some input please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vickta02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently applied to ICO and UMSL for fall. Just wondering what people think of my stats. i have around a 3.4 gpa my oats were:
QR:360
RC:340
Bio:290
GenChem:340
OChem:320
Physics:280
Fyi, i am currently only in first semester physics right now, so that portion of the test entailed a lot of quessing.
Also, I have been working at a private optometric practice for a little over a year now, pretty much doing everything, pretesting, dilations, tonopen, i even record for the doctor so i sit in on every exam. Also i started working as an optician at sam's club, so now im starting to learn more about glasses/contacts. I also know for a fact that i will have awesome recommendation letters, two optometrists that i work for, the owner/manager of the private practice, and a professor.
Also I am only a junior right now, I was trying to apply to get in a year early, since i would have all the pre-reqs done by this year.
Any input please?

Members don't see this ad.

hi,

i am also applying right now, so i'm not too sure about what goes on, but i'm sure you would like feedback so here it goes.

based on what i have read around here, any OAT scores below 300 are not that good...so since you are just below 300 in physics and bio, i would say thats not too good and perhaps you might want to reconsider taking the OAT again for sure.

your experience sounds great tho! again, just based on what i've heard, the first round of admissions is based on grades/test scores, then the application/extracurriculars...

good luck! and its not that bad to take a year off between school. :)

Hi there!
My scores are quite similar to yours except for the fact that it was my bio and physics that were high and reading and QR were low (I scored a 290 in reading :( ). However, although my OAT scores may not be stellar, I do have a decent GPA and have also earned 2 degrees as well as tons of volunteer experience and extra curricular activities. I have also applied to ICO and have been granted an interview there. My question now is - How good of a chance do I have if my OATs are lower than average? Was it the "numbers" that got me the interview? I mean, is it now all just resting on how well I perform in the interview?
I know everyone is sick of seeing the "how good of a chance do I have" but I am really worried. Does ICO ever reject people for interviews? I just want to know that I have a decent shot at a seat there.
Thanks for any replies in advance
ICU07

From the feeling I'm getting from a lot of the members in this forum is that if you got an interview invite, there is definitely something there that they saw in your application and thus a possible future student at that school. I mean, I really don't think they give out, I apologize if it offends anyone, "pity" invites to interviews.
I was in the same boat as you, feeling really nervous, but a bunch of members in this forum really helped me out.
Just do awesome on the interview, show them how interested you are and what they would be giving up if they didn't give u an acceptance.:)