Some questions for Neuronix (split from another thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sailor Senshi Dermystify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I tried all those suggestions for an issue and got nowhere. Then I submitted my issue to consumerist and got in their front page. Problem fixed :)

Hey Neuronix,

Since when you became a Resident? Was it this year and thanks for the advice you gave many months ago ^_^. I know I talked you about me doing MD-PhD and I felt that my experience during my undergraduate really changed my mind. Also, are you going to focus more on PhD or MD degree? If I am not mistaken you are interested in Radiology.

Sorry for the bunch of questions but I just realized the status change :)

Members don't see this ad.

Since when you became a Resident? Was it this year and thanks for the advice you gave many months ago ^_^. I know I talked you about me doing MD-PhD and I felt that my experience during my undergraduate really changed my mind. Also, are you going to focus more on PhD or MD degree? If I am not mistaken you are interested in Radiology.

Hi dermocrat, you're welcome. I matched in rad onc instead of radiology this past year. It was just a personal choice based on my own interests, though I'm still highly interested in radiology research as applied to cancer. Given that radiation planning is based on imaging, I don't think this is much of a stretch.

In any case, I'm still not sure if I'm going to more focus on clinics or research. Only time will tell. Give me another 10 years to answer that question ;).

Hi dermocrat, you're welcome. I matched in rad onc instead of radiology this past year. It was just a personal choice based on my own interests, though I'm still highly interested in radiology research as applied to cancer. Given that radiation planning is based on imaging, I don't think this is much of a stretch.

In any case, I'm still not sure if I'm going to more focus on clinics or research. Only time will tell. Give me another 10 years to answer that question ;).

Did you match to your alma mater? I really want to go to your medical school :). How long is your residency program? Was the PhD really worth it at the end and beneficial for you in your res program.

Next ten years, WOW! I will be 33 by then, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you match to your alma mater? I really want to go to your medical school :). How long is your residency program? Was the PhD really worth it at the end and beneficial for you in your res program.

I didn't even get an interview at my alma mater. Rad onc is 5 years including internship. PhD worth it? For the free med school, sure. Otherwise unclear. Is the PhD beneficial to get a residency or within residency, pretty much no. See my blog (linked in the sig) for more info.

Next ten years, WOW! I will be 33 by then, lol.

Yeah, I'm 30 now and I still don't know where my career is going. It's pretty weird.

I didn't even get an interview at my alma mater. Rad onc is 5 years including internship. PhD worth it? For the free med school, sure. Otherwise unclear. Is the PhD beneficial to get a residency or within residency, pretty much no. See my blog (linked in the sig) for more info.

Yeah, I'm 30 now and I still don't know where my career is going. It's pretty weird.

Dang, that sucks they could have least given you an interview. Are you on the East or West coast? I mean is it worth staying in school for a PhD even though it was FREE. Do you think having a PhD will be very valuable for your future career, or is it a waste of time FOR YOU, personally. Do you regret it?

Yes, I am scared to turn 30 and not no where my life is headed. Why you don't know? 5 years is a long time and you're not a female right because I was going to ask about family life and stuff, lol.

I don't see a link in your signature.

I mean is it worth staying in school for a PhD even though it was FREE.

It depends I suppose, but generally no. I came into the program quite poor, and it was nice to not have to live like a pauper any more. The money gave me freedom to do a lot of cool things outside the program I couldn't have done otherwise. But this isn't a reason to do an MD/PhD program.

Do you think having a PhD will be very valuable for your future career, or is it a waste of time FOR YOU, personally. Do you regret it?

As I already said, I have no idea, ask me again in 10 years. As for your next question, I already know what specialty I'm doing, but I don't know what balance of clinical/research, what type of practice I will be doing, or what location I'll be going to. I don't want to go into specifics about my current location, but this isn't where I intended to be and isn't where I intend to stay, though I do think my internship and categorical programs are great programs. If I do >80% clinical, which is certainly a possibility for me, I don't think the PhD will have been worth it.

