dental2008

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
Philly
Visit site
Status
I have two brothers at NYU dental school, a Junior and a Freshman. Well I was talking to my freshman brother and he told me their class of 2008 incoming GPA was almost a 3.4 :eek:

I was very shocked because I thought the avg for the school was near 3.1 maybe a 3.2

He also mentioned that the professors mention a lot that the class in general is a lot smarter than the 2007 class.

Well the point of putting this up, if NYU is nearing a 3.4 incoming GPA, I guess dental school might be getting a little harder to get into.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
dental2008 said:
Well the point of putting this up, if NYU is nearing a 3.4 incoming GPA, I guess dental school might be getting a little harder to get into.
It goes without saying that dental school gets harder to get into each year (as of late--this wasn't true in the 80s/early 90s).

And, what you've heard is simply heresay. Unless you get it from the dean of admissions, or some other qualified source, or it is in print somewhere, I wouldn't put much weight on it.

And finally, LOTS of people apply to NYU and don't get in. Nothing is for sure.

DB#1

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Burlington, ONTARIO
Status
dental2008 said:
I have two brothers at NYU dental school, a Junior and a Freshman. Well I was talking to my freshman brother and he told me their class of 2008 incoming GPA was almost a 3.4 :eek:

I was very shocked because I thought the avg for the school was near 3.1 maybe a 3.2

He also mentioned that the professors mention a lot that the class in general is a lot smarter than the 2007 class.

Not true...
Go to this website and check it out for yourself Bus' website stats are acurate because we all know where he get them from http://dentalstats.tripod.com/03-04.htm
It is 3.14...

pbure

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
Canada
Status
dental2008 said:
Thats for the 2007 class.

2008 would be 2004-2005
i doubt its at 3.4...highly doubt that.

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
I remeber that when my uncle got into Loma Linda in 1992 their avg gpa was 2.90....with the national avg about the same.....and DATS were in 16's and a score of 21 was in the 100th percentile. Imagine transplanting one us into that world, we could do some major damage in the admissions cycle...

NYU's gpa has been known to shuffle back and forth b/t about 3.3/3.4 and 3.1 for while. I expect that most are attracted by the low gpa one year, which unkowningly results in gpa increase one year. Then the next wave applicants is disuaded by they new higher gpa and normally high price and the gpa falls. I think BU has the same problem. Its a shame, both schools should be given better respect and perpetually increasing gpa's like most other schools....

12YearOldKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
Dentist
Generallee said:
Where does he (Bus) get them from? I don't know.....
I think it's great that he spent the time to make that site, but I can tell you that not all of those numbers are accurate. He has the average for my school about 0.3 points lower than the actual number.

J2AZ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
Generallee said:
Where does he (Bus) get them from? I don't know.....
It appears to me that he gets it from the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. If you have not already bought it and you are applying for 2006 you ought to pick it up. Cost is $35 and can be ordered through their website.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Status
J2AZ said:
It appears to me that he gets it from the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. If you have not already bought it and you are applying for 2006 you ought to pick it up. Cost is $35 and can be ordered through their website.
You're right, that's where I get my figures from.