Something really scary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butiwuvu

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at people a few minutes ago, and got a little scared that each one had a skeleton inside. Like a real life horror skeleton, moving with them as they walked. Every time someone looked at me, all I could think of was a skull looking at me.

What happens if I see a bone in med school and freak out?

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking at people a few minutes ago, and got a little scared that each one had a skeleton inside. Like a real life horror skeleton, moving with them as they walked. Every time someone looked at me, all I could think of was a skull looking at me.

seek professional help.... like a doctor... dont try to be one just see one:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you chose the wrong profession...

I'm also a little worried that it took you this long to realize humans have skeletons in them.

I dunno...skeletons seem to me to be on the low-end of horror threats. Sure, they walk faster than zombies, but they pretty much fall apart at the first good whack. Of course, when they're firmly encased in a living host, I'd say the point is moot.

But seriously, if you're honestly getting freaked out by just the idea of bones you might want to talk with a therapist. There is a school of thought in psychology that many such neuroses and fears directly stem from an unresolved and/or unconscious fear of death and dying. In such a case, entering the field of medicine would be something like an arachnophobe going on to study spiders, or an agoraphobe going into parks management...

that is such an awesome vision. It's not scary at all, it's a really interesting way of looking at things, and it's beautiful in the way it unites everyone under a common identity.

Very interesting!

I think you chose the wrong profession...

I'm also a little worried that it took you this long to realize humans have skeletons in them.

:laugh:
Thanks, I needed that laugh.

zomg! i no rite, liek boens (did i spel that rit?) r soooooooooooo freakie@!@!!!!!1 idk wut imma du wen i c 1, cuz everytim i c 1 nao i tottaly freak outtttttttttttttttt & omg.

imma go thro up jus cuz of thining bout dat.

zomg! i no rite, liek boens (did i spel that rit?) r soooooooooooo freakie@!@!!!!!1 idk wut imma du wen i c 1, cuz everytim i c 1 nao i tottaly freak outtttttttttttttttt & omg.

imma go thro up jus cuz of thining bout dat.

smoke crack much? That comment might be more disturbing than the thread title post.

...Second thought, no. Not by a long shot.

bah to skeletons. Let me take out my +2 mace of disruption....

In such a case, entering the field of medicine would be something like an arachnophobe going on to study spiders, or an agoraphobe going into parks management...

:laugh: who knows, sometimes , facing the fobia can be a clue to resolving it.
maybe a bone is a synonym for a medschool rejection for the OP, and once he gets in, he'll get over it.

gees, what's up with all these strange posts lately ?

Members don't see this ad :)
smoke crack much? That comment might be more disturbing than the thread title post.

...Second thought, no. Not by a long shot.

I'm hoping the OP was having a laugh at the people who get nauseous at the thought of bodily effluvia and still plan to go into medicine.

I'm hoping the OP was having a laugh at the people who get nauseous at the thought of bodily effluvia and still plan to go into medicine.

i have vomitofobia. :scared:

OP, when I read your post, it made me think how really glad I am to have a skeleton. I started imagining people without them - as formless blobs.

I'd prefer to imagine them the way you were seeing them. Much cooler.

You probably won't freak out. You'll have plenty of other people around you, each with their own particular sensitivities.

OP, when I read your post, it made me think how really glad I am to have a skeleton. I started imagining people without them - as formless blobs.

A certain Family Guy episode comes to mind :D

But seriously, if you're honestly getting freaked out by just the idea of bones you might want to talk with a therapist. There is a school of thought in psychology that many such neuroses and fears directly stem from an unresolved and/or unconscious fear of death and dying.

Could this explain fears of bugs and their EXOskeletons?

no? not even a little?

Great minds think alike...

“It's fascinating to think that all around us there's an invisible world we can't even see. I'm speaking, of course, of the World of the Invisible Scary Skeletons.”

-Jack Handey

Don't do ortho. As I'm reading this threading, there's an Enbrel commercial with X-ray views of people's bones and joints for rheumatoid arthritis.

I have friends that hated anything to do with bones or cartilage in anatomy lab... that was my favorite part.

What's even scarier is that I've already done anatomy and cadaver lab, and I was never freaked out about the whole having-a-skeleton thing until you put it like that. Yeah, skulls are eerie. I use to have a book on forensic anthropolgy, and while it was fascinating, something about those empty sockets...

