Some questions about...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fairylily

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm a psychology student in Italy, and I've found this forum by accident, but I'm very happy for this, in fact I wanted to know the situation of psychology students in other country, especially because I don't see a lot of chance, here, to study and working in the field I want, that is neuropsychology.

I've turned around some graduate programs' websites, but I wish an help... Is there a way to find all the colleges offering a PhD program in clinical psychology, focused in neuropsychology, better than searching all the university one to one? I think I can't survive after having done this search! :p
Moreover: I have the impression that there aren't PsyD programmes focused on neuropsych, is it true? It's a pity, because I'm more interesting in being a clinician, than a researcher... :rolleyes:

Another question is about tuition and fees... I feel I don't understand your system: how much do you pay, per year, in the graduate school? I know, it's different from country to country, but I want just to have an idea. Moreover: how can you pay it?Is there a way to work in the college, do you have to work, during the graduate school, or is there a sort of wage?
I know that these can be seen as stupid question for you, and it isn't true that I have no idea of what I'm asking, but I would be glad to have a direct feeling about these things.

Excuse me for my english, I've finished studying it 2 years ago, and now it's evening!:sleep::sleep::sleep:

:hello:

Members don't see this ad.

I am from country outside of the United States and Canada as well.

If you want to study there, try to get the book, APA's Graduate Study in Psychology. It lists all programs that are accredited in the United States and Canada. And also has categories, so you will be able to find the schools offering neuropsychology. This book was very helpful for me when I was starting my search.

About tuition, it may vary from school to school but generally, tuition is paid each semester for the amount of classes you will take that semester.

If you cannot find a program of interest to you in Italy, you can also look at programs in England. They fall under the British Psychological Society: http://www.bps.org.uk/

Finally, do not be intimidated if you think you're the only person in your country who wants to do neuropsychology. What has helped me is recognizing that there IS a demand for the services I will be able to offer. And that will set me apart from the rest of the population.

I dont know of any books or websites that just give schools with good neuropsych reputations or concentrations. So I will provide you with very unofficial and non-exhaustive list of good schools with great reputations for neuropsych in the US. Most Ph.D. programs in psych in the US are funded programs. This mean you do not pay any tuition, AND receive a month stipend to live on. The amount varies and can range from 1000-1500/month. If its not enough to live on, you may need to take out student loans through the government or private lenders. You will not have time to have an outside job in grad school. Some people can get paid practicums later in their 4th or 5th years sometimes though.

Good neuropsych programs:

University of Florida, University of South Florida, University of Houston, University of Georgia, University of Arizona, University of Kentucky, University of Connecticut, University of Pittsburgh, Pen State, Queens College,Wayne State University, Binghamton University, Ohio University, Indiana University, Univerity of Texas-Austin, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Pacific Graduate School of Psychology,

Members don't see this ad :)
Good neuropsych programs:

University of Florida, University of South Florida, University of Houston, University of Georgia, University of Arizona, University of Kentucky, University of Connecticut, University of Pittsburgh, Pen State, Queens College,Wayne State University, Binghamton University, Ohio University, Indiana University, Univerity of Texas-Austin, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Pacific Graduate School of Psychology,

Interesting list. I don't think all of those programs have neuropsychology tracks. The division 40 website has a directory of training programs.

http://www.div40.org/training/search_results.php

I didnt mean to imply that all have formal tracks, but i know all those places have faculty with neuro interest and good history of matching students at good neuropsych interships

Thank you all for your help!
Now I will search for FUNDED programs, starting from colleges you have suggested.
Now I'm in my second year of psychology in Italy, so I have 3 years before starting a graduate school (3 years for the undergraduate, and 2 for a sort of master degree, that is necessary to be considered a psychologist), and I want to do the best choice for me, so I start the search.

A problem that I see is related with the research before the PhD: how many research you are expected to do? I think in Italy, in my program, I can do just a final research, for the master thesis, and a bibliographic research for the undergraduate thesis: is this enough?

For islandgirl1: before the application for the gradate school, have you done the GRE test in your country, or is this impossible? And how have you prepared it?

:)