Some CV questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrVanNostran

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am trying to update my CV to send out to potential mentors at my residency program. I had a few questions...

1. I recently submitted an abstract which was accepted as an oral and poster. It was also published in a journal along with all the accepted the posters for the conference. Can I add this to my publications?

2. As a med student, I did an away at MDACC in the Radiation Oncology department. At the end of our rotation, we do a formal presentation on a topic of our choice. Does something like this qualify as an oral presentation? Or is that reserved for posters, research projects, etc?

Thanks!
 
I am trying to update my CV to send out to potential mentors at my residency program. I had a few questions...

1. I recently submitted an abstract which was accepted as an oral and poster. It was also published in a journal along with all the accepted the posters for the conference. Can I add this to my publications?
Yes, absolutely.

2. As a med student, I did an away at MDACC in the Radiation Oncology department. At the end of our rotation, we do a formal presentation on a topic of our choice. Does something like this qualify as an oral presentation? Or is that reserved for posters, research projects, etc?

Thanks!

It it was a Grand Rounds type of presentation, then yes, that's a legit oral presentation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. I recently submitted an abstract which was accepted as an oral and poster. It was also published in a journal along with all the accepted the posters for the conference. Can I add this to my publications?

Its not a peer-reviewed publication. It's an abstract. You need to have separate sections in your CV for:

  • Abstracts
  • Presentations (Oral / Posters)
  • Peer-Reviewed Publications
  • Other Publications

It would be misrepresentation to list it as a publication without clearly denoting it as an abstract.
 
So instead of starting a new thread, thought I would just ask this since it is relevant to the CV. I usually see people just post that they passed Step 1, 2, 3 on first try, not their scores. So how important is a STEP 2 score for fellowships? Is it something that directors gloss over, or is it something that can screen you in/out like the STEP 1 score for residency interviews?

I assume whatever answers I get for Step 2 will also be relevant for Step 3?
 
So instead of starting a new thread, thought I would just ask this since it is relevant to the CV. I usually see people just post that they passed Step 1, 2, 3 on first try, not their scores. So how important is a STEP 2 score for fellowships? Is it something that directors gloss over, or is it something that can screen you in/out like the STEP 1 score for residency interviews?

I assume whatever answers I get for Step 2 will also be relevant for Step 3?

Sorry for bumping this again, but I would appreciate input from any of the veterans.