Somebody Please Answer Me. its with getting into a 6 year pharmacy program.

Started by tommy729
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tommy729

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am currently a junior in a top public high school in Colorado, with over 3700 students. I was really interested... No, I am determined to become a pharmacist, and I really want to get into a 6 year pharmacy program. I have searched a lot of the schools that have it, but I get this feeling that its so hard to get into... I currently have a high school weighted gpa of 3.5 and is raising because I still have 2 semesters left to raise it more. (Currently ranked like 300/895, this will go up higher too.) I play on the lacrosse team in school, I have been in Key Club now since sophomore year, I have volunteered in a hospital over 105 hours ( almost 2 years?) and continously volunteering, and I have joined the science research in school this year. (I have more other out of school "extra-curriculum activities) I have taken honors math and honors science since my freshman year and currently in honors too. My first language is Korean which I can speak, type, read fluently, then I guess English, can be counted as my second language, and I have also been taking Spanish since my freshman year and will continue until my senior year. So I have 3 languages. I currently have only one A.P. class this junior year, which is English. Another interesting thing people find amusing of my history is that I also have a second degree black-belt in Tae Kwon Do. Oh yea I am Asian, if that matters. I am planning to take SAT II, and for my SAT math i get a score of 650 and above, but my SAT verbal isnt that good.

People that are really familiar with getting into a 6 year pharmacy program, or people who have been accepted into a 6 year pharmacy program, can you please tell me if I am legible for a 6 year phamacy program,, Do you think it will be really hard for me to get accepted into a 6 year pharmacy program? Do you think it would be easy for me to get accepted into it?? What do you think, please tell me, it would be so thankful.
-Thank you for taking your time to read this and answering my question. Thanks.🙂
 
Last edited:
i dont have any experience with 6 year pharm programs, but I am just curious: whats the big deal with getting in to one? You realize you can just apply to college, do well academically in college, continue to participate in volunteer/work activties related to the pharmacy field, play sports (if thats what you do), join clubs, make your app even STRONGER than it is now....and then apply to pharm schools at the end of your college career?

It just seems as tho you think the 6 year programs straight out of high school are the end-all-be-all, and they don't have to be. If you dont' get accepted, then so what! Thats what you have four years of college for, you start from scratch and build up our resume even more. Then when it comes time to apply to pharm schools you are gonna kick ass.

I applied to an 8 year bacc/MD program with USC....I didnt get in. I did get in to college tho, and I have done well, I recently applied to multiple med schools, and will be starting med school next year. So, its no big deal if you dont get in straight out of high school.

Is there a reason it is 6 year pharm or bust?
 
To be "competitive" at my university upwards of an 1150 on the OLD SAT is mandatory, I'd get a 1200 to be safe. I think you're making the right choice by going to a 6-year program if possible. All my roommates love it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i dont have any experience with 6 year pharm programs, but I am just curious: whats the big deal with getting in to one? You realize you can just apply to college, do well academically in college, continue to participate in volunteer/work activties related to the pharmacy field, play sports (if thats what you do), join clubs, make your app even STRONGER than it is now....and then apply to pharm schools at the end of your college career?

It just seems as tho you think the 6 year programs straight out of high school are the end-all-be-all, and they don't have to be. If you dont' get accepted, then so what! Thats what you have four years of college for, you start from scratch and build up our resume even more. Then when it comes time to apply to pharm schools you are gonna kick ass.

I applied to an 8 year bacc/MD program with USC....I didnt get in. I did get in to college tho, and I have done well, I recently applied to multiple med schools, and will be starting med school next year. So, its no big deal if you dont get in straight out of high school.

Is there a reason it is 6 year pharm or bust?


ryserr21, I see your point. Everybody thats interested in the 6 year pharm.D program sound like their only goal in life is to get into a 6 year pharmacy program. But the thing is "I" think time is really important, and I do want to become a pharmacists as one of my family member is one, some of our family friends are pharmacists and it just sounds perfect for me. To become a pharmacist from a 4 year college and then apply to a pharmacy school as a graduate student, it gets harder to get in. I think it saves time, money, and stress if you just get accpeted into a 6 year pharmacy program and stay in.
 
ryserr21, I see your point. Everybody thats interested in the 6 year pharm.D program sound like their only goal in life is to get into a 6 year pharmacy program. But the thing is "I" think time is really important, and I do want to become a pharmacists as one of my family member is one, some of our family friends are pharmacists and it just sounds perfect for me. To become a pharmacist from a 4 year college and then apply to a pharmacy school as a graduate student, it gets harder to get in. I think it saves time, money, and stress if you just get accpeted into a 6 year pharmacy program and stay in.

I see how it can save time and money.....but your post seems far from stress me. My point is that if you happen to not be accepted to a 6 year program.....the game isnt over! If you really want to be a pharmacist, you will get their any way you can. Best of luck.
 
