sonigee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi sonigee-

The army scholarship is basically a one year for one year thing. They pay for everything that is required (tuition, books, instruments, fees) plus they give you approximately $1100 per month for living expenses (rent, food, etc.). So usually they pay for 4 years and then when you graduate you practice for them for four years. One of the great things about the army (vs. the navy or airforce) is you can do an advanced education general practioner residency through the army your first year out of dental school and it counts as one of your payback years. So really you do a residency (where you get experience in all of the specialties) for one year and then you practice for 3yrs. While in dental school you only get the $1100/month for 10.5 months and the other 45 days of the year ( in the summer if you have the time off) you go to army dental clinics and work there (i've heard is great experience) and they pay you $3000 for that time. If you don't get the summers off, you still get the money. Also, while you're practicing for them you are a captain in the army so you get paid about $50, 000/per year and that increases each year. Also, you do have to go through an officer training program that lasts about 1 month either the summer before you go to dental school, the summer in between your 1st and 2nd year or after you graduate dental school. It's not like boot camp. You stay in a hotel with other officers (dental, medical, and law students) and I guess you have physical exercise in the morning and the rest of the day is spent in classrooms.

I guess the overall good thing about it is: graduating with no debt especially if you want to go to areally expensive private school like Boston U. or UofP. and I've heard the experience you gain in those payback years is great.

The con's to the program: you are in the military and it is another 4yrs. of your life.

I hope this helps..if you have any other questions, just ask!

-K

Members don't see this ad.