic background. Also, the written portion of the MCAT is relatively new, as medical schools began to recognise the importance of communicative skills.

In closing, DO schools not placing as much emphasis on MCAT and GPA score does NOT mean that it is easier to get in. It merely implies that that focus is placed elsewhere. Given a school that places most of its weight on the interview process, I know several 3.8 GPA people who would fail miserably.

Members don't see this ad.

Closing in 10....9.....8...

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you post this link?

picard.jpg

Frist of all, are you a guy or girl?

You only have 4 or 5 posts, and they are all about DO vs. MD. This is definitely not good :idea:

Frist of all, are you a guy or girl?

You only have 4 or 5 posts, and they are all about DO vs. MD. This is definitely not good :idea:
'huh? I only have this one post. I posted for the first time ever here about ten minutes ago. The only subsequent posts are in responce to my first one.

well, you never answered my first question... read this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=410642

I am a male. I read the thread. Sorry, being that I have only been a member for less than an hour, it is very hard for me to have read and memorized everything that was every talked about in every thread.

However, it seems that I have done a really good job of offending people, although I am not sure entirely how. I will unsubscribe and not actively participate from here on out.

Relax buddy. If you need someone to help you out from now, just let me know!

If you have a good MCAT/GPA, you don't need to worry about MD vs DO. Try to get good grades and MCAT scores first, then worry about MD or DO. Good Luck

If you have a good MCAT/GPA, you don't need to worry about MD vs DO. Try to get good grades and MCAT scores first, then worry about MD or DO. Good Luck

I'm sorry, I think you may have misunderstood the post. It wasn't about whether or not I am deciding between DO or MD.

It was in responce to some comments that I have read where some individuals were interpreting a lower GPA or MCAT as a lesser quality education.

I didnt mention anything about my own GPA or MCAT. They are actually just fine.

I'm sorry, I think you may have misunderstood the post. It wasn't about whether or not I am deciding between DO or MD.

It was in responce to some comments that I have read where some individuals were interpreting a lower GPA or MCAT as a lesser quality education.

I didnt mention anything about my own GPA or MCAT. They are actually just fine.

so which school of osteopathic medicine are you a representative of? Or are you a representative for the entire profession of Osteopathic medicine, as a whole?

If you know a guy who drives a dump truck, do you think you could have him come to PRE-ALLO to start a thread about common misconceptions about people who drive dump trucks?

Thanks.

Can't we all play nice?

Who cares about DO, MD, whatever. We're here to study medicine, to help our patients.

:lol:

Osteopathy schools recognize that while basic acedemic skill are important, they alone will not advance medicine.

And, dude, osteopathy is not the preferred nomenclature - it's osteopathic medicine.

Most of those that intend to apply to allopathic school seem to have a decent understanding of osteopathic philosophy; Some individuals interpret lower MCAT and GPA admission standard as an implication of a lesser quality physician.

Why do DO schools generally have lower standards than MD schools on these criteria? The answer lies in the heart of osteopathic medicine.

Many student excell at such subjects as physical and organic sciences, yet have no clue when it comes to human to human interaction. Further, many cases of medicine require individuals to think outside of the box, as it were, or draw upon personal experiences.

Osteopathy schools recognize that while basic acedemic skill are important, they alone will not advance medicine. The medical field needs individuals that have a capable working ability with scientific princibles, but also can develope and persue novel concepts in therapies.

We are starting to see the same trend in allopathic school. Only a couple years ago, medical schools began to favor students with some sort of an artistic background. Also, the written portion of the MCAT is relatively new, as medical schools began to recognise the importance of communicative skills.

In closing, DO schools not placing as much emphasis on MCAT and GPA score does NOT mean that it is easier to get in. It merely implies that that focus is placed elsewhere. Given a school that places most of its weight on the interview process, I know several 3.8 GPA people who would fail miserably.

ur a fuc-kin idiot dude

DO schools accept those with lower GPA's and MCAT scores because it's reflective of the 'DO applicant' pool. ppl with $hitty #'s apply to DO schools.

they're still lookin for the best (high GPA's/MCAT) but the DO applicant pool--in terms of #'s--is way below that of the allopathic applicant pool

that's why DO schools have lower GPA's/MCAT scores; it's not because they look past the #'s

everyone here knows ur BS'n on this topic

...and, you know ur BS'n too which is kind of the sad part

ha, you're offering to help out with only 18 posts...you have a lot of experience around here. :rolleyes:

To the OP: you are fine to ask, and keep participating. The problem is there is so much controversy of DO vs MD that it often turns into a flame war even though you didn't intend it to cause offense. Plenty of people get attacked around here for no reason, so don't take it to heart. This board is great to learn about the process and even while you're in med school, so don't let the attackers get to you; they are not going away. Good luck.