somebody explain the uconn scandal to me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biogirl361

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i don't usually do this, but i've been seeing a lot on here lately about uconn but can't figure out what exactly they did that everyone is upset about... anyone want to give a brief summary? :)

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i know, im curious as well. count me in too!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Biogirl361 said:
i don't usually do this, but i've been seeing a lot on here lately about uconn but can't figure out what exactly they did that everyone is upset about... anyone want to give a brief summary? :)

not exactly a scandal, just the way they operate on a regular basis---that's why so many are po'ed---they do **** like drug testing and psych testing to a coupla students each year in each class---they f'in think they have a right to violate ppl's medical, academic, and personal boundaries---that's why i call it sodomy!

check out the links to read examples of what the school does---just remember that some ppl are too wicked scared to say ****

CatsMeow said:
not exactly a scandal, just the way they operate on a regular basis---that's why so many are po'ed---they do **** like drug testing and psych testing to a coupla students each year in each class-

Not to mention that it is perfectly LEGAL for them to do this.

ItsGavinC said:

1st: You do not know all the details surrounding why they were sent to drug testing and stuff. Thus, it may not be legal in these cases.

2nd: Do you think in a school as small as this one (only one other one is smaller) that there are that many people that are so messed up that they have to pull **** like this on them?

3rd: Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

4th: Just because something is legal doesn't mean we can't change the laws.

Just to argue the counter point here, and mind you this is coming from a UCONN alum, who is a part time faculty there, and has a very good, friendly 1st name realtionship with multiple members of the adminstration there(including the dean).

"they do **** like drug testing and psych testing to a coupla students each year in each class"(poated by CatsMeow) If they're tesing a few people a year, that would be what 5 to 10% of the class, and based on the general population that would be well within "normal" levels(just think of how many of your patients are on some type of psych med, and/or have some form of addiction. And in what for many students might be there first REALLY stressfull, academically challenging envirnoment, that might actually lead an academically gifted individual to come across their first real failure of their lives, it CAN bring out underlying psychological and/or adverse and potentailly harmfull coping mechanisms. The smallness of UCONN, and how close a working relationship that many of the faculty get with the students can and lead the faculty to take of concern if they see some certain signs coming from students. As we all know, dentistry can be a very stressfull profession that can lead people to make irrational choices down the road and seek harmfull coping mechanisms that can affest their and/or their families health/ livelihood. Getting a grasp of a potential problem at an early point can help make eliminate potential problems down the road, and thata good thing.

Believe me, I'm not saying the UCONN is perfect, but I do know that its is much, much more "user friendly" than it was in the past. And if you ask the vast majority of dentists out there if their dental school "did something" to them during their years there that they found awfull/loathesome, you'd here probably 90% of them say "yes", and I'd be included in that category.

HardWay said:
1st: You do not know all the details surrounding why they were sent to drug testing and stuff. Thus, it may not be legal in these cases.

2nd: Do you think in a school as small as this one (only one other one is smaller) that there are that many people that are so messed up that they have to pull **** like this on them?

3rd: Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

4th: Just because something is legal doesn't mean we can't change the laws.

I'll respond.

1) Do YOU know all the details? I would never claim to (I actually know very little about your school, other than what some alumni have told me). It may not be legal in all cases, but that doesn't mean it's illegal in all cases.

2) I think the school has a vested interest in having students succeed, and that may include monitoring their physical and psychological well being. Perhaps I'm wrong.

3) Don't kid yourself by thinking that you are in a moral environment, or even a moral world. That would be the ideal. If you live life under that guise, you're probably in for some rude surprises. And likewise, just because something is legal doesn't make it immoral (which is your argument).

4) That's a ridiculous argument. The laws that make such actions legal also apply to a zillion other things. Are you actually attempting to remodel laws for the sole purpose of dental students?

I'm afraid that you really aren't understanding what's going on. Their actions were NOT out of concern. They are looking to nail people. They hurt people who need help. Don't you understand that what we are talking about is COERCION? No one sat down with me and said - hey, let's talk.....how are things going in clinic?.....we're here to help....you seem a little stressed. NO ONE. Instead I was coerced into sitting down and being humiliated before a committee and treated as a "problem". This was anything but helpful. It only added more stress. I don' t want to get too much into the specifics of the situation because I don't want to be identified, but they delved into some things that were absolutely none of their business. They treated me like a criminal with no rights.

And, we all know UConn is a small school. That doesn'e mean it's okay to reveal private medical info and other information about students.

