some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helloheyheyhey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
probelm solved

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What pharmacy schools do you plan on applying to? From what I've seen a majority of accepted students to CA schools have a degree. The number of applicants is increasing every year ( can't imagine how much more it'll be by the time you're applying ). With this, so will competition.

Altho it doesn't hurt applying that early (when u've met all of a school's pre-reqs) i'd say the chances of you getting in is pretty slim.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not yet have to have a bachelors to be accepted to pharm school. However, since the competition is getting stiffer schools are definitely leaning towards people that have one. I would still encourage you to apply before you get a bachelors and see what happens. If you have a strong GPA, extracurriculars, recommendation, interview, or whatever else the school wants there is no reason why you can't get accepted. Of course you aren't worrying about that yet.

A 0+6 program is where you apply to a school in high school, you do two years of pre-reqs, and then you are guaranteed a spot in their pharm school if you meet certain requirements. For the other two programs you mentioned, the first number refers to the number of years it takes you to complete pre-reqs and get admitted to a school. The second number is the time you spend in pharm school. Now for these types, you aren't guaranteed a spot anywhere so you can apply to any school you want. There are also some accelerated pharm schools that only take three years to complete once you have finished your pre-reqs.

You will probably still take some gen eds at ucsc because pharm schools require them. You should look at the schools you might want to apply to and see what classes they require. Also check to see if your current university has either a pre-pharm or pre-health office because they can help you figure out what you need to do.

You do need to have a good handle on math, but you don't need to be excellent. You will most likely end up taking at least a semester of calculus for pharm school. Now I haven't actually started pharm school yet, but from what I have learned and from my classes I did for my undergrad, having a solid basic algebra foundation is mostly what you need. The math isn't too complicated. Though you will be tested on calculus for the PCAT.

You don't need to read any books this summer, unless you enjoy them like me! Everything you need to know for your classes you will be taught in them. Just stay on top of learning the material as you go through your classes. Good luck!

thank you very much for your reply

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it is too late to apply to the 0+6 schools, but you can always look. I don't know which schools do it, but if you search on this site you can probably find them.

Well, if you really feel like getting ahead...lol. I'll just give you the names of the books I used in my classes. For AP Bio, we used Campbell and Reece's "Biology" textbook, which I think is better than the Bio book I used in college and I know other universities use it. For Gen Chem, we used Silberberg's "Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change," and I suggest getting the solution manual too. I think both of those books were pretty good and easy to understand. I suggest using half.com or a similar site and finding earlier editions so they will be cheaper because you will probably have to buy a different book for your classes. Chem really never changes. Bio doesn't change that much so getting an earlier edition won't be a problem for the most important stuff. You actually might be able to find what books your university uses online and then you won't have to buy two books!