• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

blueled

Apr 26, 2012
Status (Visible)
So for the longest time, I was gunning toward law school and was interested in practicing family law. Long story short, I realized the legal market sucks and that being a lawyer wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

So I met up with a friend who works for the local DCFS and we talked about social work. He told me about the nature of the work and I liked it, especially since I had some experience working with family services in the past (er...kinda, you'll see).

So anyways, I have a few concerns. I'm a graduating senior and will be taking a year off from school. I'm mainly interested in applying to UCLA, UC Berkeley, CSU Fullerton, CSU LA, and CSU Long Beach for my MSW. I don't know about long term goals, but for now, I'd like to work for DCFS as a children's social worker. My concerns are my work experience and major.

In terms of GPA, I have a 3.6, which is decent...right? but my major is in History. When I looked at the admissions page for the schools I listed, I saw that I completed or will have completed all the pre reqs (I'm taking stats now) so that's not an issue. But I guess being a History is atypical since I imagine most people are Psychology or Sociology majors. Will this affect me in my admissions?

Also, I don't have much work experience or volunteer experience necessarily relevant to child and family services or social work. I served 1 year as an AmeriCorps member working with low income families and their legal work in the courts, and my other jobs were just legal office jobs.

I hope and hope I'll be able to find something after I graduate that's relevant, but who knows?

What do you guys think? Do I even have a fair shot of getting into any of these schools? I have no idea how hard it is to get into an MSW program.

Vasa Lisa

Dec 8, 2010
Status (Visible)
In my community - most jobs in CPS are filled by BA/BSW level staff. I have a friend who has a BA - not sure in what - who worked in an alcohol prevention job for a few years and was hired by CPS. He loves his work.

Given your Americorps experience - I would see if you are hireable - and then after some time working within the system - you will see if it is for you. Not sure about CA - but see what jobs are available and what the requirements are.

BlackSkirtTetra

5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
The majority of MSW programs want people with a breadth of undergraduate degrees. In my program, we have people with undergraduate degrees in biology, chemistry, and Portuguese. I don't know of anyone with a History degree specifically, but I don't think it would be an impediment at all.

About the Ads

blueled

Apr 26, 2012
Status (Visible)
Are you sure? I've been lurking some threads and saw one where a person who was an attorney for many years and applied to an MSW program but was rejected (mind you, it was NYU...but dude still...I'm applying to UCLA here so same thing you know?)

BlackSkirtTetra

5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Yep, I'm pretty sure. If you have doubts, email the school and ask.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.