Can you please tell me who the hell all of these caring individuals are at UConn? Seriously, email me and tell me who these good guys are.

DrJeff said:
Just to argue the counter point here, and mind you this is coming from a UCONN alum, who is a part time faculty there, and has a very good, friendly 1st name realtionship with multiple members of the adminstration there(including the dean).

"they do **** like drug testing and psych testing to a coupla students each year in each class"(poated by CatsMeow) If they're tesing a few people a year, that would be what 5 to 10% of the class, and based on the general population that would be well within "normal" levels(just think of how many of your patients are on some type of psych med, and/or have some form of addiction. And in what for many students might be there first REALLY stressfull, academically challenging envirnoment, that might actually lead an academically gifted individual to come across their first real failure of their lives, it CAN bring out underlying psychological and/or adverse and potentailly harmfull coping mechanisms. The smallness of UCONN, and how close a working relationship that many of the faculty get with the students can and lead the faculty to take of concern if they see some certain signs coming from students. As we all know, dentistry can be a very stressfull profession that can lead people to make irrational choices down the road and seek harmfull coping mechanisms that can affest their and/or their families health/ livelihood. Getting a grasp of a potential problem at an early point can help make eliminate potential problems down the road, and thata good thing.

Believe me, I'm not saying the UCONN is perfect, but I do know that its is much, much more "user friendly" than it was in the past. And if you ask the vast majority of dentists out there if their dental school "did something" to them during their years there that they found awfull/loathesome, you'd here probably 90% of them say "yes", and I'd be included in that category.

iamhuman said:
I'm afraid that you really aren't understanding what's going on. Their actions were NOT out of concern. They are looking to nail people. They hurt people who need help. Don't you understand that what we are talking about is COERCION? No one sat down with me and said - hey, let's talk.....how are things going in clinic?.....we're here to help....you seem a little stressed. NO ONE. Instead I was coerced into sitting down and being humiliated before a committee and treated as a "problem". This was anything but helpful. It only added more stress. I don' t want to get too much into the specifics of the situation because I don't want to be identified, but they delved into some things that were absolutely none of their business. They treated me like a criminal with no rights.

And, we all know UConn is a small school. That doesn'e mean it's okay to reveal private medical info and other information about students.

Can you please tell me who the hell all of these caring individuals are at UConn? Seriously, email me and tell me who these good guys are.

As an alum (although, not as alum as DrJeff), I can vouch for the fact that these things were ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, NOT done out of concern. (That is is not to say that SOME faculty aren't concerned.) Things that I experienced and some of my friends experienced were done to "fix" the students so that the faculty could like them. I can give many, very specific examples of where one classmates behavior was very intentionally blown far out of proportion in order to "justify" the school's actions. However, some other classmates did some things that were HIGHLY inappropriate (even illegal, ie like clear sexual harrassment) and the behavior was reported by NUMEROUS students, but b/c the instigator never bothered the faculty, then the administration chose to look the other way.

ItsGavinC said:

If it were "legal" in these cases, they wouldn't have had to lie to justify what they did.

DrJeff said:

Whose to say that they didn't create the problems that you claim they are trying to "fix." Further, dental students are not a typical sample of the general population. Thus, your percentages are off. Finally, just because no school is perfect and UConn has SOME successes doesn't mean that we can't make it a better school.

Can I ask what year you graduated?

Me4 said:
As an alum (although, not as alum as DrJeff), I can vouch for the fact that these things were ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, NOT done out of concern. (That is is not to say that SOME faculty aren't concerned.) Things that I experienced and some of my friends experienced were done to "fix" the students so that the faculty could like them. I can give many, very specific examples of where one classmates behavior was very intentionally blown far out of proportion in order to "justify" the school's actions. However, some other classmates did some things that were HIGHLY inappropriate (even illegal, ie like clear sexual harrassment) and the behavior was reported by NUMEROUS students, but b/c the instigator never bothered the faculty, then the administration chose to look the other way.

Members don't see this ad :)
InMyCrossHairs said:
Please, like you two aren't one and the same.

Yeah, thats a little fishy, joined on the same day???

I think that drug testing schould be required of all students just like we're required to be disease tested (for hep b and TB) before entering school and periodically thereafter. If you think that drug testing is "violating" you then i guess you think disease testing is too... plus, patients have a right to a dentist that isn't on drugs... and anyway, if you don't have anything to hide then what's the big deal. mind you this should be for everyone though, not just a few people a year.

JRogoff said:
Yeah, thats a little fishy, joined on the same day???
dude, that penis picture weirds me out. Please change it.

