some questions regarding usmle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theforeigndoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
I am planning on taking step 1 this coming january. i am almost finished with my 3rd pass, and already completed 2 full passes through all my books which makes me pretty comfortable with the material. my goal is atleast a 245, so can someone kindly let me know the answers to a few of my questions: first, some diseases have different names, and in some qbanks they use the lesser known name, will the exam be giving names that are the most common or the most obscure? second, for microbiolgoy, will the full species name be given or something like N. Gonorrhea as opposed to neisseria gonorrhea? i understand that for patho, they won't be giving the giveaway pathological feature like blueberry muffin rash but i am afraid that i wont be able to recognize diseases or bug names otherwise. third, for pharmacology, someone has told me not to know trade names or doses, is this the case? do we have to know estimates of dosing at all for any drug?
i know it is a lot of questions but i really need help as i am an fmg and want the best shot of getting residency
thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

1. They will give you the main name usually, but a lot of questions will be a secondary question anyways where you will have to diagnose prior to answering the Q.

2. I've seen both - I would make sure I'm familiar with the long name for sure.

3. All drug questions will have generic names only (no trade names) and you do not need to know the dosing.

Reactions: 1 user