Some schools have a three letter maximum, but my letter packet has four. How to handle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_diggity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if I should create a second letter packet with only three letters and upload that to AMCAS, or if schools will just accept it with four anyway. There are others, but I am looking at St. Louis University in particular.

Members don't see this ad.

SLU seems pretty strict though, and they don’t mention a letter packet. FWIW, my school does a cover letter NOT a committee letter.

(Scrolling down to the section on Letters)

Members don't see this ad :)
"Letters of recommendation in support of your application are required for a complete application. If your school has a pre-medical advisory committee, a letter from the committee is sufficient, and you also have the option to supplement your committee letter with two additional letters of your choosing."

I would interpret this as "whatever your committee sends" is one item.
I don't know of a school that would say this doesn't meet their requirement.

Reactions: 4 users
"Letters of recommendation in support of your application are required for a complete application. If your school has a pre-medical advisory committee, a letter from the committee is sufficient, and you also have the option to supplement your committee letter with two additional letters of your choosing."

I would interpret this as "whatever your committee sends" is one item.
I don't know of a school that would say this doesn't meet their requirement.
I also called their admissions office and they confirmed that the letter packet is fine since I can’t control how my pre health advising office handles the letters.

Reactions: 1 users