Somebody's Law?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyrabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there everyone,

I am doing some research for an assignment and I was reading the other night about somebody's law, however I can't remember whose it is...

The law states that a complex occuring sooner after a preceding complex will be more aberrant than one occuring later.

Obviously this is with reference to the QRS on an ECG. This isn't the exact wording, and maybe I got it around the wrong way, but it has something to do with conduction of complexes.

Does anyone know what this is?! It didn't sound like a superbly well kept secret or anything like that.

Thanks in advance to the cardiology god who can answer this!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...aberrancy of the QRS complex could be the result of an atrial or ventricular impulse, and may be functional or organic.

There are several phenomena consistent with what you are describing...specifically aberration caused by premature excitation, Ashman's phenomenon, and acceleration-dependent aberration.

Not sure about a "law" though...

The law states that a complex occuring sooner after a preceding complex will be more aberrant than one occuring later.

Ashman's phenomenon. The right bundle has a longer refractory period so you get that type morphology of a bundle branch block.

-The Trifling Jester

Members don't see this ad :)
Your response doesn't exactly address the electrophysiology of the statement you quoted...

Moot point, but...the OP's question is more consistent with preexcitation aberrancy. i.e. the shorter the coupling interval, the more bizarre the QRS morphology.

Ashman's simply refers to a long'short phenomenon. Given the ambiguity of the OP's question I included it in my differential nonetheless.

Last edited: