Some great books for STEP 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErinO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... like most of my classmates... I bought everything I saw people using, trying to ensure that I don't miss out on something special. My goal was to narrow down the pile to a usable quartet or so. I ended up using the following both during my rotations as well as for boards study. That way, you get to read the book several times as well as mark it up in your own personal way... making it a super-efficient way to gear up for STEP 2 over the course of a month or so prior. The following were the absolute best books I came to use.

1. USMLE Step 2 Secrets: Excellent overall review book. From the same guy who wrote Crush Step 2 - but much better. Definately one of the best general reviews out.

2. Boards and Wards: Also a very nice quick cursery review. Great for hammering out a decent read over several days.

3. And probably the best medicine/ pharmacology handbook available... being truly great for both the wards and boards... The Consult Manual of Internal Medicine. I would say that if you use this book during your IM/FP rotation, you will come to find that it covers about 75% of the info tested on Step 2. The remaining is from Peds & Ob-Gyn. I really loved this book, and so recommend it to anyone. Its not to be used as a review book for the exams... but rather a main reference for the wards. Its definately worth checking out.

4. USMLE Step 2 CK: Again... a very nice overall review book from the awesome writers of the First Aid bible for STEP 1. Not as mindblowingly helpful as the Step 1 counterpart... but still great.

If you combine several books... with enough dedicated time... you should be able to not only score well, but learn and solidify a ton. Great luck... and post all other reccs.

Members don't see this ad.