zmkelchn

patagomate
Oct 31, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm interested to applying to DO schools, and would like to go into orthopedics (also considering podiatry). However, my sGPA is a little on the low side.
Zoology - B-
Cell Biology - B+
Inorganic Chem - A-
Inorganic Chem II - B
Physics I - A-
Physics II - A
Botany - B+
Genetics - B
Ochem I - C
Microbio - B
Scientific Advances - A (if this even counts)
3 science seminars each at 1 credit for an A
Ecology - B

This brings my sGPA to a very low 3.15-3.2, but my non sGPA is a 3.9 - a huge gap which I feel will be a red flag. Overall is 3.47, about average for DO but they want to also see a science GPA of around a 3.5 as well.

I am a JR, participate in varsity track, Volunteer for Haiti, volunteered in the ER for a summer, am doing ovarian cancer research, and was a resident assistant for two years. I also have worked in a Gastroenterology office for three years.

My question is, assuming I score well on the MCAT, should I apply for this cycle or do some grad work or a SMP. I seem to have trouble getting As in my sci classes (although I have plenty of Bs) I am currently taking Endo, Immunology, Ochem II, Calc, and an elective, which I should get Bs or As in. Bs, however, will only lower my GPA further! I would appreciate any advice.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Consider less EC's, more studying.

demayette

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm interested to applying to DO schools, and would like to go into orthopedics (also considering podiatry). However, my sGPA is a little on the low side.
Zoology - B-
Cell Biology - B+
Inorganic Chem - A-
Inorganic Chem II - B
Physics I - A-
Physics II - A
Botany - B+
Genetics - B
Ochem I - C
Microbio - B
Ecology - B

This brings my sGPA to a very low 3.15-3.2, but my non sGPA is a 3.9 - a huge gap which I feel will be a red flag. Overall is 3.47, about average for DO but they want to also see a science GPA of around a 3.5 as well.

I am a JR, participate in varsity track, Volunteer for Haiti, volunteered in the ER for a summer, am doing ovarian cancer research, and was a resident assistant for two years. I also have worked in a Gastroenterology office for three years.

My question is, assuming I score well on the MCAT, should I apply for this cycle or do some grad work or a SMP. I seem to have trouble getting As in my sci classes (although I have plenty of Bs) I am currently taking Endo, Immunology, Ochem II, Calc, and an elective, which I should get Bs or As in. Bs, however, will only lower my GPA further! I would appreciate any advice.
Wow... This is a big gap between ur sGPA and non sGPA. I dont think you have to raise ur sGPA to 3.5; however, I think a 3.3+ sGPA would better your chances. Retake all science classes with grade lower than B. Ironically, my case is opposite to yours, but not that dramatic. I have a 3.5 sGPA and a 3.2 cGPA.

jaywalk

5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Zoology - B-
Cell Biology - B+
Inorganic Chem - A-
Inorganic Chem II - B
Physics I - A-
Physics II - A
Botany - B+
Genetics - B
Ochem I - C
Microbio - B
Ecology - B

I don't think I see any of the "other science" courses that are on that list? OP did you not take any astronomy, nutrition, geology options? Also, another good way to improve is doing well in higher level sciences? being a canadian (apologize if i get this wrong) but all those science courses listed apart from immunology and endo seem to be the freshman and sophomore year courses. Did you not take any sciences in your last two years?

But anyhow even though your sgpa is around 3.2, i don't see any glaring flaws as in C-'s or lower. Most of your bio's are B's which is what ended up hurting you. I still think your overall gpa is good. Don't assume you'll well on the mcat. Go and kickass on that test. A strong mcat (>30) and applying early should get you in somewhere i am sure. Take control of the things you can right now and the other things will take care of themselves

gl :luck: