Some Nursing Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowerT10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that is looking to get in the nursing profession. She graduated a few years ago with a Bachelors in Communication and is looking to eventually become a Nurse Practitioner.

I have been trying to help her with her research but it is tough to weed through a lot of the different ways to become a nurse.

What is the quickest way? Get her ADN, start working, and start towards her BSN? Or try to get into an Accelerated program etc?

Just seems like there are a ton of avenues.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

The easiest way is to go to CNA school...then lobby to get prescription privileges for Nurse Assistants because there is a shortage of providers in your state. Then ask for equal compensation as physicians. I think it should work.

-sarcasm off-

The easiest way is to go to CNA school...then lobby to get prescription privileges for Nurse Assistants because there is a shortage of providers in your state. Then ask for equal compensation as physicians. I think it should work.

-sarcasm off-

thanks, what about a serious answer?:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend that is looking to get in the nursing profession. She graduated a few years ago with a Bachelors in Communication and is looking to eventually become a Nurse Practitioner.

I have been trying to help her with her research but it is tough to weed through a lot of the different ways to become a nurse.

What is the quickest way? Get her ADN, start working, and start towards her BSN? Or try to get into an Accelerated program etc?

Just seems like there are a ton of avenues.

Thanks for any help.

accelerated is the most pragmatic with a previous BS in communication

Accelerated programs could (I think) get you into practice in as little as three years, plus prereqs (which take about a year or so). Accelerated RN takes as little as 1 year (though it is really tough and I kind of doubt you get a good education this way) and I think short NP programs take 2 years full time.

Whether this is the safest or best way to become a nurse practitioner is another story.

A lot of hospitals don't hire ADNs anymore. It takes about 3 years to get an ADN anyway (1 year prereqs, 2 year program) and then you still don't have a BSN.

As the others suggested, a 2 year NP program would be pretty superficial and dangerous (not enough experience/knowledge).

One could also google "How to become a Nurse Practioner", like I did, and get this site:

http://www.npcentral.net/consumer/npfaq.shtml

Also, your friend must realize that nursing isn't the glamor job everyone thinks it is. Although, of course, the NP job is highly glamorous. :rolleyes:

Oldiebutgoodie

A lot of hospitals don't hire ADNs anymore. It takes about 3 years to get an ADN anyway (1 year prereqs, 2 year program) and then you still don't have a BSN.

As the others suggested, a 2 year NP program would be pretty superficial and dangerous (not enough experience/knowledge).

One could also google "How to become a Nurse Practioner", like I did, and get this site:

Also, your friend must realize that nursing isn't the glamor job everyone thinks it is. Although, of course, the NP job is highly glamorous. :rolleyes:

Oldiebutgoodie

Watchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

I spend all day filing my nails and posting on Facebook. This job is da bomb, and I went to a three year diploma program, chickie!

Oldiebutgoodie

thanks for the response, she also is looking through the financial side of things. she makes good money right now. I told her she is going to have to change her lifestyle etc. for a few years, how drastic is the New Grad RN salary? we talking below 20/hr?

she is looking in Tennessee, GA and SC.

TIA

thanks for the response, she also is looking through the financial side of things. she makes good money right now. I told her she is going to have to change her lifestyle etc. for a few years, how drastic is the New Grad RN salary? we talking below 20/hr?

she is looking in Tennessee, GA and SC.

TIA

It really depends on where she is going to work. Smaller hospitals tend to pay less. The real problem right now is getting a job at all. New grads are going months, even over a year without finding work. It's not unusual to hear new grads say they have sent out hundreds (yes, hundreds) of resumes with no return calls for interviews.

If you really want to get a better picture on what is going on in nursing, you should go to www.allnurses.com. You can take a look at the nursing students forums to see what things are like for students. I think there are forums for NPs as well.

It really depends on where she is going to work. Smaller hospitals tend to pay less. The real problem right now is getting a job at all. New grads are going months, even over a year without finding work. It's not unusual to hear new grads say they have sent out hundreds (yes, hundreds) of resumes with no return calls for interviews.

If you really want to get a better picture on what is going on in nursing, you should go to www.allnurses.com. You can take a look at the nursing students forums to see what things are like for students. I think there are forums for NPs as well.
thanks ill relay the message, wonder what the cry for nurse shortage is then....

thanks ill relay the message, wonder what the cry for nurse shortage is then....

A shortage was predicted a while ago because the assumption was made that "baby boomer" nurses would retire and leave a huge shortfall of nurses. What no one anticipated was the economy tanking in a major way. So all of those nurses who would have retired are still working, and nurses who weren't working went back to work. Add to that hospitals cutting staffing due to decreased revenues from shorter patient stays, fewer procedures, decreased reimbursements, etc., and you have the "perfect storm" more or less. There really is no shortage of nurses, in reality. There are a lot that have still chosen not to work. If the economy continues to perform poorly, even the die-hards may come out of the woodwork and start looking for positions.

A shortage was predicted a while ago because the assumption was made that "baby boomer" nurses would retire and leave a huge shortfall of nurses. What no one anticipated was the economy tanking in a major way. So all of those nurses who would have retired are still working, and nurses who weren't working went back to work. Add to that hospitals cutting staffing due to decreased revenues from shorter patient stays, fewer procedures, decreased reimbursements, etc., and you have the "perfect storm" more or less. There really is no shortage of nurses, in reality. There are a lot that have still chosen not to work. If the economy continues to perform poorly, even the die-hards may come out of the woodwork and start looking for positions.

I find this as a rhetoric, excuse me if you may. Nursing shortage is severe and it is a problem just waiting to get bigger, just wait for primary care hit the ground. With baby boomers between 55-60years holding more than 50% of current nursing workforce, this statement is far from truth.

Hospitals are working to cut down on liabilities and so are not willing ti gamble with new graduates but are paying top dollars for seasoned nurses. Yes, I left nursing making a six figure income working 4 days a week not too long ago.

Regarding easiest way to get NP, you can get a bachelors degree within 1 year fulltime if you already have a bachelors degree. You would have to be 100% fulltime for the whole year to do that. In Texas, check http://ttuhsc.edu/son

Good luck