I see how it can save time and money.....but your post seems far from stress me. My point is that if you happen to not be accepted to a 6 year program.....the game isnt over! If you really want to be a pharmacist, you will get their any way you can. Best of luck.

oh. haha i see your point. Thanks.
Do you think it will be hard for me to get into a 6 year pharmacy program?
 
oh. haha i see your point. Thanks.
Do you think it will be hard for me to get into a 6 year pharmacy program?

I'm really not qualified to evaluate your app. since I was never interestd in pharm so i dont know much about their competiiveness, average stats, their app cycle, what they look for, etc. etc. Hopefully someone who knows more about it can help you out. You might try posting a thread in the pharmacy forum on SDN. I'm sure youll find some useful help there. GL
 
I talked to a "friend"/admissions committee member today at my UG. Last year's class had a 1250 for the 50th percentile out of the 1600 scale. Minimum is still 1140. The quality of the applicants has been going up a lot at my UG. The school is up 300 applications so far and they have only had the application available for 2 months. 300 may not seem like a lot, however our school is extremely small, each incoming class is about 650.
 
I talked to a "friend"/admissions committee member today at my UG. Last year's class had a 1250 for the 50th percentile out of the 1600 scale. Minimum is still 1140. The quality of the applicants has been going up a lot at my UG. The school is up 300 applications so far and they have only had the application available for 2 months. 300 may not seem like a lot, however our school is extremely small, each incoming class is about 650.


What university is "UG"???
 
I'm going thru this search now with my daughter, who's a senior. She's also "sure" she wants a PharmD, has shadowed in various medical fields, etc. and started out where you are a year ago with only wanting a 0-6 program.

Since then, she's done alot of research and learned there aren't many 0-6's left, they're getting flooded with apps, and many of them are planning to impose PCAT, interview, and other requirements in 2009. But there are also plenty of 2+4's that offer conditional guarantees or stated preference for their own prepharm students. She has actually identified 10 or so that she will probably apply to - and only 3 are true 0-6 schools! The others have other advantages, mainly that they are true universities and offer more liberal arts courses and other majors in case she changes her mind! With the financial crisis affecting the availability of student loans, and possibly instituitional aid, she also wants to apply to a few public schools where she can get instate tuition rates!

So, my advice would be to really look into schools in the areas of the country you're interested in, and email the admissions folks for specific questions. They're generally more than willing to tell you the averages for their admitted students and answer questions - it's their job! Get (and stay) organized - make a chart/matrix so you can compare what the colleges and programs are like and request information on them so you know the requirements/procedures. Use this year to boost your gpa and rank, visit a few schools in your area, do some shadowing if you can, and study for your SAT/ACT tests! Plan on taking them more than once - ie. take the first one in the spring and don't have the scores sent to colleges. Then you have the whole summer to study on the areas you need to work on and can take them again in Sept/Oct.

I hope this is helpful...good luck!
 
I'm going thru this search now with my daughter, who's a senior. She's also "sure" she wants a PharmD, has shadowed in various medical fields, etc. and started out where you are a year ago with only wanting a 0-6 program.

Since then, she's done alot of research and learned there aren't many 0-6's left, they're getting flooded with apps, and many of them are planning to impose PCAT, interview, and other requirements in 2009. But there are also plenty of 2+4's that offer conditional guarantees or stated preference for their own prepharm students. She has actually identified 10 or so that she will probably apply to - and only 3 are true 0-6 schools! The others have other advantages, mainly that they are true universities and offer more liberal arts courses and other majors in case she changes her mind! With the financial crisis affecting the availability of student loans, and possibly instituitional aid, she also wants to apply to a few public schools where she can get instate tuition rates!

So, my advice would be to really look into schools in the areas of the country you're interested in, and email the admissions folks for specific questions. They're generally more than willing to tell you the averages for their admitted students and answer questions - it's their job! Get (and stay) organized - make a chart/matrix so you can compare what the colleges and programs are like and request information on them so you know the requirements/procedures. Use this year to boost your gpa and rank, visit a few schools in your area, do some shadowing if you can, and study for your SAT/ACT tests! Plan on taking them more than once - ie. take the first one in the spring and don't have the scores sent to colleges. Then you have the whole summer to study on the areas you need to work on and can take them again in Sept/Oct.

I hope this is helpful...good luck!


Thank you for your advice. When your daugther gets admitted to a 6 year program,, is it possible you give me more advice? like what was her gpa, sat scores, extra curriculum and stuff and where did she get admitted to?? That would be greatful.
Good luck to you and your daughter!
 
Hi, I was reading over this forum and I am also interested in the 6-year PharmD program. Do you have to take the SATs to qualify for it or is ACT acceptable?

Thanks