Yes, I am scared to turn 30 and not no where my life is headed. Why you don't know? 5 years is a long time and you're not a female right because I was going to ask about family life and stuff, lol.

I'm in a relationship now, though my personal life was a disaster while in the MD/PhD program. I don't plan on having children.

I don't see a link in your signature.

www.neuronix.org

Hey Neuronix,

I was wondering about getting into the "right" lab. I have talked to several grad students at medical schools and they all say that it is very important. I currently am in a rather sucky lab where I have to constantly watch my back to prevent my advisor from giving my data away to fresh grad students (he has given it away four times thus far). I really love research, I just hate the politics and the backstabbing. I was just wondering if in your experience or the experiences of your fellow MD/PhDers if you had problems with the lab you were in. I honestly don't want to spend 3-5.5 years in a bad lab situation.

Now, I know there are lab rotations but I watch every semester my PI be the nicest guy ever to rotating students and promising them things that aren't going to happen; then, the instant they officially join the lab he works them like dogs and sticks them on projects that are the opposite of what they thought they were signing up for. No one dares to "warn" the rotating grad student at the risk that the "snitch" will be absolutely chewed out by the PI and then sent before the Grad student disciplinary board for "starting false rumors." And I have heard similar things at two medical schools (once the grad students became slightly intoxicated and their "we love our PI" guard came down).

I just want to know how common this is...

Last edited:
Now, I know there are lab rotations but I watch every semester my PI be the nicest guy ever to rotating students and promising them things that aren't going to happen; then, the instant they officially join the lab he works them like dogs and sticks them on projects that are the opposite of what they thought they were signing up for. No one dares to "warn" the rotating grad student at the risk that the "snitch" will be absolutely chewed out by the PI and then sent before the Grad student disciplinary board for "starting false rumors." And I have heard similar things at two medical schools (once the grad students became slightly intoxicated and their "we love our PI" guard came down).

This is not my experience at my institution. While there are similar PIs here (and probably at every institution) the older grad students see it as their responsibility to warn new students away from those labs. I personally have warned students away from at least three labs where I know multiple students who have had issues with the PI.

This is not my experience at my institution. While there are similar PIs here (and probably at every institution) the older grad students see it as their responsibility to warn new students away from those labs. I personally have warned students away from at least three labs where I know multiple students who have had issues with the PI.

Just wanted to second K31's post. Even if the members of a lab don't feel at liberty to bad mouth it, other students who have heard about the issues or rotated through the lab won't have the same problem. I'm sure it's happened, but I can't imagine that it's common or easy for a lab/PI to hide their issues while a student rotates there for weeks on end. I've also never heard of a PI being able to discipline a student for being a "snitch." Again, maybe it's happened before, but I've never heard of that and I don't think it's all that common. As long as you pick your rotations wisely and try to be aware of any "gut feelings" you have about a lab while you're rotating, I think you can avoid ending up in the kind of situation you describe. Just try to talk to older grad student to get the down low on labs in your field of interest. You could also talk to a PI that you trust or even a program coordinator/admin since they hear dirt too.

I was wondering about getting into the "right" lab. I have talked to several grad students at medical schools and they all say that it is very important. I currently am in a rather sucky lab where I have to constantly watch my back to prevent my advisor from giving my data away to fresh grad students (he has given it away four times thus far). I really love research, I just hate the politics and the backstabbing. I was just wondering if in your experience or the experiences of your fellow MD/PhDers if you had problems with the lab you were in. I honestly don't want to spend 3-5.5 years in a bad lab situation.

This is in part because you're an undergrad. Many people just don't take undergrads doing research seriously. So your PI is trying to give away your data to someone more serious, and the grad students don't tell you the realities in the lab. When you're a grad student, you'll be more respected.

This is why there are lab rotations. It's also why you should talk to PhD and MD/PhD students who are senior or who they've had in their lab before. I think these things do tend to make themselves apparent very early on, so you can change labs with no time wasted.