Biogirl361 said:
I think that drug testing schould be required of all students just like we're required to be disease tested (for hep b and TB) before entering school and periodically thereafter. If you think that drug testing is "violating" you then i guess you think disease testing is too... plus, patients have a right to a dentist that isn't on drugs... and anyway, if you don't have anything to hide then what's the big deal. mind you this should be for everyone though, not just a few people a year.

You're nuts.

I'm just curious, but can't your student council and/or ASDA council do anything about it? I was under the impression that ASDA worked to protect the rights and interests of its students...

Biogirl361 said:

That really is nuts..

Where do you draw the line? Monitoring all students to make sure they don't go out and have a few beers the night before? Not allow any student to operate who is suffering from a lack of sex? C'mon. If you're functioning and not screwing anything up..let people be.

You know, that guy that is trying to make 2 ppl be the same person? How can we trust him when he tried to claim that ppl graduate from WVU in 18mo? :laugh:

Biogirl361 said:

It wasn't for everyone, that was the problem! Additionally, it wasn't done with "good" intentions nor was it done with legitimate reasons. It was done at the will and (in)discretion of the administration!

^^ How come you didn't answer my PM?

but although i think whining about drug testing is stupid, i will agree I don't like the part about them making people go to counseling and stuff due to personality tests... our school does those personality test thingies too and i hate it... but as far as i know they don't actually do anything to people whose personality "fails"....

Biogirl361 said:
but although i think whining about drug testing is stupid, i will agree I don't like the part about them making people go to counseling and stuff due to personality tests... our school does those personality test thingies too and i hate it... but as far as i know they don't actually do anything to people whose personality "fails"....

What are these tests? Why do they do them? Do they do it to all students or just to some? To those that they do it to, do they have good reasons for doing it or is it just because some professor got irritated by them?

iamhuman said:
Can I ask what year you graduated?

I won't say what year, just know it was long enough ago for me to finish a residency and begin a teaching position. I never thought I would end up as a professor, but I must say that I simply adore it so far. I couldn't be happier. :)

Biogirl361 said:

Drug testing cannot be compared to Disease testing. They are 2 different things. One deals with a disease that the carrier may not realize they have and then they inadvertently spread it. As health care providers, we are required to prevent the spread of disease, not encourage it. Second, one can see the effects of being intoxicated.

Me4 said:
What are these tests? Why do they do them? Do they do it to all students or just to some? To those that they do it to, do they have good reasons for doing it or is it just because some professor got irritated by them?

at our school they made everyone take 2 or 3 personality tests first year and i believe they are making us take another one this year. I'm not sure why other than that they say they want us to see where we are ethically compared to where we "should" be. then they posted the class results as a graph so we could see where our scores are compared to the rest of the class. there were no penalties for being in different "stages" of ethics though.

i equate drug and disease testing because both involve your medical/personal status and privacy and both could have negative effects towards patients. i just don't understand why people get so worked up about their "rights" when it comes to drug testing but don't mind getting tested for other stuff.

for the guy that said "where do you draw the line", i see your point, but i would say you draw the line at legality - schools should be allowed to take measures to ensure their students aren't breaking the law especially when it could have a negative effect on patient care.

Biogirl361 said:
at our school they made everyone take 2 or 3 personality tests first year and i believe they are making us take another one this year. I'm not sure why other than that they say they want us to see where we are ethically compared to where we "should" be. then they posted the class results as a graph so we could see where our scores are compared to the rest of the class. there were no penalties for being in different "stages" of ethics though.

i equate drug and disease testing because both involve your medical/personal status and privacy and both could have negative effects towards patients. i just don't understand why people get so worked up about their "rights" when it comes to drug testing but don't mind getting tested for other stuff.

for the guy that said "where do you draw the line", i see your point, but i would say you draw the line at legality - schools should be allowed to take measures to ensure their students aren't breaking the law especially when it could have a negative effect on patient care.

What were the names of these tests? Could you give me an example of some of the questions on those exams?

As I understand the pm's that have come to me by current UConn students, the testing they do at UConn is forced upon only some students and the results of the test can have deleterious consequences.

yeah ours are for everyone and have no consequences, so they aren't that big of a deal, just annoying. stuff like, "in your opinion, should dentists be able to choose who they see and don't see"..etc for the ethics tests and "would you rather party with a lot of people or relax with a couple close friends" for the personality ones, just for a couple of examples. no big deal, just sorta annoying.

ItsGavinC said:
I'll respond.

