Some things to think about while driving: Regarding demerits & cameras

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daemos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/...1226318738180.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Saw this on a car forum I am active on.

It seems traffic cameras in Australia are quite aggressive...which is disappointing to see it seems backwards that way.

In Canada they do mail out fines but cannot attribute demerit points to them because they cannot prove who was actually driving the car.

Is there no threshold for the cameras to go off? Although I personally have only been caught by a camera once...

When I was in Alberta radar detectors were perfectly legal and they give warnings on photo vans and what not, and there were signs everywhere (just like here) warning for stationary traffic cameras.

Members don't see this ad.

There are signs here in Tasmania for stationary traffic cameras. I don't think we have photovans, only police radar detectors.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/...1226318738180.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

It seems traffic cameras in Australia are quite aggressive...which is disappointing to see it seems backwards that way.

In Canada they do mail out fines but cannot attribute demerit points to them because they cannot prove who was actually driving the car.

Is there no threshold for the cameras to go off? Although I personally have only been caught by a camera once...

When I was in Alberta radar detectors were perfectly legal and they give warnings on photo vans and what not, and there were signs everywhere (just like here) warning for stationary traffic cameras.

I live in Alberta, and the thresholds would depend on what camera you're talking about. Red light cameras will only go off if you vehicle has not entered the intersection by the time the light turns red. ie. if any portion of your car has entered the intersection while the light is still yellow, you won't get a ticket (even if you spend the majority of your time passing through the intersection while the light is red). For speedtrap photoradar tickets, the threshold I seem to get by on is ~10% over the speed limit but don't quote me on that, as usually when I pass by a suspect vehicle on the side of the road I slow down to the speed limit. Not sure how things work in australia, but I would assume they are similar.

Sensationalist drivel. Drive the speed limit, and you'll be fine. The speed cameras are not a big deal at all.

Cheers