Somebody help pleeeeeease!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

instigata

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year undergraduate and I am going to graduate next year (By the end of my third year). I have not taken the MCAT yet but I am going to take it in August. I wanted to take a shot at applying this year (my second year) because if I don't I will have to apply next year and I will be out of school for a whole year. If I get rejected this year I will of course apply next year, but I heard that reapplying looks bad...is this really true?? I am specifically looking at the UC's. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

instigata said:
I am a second year undergraduate and I am going to graduate next year (By the end of my third year). I have not taken the MCAT yet but I am going to take it in August. I wanted to take a shot at applying this year (my second year) because if I don't I will have to apply next year and I will be out of school for a whole year. If I get rejected this year I will of course apply next year, but I heard that reapplying looks bad...is this really true?? I am specifically looking at the UC's. THANKS!

Gunnner. G-U-N-N-E-R. You're finishing you're undergraduate coursework in three years, and you're freaking out because you might have to take a year off between undergrad and med school. What are you, 19, 20? Enjoy your youth and freedom while you still can. Stop flipping out over the prospect of "having" to take a year off; use this time to gain valuable clinical experience, travel, have fun, live, grow as a person. You have the rest of your life to jam your nose in a book and practice medicine. Don't worry about a year off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplying to medical school for the most part is not a negative thing. It actually shows your committment to the medical profession. Just make sure you do something between application cycles to improve your reapplication status by doing clinical work, volunteering, research, etc...

I finished undergrad in 4yrs, but as I am about to enter med school this yr (straight out of college) I am actually wishing I had a yr off for travel and to work out to drop some of this college weight :scared: I didnt want to lose a yr and have to reapply, but now I kinda wished I would have waited a yr just to apply. Makes sense? no, but sometimes a break is good, esp if you have blasted through undergrad

MoxieDO said:
I finished undergrad in 4yrs, but as I am about to enter med school this yr (straight out of college) I am actually wishing I had a yr off for travel and to work out to drop some of this college weight :scared: I didnt want to lose a yr and have to reapply, but now I kinda wished I would have waited a yr just to apply. Makes sense? no, but sometimes a break is good, esp if you have blasted through undergrad

You could ask for a deferment if they allow it. Some schools want their student's to destress after college before starting med school. Kinda makes them start out "refreshed"...

instigata said:

enjoy the year off, i guess your 20, 21, 1year wont kill you too much

Reapplying, except for a few schools, looks better than first-time applicants, for the reasons mentioned above. As much as it seems a big deal now, putting off applying may atually be good - get more experience under your belt, allow you time to think about your life; maybe actually see a dead body and the opposite gender's genitaila before anatomy class.

Man, you caught me offguard on that one. And that was a good swig of Sierra Mist, too.