1) Do YOU know all the details? I would never claim to (I actually know very little about your school, other than what some alumni have told me). It may not be legal in all cases, but that doesn't mean it's illegal in all cases.

2) I think the school has a vested interest in having students succeed, and that may include monitoring their physical and psychological well being. Perhaps I'm wrong.

3) Don't kid yourself by thinking that you are in a moral environment, or even a moral world. That would be the ideal. If you live life under that guise, you're probably in for some rude surprises. And likewise, just because something is legal doesn't make it immoral (which is your argument).

4) That's a ridiculous argument. The laws that make such actions legal also apply to a zillion other things. Are you actually attempting to remodel laws for the sole purpose of dental students?

EXCELLENT RESPONSE.

Biogirl361 said:
yeah ours are for everyone and have no consequences, so they aren't that big of a deal, just annoying. stuff like, "in your opinion, should dentists be able to choose who they see and don't see"..etc for the ethics tests and "would you rather party with a lot of people or relax with a couple close friends" for the personality ones, just for a couple of examples. no big deal, just sorta annoying.

From the pm's I've received, these tests don't sound like the ones they subject UConn students to. The ones UConn students take are true neuropsychological examinations. It seems as if the UConn tests are trying to place psychopathological labels on the person.

Your tests seem a bit more fair. They are administered to every student and they seem to focus on DENTAL ethics. Those tests are probably a way for educators to see if they failed to teach students what is considered ethical in this profession. As for the other types of questions (like about partying), I'm not sure what they are after. Maybe they just want to know what the best way is to communicate with you guys, ie group activities or individual work. That's the best I can come up with.

Me4 said:
From the pm's I've received, these tests don't sound like the ones they subject UConn students to. The ones UConn students take are true neuropsychological examinations. It seems as if the UConn tests are trying to place psychopathological labels on the person.

Your tests seem a bit more fair. They are administered to every student and they seem to focus on DENTAL ethics. Those tests are probably a way for educators to see if they failed to teach students what is considered ethical in this profession. As for the other types of questions (like about partying), I'm not sure what they are after. Maybe they just want to know what the best way is to communicate with you guys, ie group activities or individual work. That's the best I can come up with.

yeah i wasn't really complaining about our tests, i just think stuff like that is a lot more worth complaining about than drug testing, especially if like you say that other schools have even worse ones.

Biogirl361 said:

uhh---we live in the us, not communist russia!

Me4 said:
If it were "legal" in these cases, they wouldn't have had to lie to justify what they did.

they lie so f*cking much that evry once in a while they screw up a bit and put that lie in writing so that any idiot can see that it is a lie, then they have the f*cking b@lls to deny it---then they expect u to have respect for them---wtf---why don't they act in a respectable manner---since when is lieing respectable---!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biogirl361 said:

I believe that Drug testing violates two constitutional amendments: The 4th Amendment, in which citizens are protected from unreasonable search and seizure; and the 14th Amendment, in which citizens are considered innocent unless proven guilty.

Furthermore, I believe that that drug testing is unethical and is a violation of your human rights.

I never have used drugs nor plan to.

Guys!!!!This is a free country/forum and she's entitled to her opinion. Please dont bash! :rolleyes:

Biogirl361 said:

Yea....you can't really pass your pot/crack smoking habits to your patients or other students like you could HepB or TB. Drug use is a habit not a decease. I just don’t think they are related. Just a thought....How come schools don't require you get tested for HIV? Do you know? Its lethal just like HepB and TB.

ElCubanito said:
Yea....you can't really pass your pot/crack smoking habits to your patients or other students like you could HepB or TB. Drug use is a habit not a decease. I just don’t think they are related. Just a thought....How come schools don't require you get tested for HIV? Do you know? Its lethal just like HepB and TB.

in immunology in undergrad they told us that hiv testing was reserved for high risk individuals/populations because of its high rate of false positives. and once you get a positive hiv test you legally have to report it on doctor's forms and stuff even if you retest negative later. so that may have to do with why everyone doesn't have to get hiv tested. the only other reason i can think of is that i'm sure there would be public outcry about rights from most of the same people that cry about drug testing-

i just think it's hilarious how worked up people get about their "human rights" yadda yadda when it comes to drug testing (but not other testing). it's illegal and you are applying or in a professional/health care program, i don't see how making sure people are clean/legal is a bad thing. i don't want a dentist that does drugs regularly! jmo, don't hate :D

Biogirl361 said:
in immunology in undergrad they told us that hiv testing was reserved for high risk individuals/populations because of its high rate of false positives. and once you get a positive hiv test you legally have to report it on doctor's forms and stuff even if you retest negative later. so that may have to do with why everyone doesn't have to get hiv tested. the only other reason i can think of is that i'm sure there would be public outcry about rights from most of the same people that cry about drug testing-

i just think it's hilarious how worked up people get about their "human rights" yadda yadda when it comes to drug testing (but not other testing). it's illegal and you are applying or in a professional/health care program, i don't see how making sure people are clean/legal is a bad thing. i don't want a dentist that does drugs regularly! jmo, don't hate :D

Human rights are not something to be taken lightly! Before I came to the US, mine were violated everyday. Yes, a lot of people are sensitive on the subject.