BUT, I have an eye thing. As in, I hate eyes. The worst part of all those Unsolved Mysteries shows is when they show a picture of the now-dead person back when they were alive, and they're staring right at the camera.... ugh.

I almost skipped the eye-dissection day in gross lab, but I sucked it up and went. Even when one of partners cut into the eye and vitreous humor went flying in an arc past my head. I got numb and tingly, but I made it through.

This too shall pass, friend. Either that or you'll pass out when they saw off a leg. Just bring a helmet, a pillow, or a sturdy friend.

Have you interviewed yet? I went to several interviews were they took us down to the anatomy lab and showed us the cadavers (some of the cadavers had already been split open). I think the reason the medical schools do that is to see if you faint and pass out. If you do pass out, I think it's reasonable to say that they'll reject you before you ever have a chance do anything like that in med school.

It's okay to freak out. Just remember to keep breathing and find your composure. Have you ever felt nervous, say on the first day of school or the first day starting a new job? Of course everyone (in general) has the 'heebie-jeebies' to some degree whether it be fear or nervousness when experiencing something new, unexpected, and in this case something you've never really thought about before.

I guess if I were in your position I'd be thinking, "Wow, I always thought of a person as covered in skin with hair on the head and eyes beaming personality," and not as a walking structure of bones covered in pounds of muscle with gallons of blood gourging through a body of moist and gooey organ systems. But really, a person is all these things - I'm not me without my personality, and I certainly can't have a personality if I can't breathe, walk, digest food, create and respond to stimuli, think... I'd have to realize that in our case, our skulls and bones are inherently a part of us that makes us human. Studying anatomy is studying myself.

It's important for good physicians and future health-care professionals realize ideas like this. We can't be afraid of ourselves, or any part of ourselves if our goal is to succeed in medicine. Maybe, the more we think about ideas like this, and the more comfortable we get (from experience: working, volunteering, academic coursework, etc), the more prepared we will be to face any fears we have when the time comes to take that human anatomy lab in medical school, participate in our first surgery, attend to a patient, and break the news (good/bad) to a concerned family.

:luck: Good luck!

You don't have a soul.
You are a soul.
You have a body.

*zen*

IDK where I heard that.

Run
Your
Off

Don't take chances man. Get the hell out of there as fast as possible.

You should be careful, you could have a skeleton inside you and not even know it... :eek:

OMG! Do you think maybe I do too? I hope not. That would just be creepy...

;)

The grossest thing for me was when I learned about brain hemorrhages. The blood rushes through your orbital foramen and pushes your spinal cord out of your skull in 15 sec. I'm going to go throw up now...

I always keep a vial of phosphoric acid on me in case I come across any threatening bones.

Just splash and wait...

And it doesn't bother you that you have a skeleton inside, too?

Aw, don't give the poor boy a reason to have a mental breakdown over this serious issue.

and got a little scared that each one had a skeleton inside. Like a real life horror skeleton, moving with them as they walked.
Whatever you're on, I want some!

I almost skipped the eye-dissection day in gross lab, but I sucked it up and went. Even when one of partners cut into the eye and vitreous humor went flying in an arc past my head. I got numb and tingly, but I made it through.

Our cadaver died of a massive intracranial hematoma that bled into his orbital socket. When we popped the eye out all we saw was black. Kinda creepy, like something was eating his eye from inside.

Removing the face shrouds didn't bother me much, but yeah, eye day was definitely my "weird" day in anatomy.

Great minds think alike...

“It's fascinating to think that all around us there's an invisible world we can't even see. I'm speaking, of course, of the World of the Invisible Scary Skeletons.”

-Jack Handey

Cool...

Our cadaver died of a massive intracranial hematoma that bled into his orbital socket. When we popped the eye out all we saw was black. Kinda creepy, like something was eating his eye from inside.

Removing the face shrouds didn't bother me much, but yeah, eye day was definitely my "weird" day in anatomy.

Woah...dealing with dead bodies is actually one of the things I'm a little nervous about for med school. I'm sure I'll get over it sooner or later...but right now it just freaks me out a little.

How'd y'all get over it? the first time...