But then why stop with dental students....you might also want to try doctors,nurses,chiropractors,lawyers,teachers. Actually, any occupation that deals/works with the public :idea: .

Listen, next time you go to the dentist you should ask him for drug test results before he starts working on you. See what he says. By the by, Im not hatting. You are entitled to your opinion.

ElCubanito said:
But then why stop with dental students....you might also want to try doctors,nurses,chiropractors,lawyers,teachers. Actually, any occupation that deals/works with the public :idea: .

yes i would agree with that. i don't want to get substandard care because my health professonal is a drug addict. i think it would add more credibility and trust towards all professionals if drug testing were required. i wouldn't ask my doc to see his drug test because you have to trust your doctors... but i'd certainly quit going there if i so much as heard a rumor that he failed his drug test...

Biogirl361 said:
yes i would agree with that. i don't want to get substandard care because my health professonal is a drug addict. i think it would add more credibility and trust towards all professionals if drug testing were required. i wouldn't ask my doc to see his drug test because you have to trust your doctors... but i'd certainly quit going there if i so much as heard a rumor that he failed his drug test...

Yes, its based on trust. Students should also be given the benefit of the doubt.

ElCubanito said:
Yes, its based on trust. Students should also be given the benefit of the doubt.

but we live in a world, where not everyone is trustworthy...

Although I don't know about this situation first hand, from personal experience I can say that SOME administrative people ABUSE power, answer to no moral authority and bend the "laws" for their convenience. No one should be defending such people. Such people should be impeached from whatever office they hold. This type of bull**** can not and should not be tolerated at dental schools. Yea, the world isn't perfect and theres crap to deal with everywhere -- BUT there should be a limit on the amount of crap (to put it bluntly). Essentially, there should be a decent level of fairness which should be in place.

My advice: Consult with a lawyer and nail these people. They want to target students and make "examples"? Fine. Guess what though, you live in a country where you have the potential to make "examples" out of them. Go for it, I say. Try to see if you could do it after you graduate so they can't deny you your degree.

Best of luck. And if I'm wrong and you're the screwball, then you'll get whats coming to you.

dentwannabe said:
Although I don't know about this situation first hand, from personal experience I can say that SOME administrative people ABUSE power, answer to no moral authority and bend the "laws" for their convenience. No one should be defending such people. Such people should be impeached from whatever office they hold. This type of bull**** can not and should not be tolerated at dental schools. Yea, the world isn't perfect and theres crap to deal with everywhere -- BUT there should be a limit on the amount of crap (to put it bluntly). Essentially, there should be a decent level of fairness which should be in place.

My advice: Consult with a lawyer and nail these people. They want to target students and make "examples"? Fine. Guess what though, you live in a country where you have the potential to make "examples" out of them. Go for it, I say. Try to see if you could do it after you graduate so they can't deny you your degree.

Best of luck. And if I'm wrong and you're the screwball, then you'll get whats coming to you.

It's true that only SOME abuse their power. Not all faculty are out to get students (had to sneak that one in since I am now faculty).

Second, we are working for a "decent level of fairness" among other things.

Lastly, consulting with a lawyer may not cut it. Why? Well, first, we must find a lawyer well-versed in higher-education law, among other things. Further, a lawsuit may not be the way to go. Other ppl have suggested other ideas like forming a committee. It might be a good idea to have a lawyer on that committee.

Me4 said:
It's true that only SOME abuse their power. Not all faculty are out to get students (had to sneak that one in since I am now faculty).

Second, we are working for a "decent level of fairness" among other things.

Lastly, consulting with a lawyer may not cut it. Why? Well, first, we must find a lawyer well-versed in higher-education law, among other things. Further, a lawsuit may not be the way to go. Other ppl have suggested other ideas like forming a committee. It might be a good idea to have a lawyer on that committee.

Closing. Please discuss in the remaining open UConn thread. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.