Soon to be hem/onc fellow AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, and thank you for making this thread and dedicating your time to helping your successors. I'm a recently-matched US-IMG who is going to a respectable community IM program. I did decently well on boards (high 230s/low 250s/pass), but have no research experience. There is no heme-onc fellowship at my program currently, and while I'll do my best to get involved in research during IM residency, I'm curious what you think my chances are of matching heme-onc in the event that I apply without any/minimal research to my name. Keep in mind my goal is to work as a community heme/onc and not an academic one. I enjoy working with patients and treating the full gamut of pathology and while I'm not opposed to research, ideally I'd have a 100% clinical job (or maybe 80/20 or 90/10 clinical/research. Not sure if those types of jobs exist). Thank you once again.
 
Hello, and thank you for making this thread and dedicating your time to helping your successors. I'm a recently-matched US-IMG who is going to a respectable community IM program. I did decently well on boards (high 230s/low 250s/pass), but have no research experience. There is no heme-onc fellowship at my program currently, and while I'll do my best to get involved in research during IM residency, I'm curious what you think my chances are of matching heme-onc in the event that I apply without any/minimal research to my name. Keep in mind my goal is to work as a community heme/onc and not an academic one. I enjoy working with patients and treating the full gamut of pathology and while I'm not opposed to research, ideally I'd have a 100% clinical job (or maybe 80/20 or 90/10 clinical/research. Not sure if those types of jobs exist). Thank you once again.

I only applied to academic hem/onc programs myself so I’m a bit biased but I don’t know why you would even attempt to apply to hem/onc fellowship without research. Even if your goal is to match into a community program you’re still up against many other hungry applicants that will try to distinguish themselves. Your board scores while good, will not distinguish you. I’d say if I were in your situation I’d at least work on a QI type project or maybe something small to submit an abstract to one of the cancer conferences. Otherwise it’s an uphill battle and while it’s possible to match without research no good mentor would give you that advice. Even if there’s no hem/onc program at your hospital you can find someone maybe at the bigger academic program (maybe do an away rotation 2nd yr?) to give you something to work on. Just my 2 cents
 
I really appreciate your post. Heme Onc is my end game goal. Being an M1 now entering M2, I know i'm going to get a lot of criticism and some "you'll find out later what you really want" type comments, but unless my mind changes in the future heme-onc is my dream.

What kind of advice would you give an incoming M2? Just focus on Step 1 in the mean time? I'm currently getting honors in all my courses, so hopefully I can keep this pace up for my 2nd year courses too.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm applying to medicine but I'm pretty sure I don't want to do just hospital medicine and would want to specialize somewhere down the road.

What drew you into Heme-Onc and what made you want to do it for the rest of your life?
 
Thanks for doing this, can you speak to why someone would choose heme/onc rather than just the 2 year oncology fellowship? How is the scope of practice different?
 
I really appreciate your post. Heme Onc is my end game goal. Being an M1 now entering M2, I know i'm going to get a lot of criticism and some "you'll find out later what you really want" type comments, but unless my mind changes in the future heme-onc is my dream.

What kind of advice would you give an incoming M2? Just focus on Step 1 in the mean time? I'm currently getting honors in all my courses, so hopefully I can keep this pace up for my 2nd year courses too.

I think it’s totally reasonable to have an interest this early on in medical school. It’s a no brainer to suggest doing well on step 1 and honoring your courses. Helpful advice would be to try and work on some clinical or translational research by finding a mentor, maybe an oncologist at your medical school who does a lot of research. You don’t need a huge project but maybe something that could be submitted as an abstract. That’s my one regret from medical school that once I was settled in and comfortable with the workload I didn’t start earlier on some research (started 4th yr). It can go along way in 1) honing your interests and 2) making you more competitive for better IM residencies which in turn will eventually make you more competitive for hem/onc fellowships
 
I'm applying to medicine but I'm pretty sure I don't want to do just hospital medicine and would want to specialize somewhere down the road.

What drew you into Heme-Onc and what made you want to do it for the rest of your life?

What drew me in initially was being fascinated by the biology of cancer while taking a course during junior yr of college. It was then that I considered for the first time a career in oncology. I wavered back and forth in the beginning of med school between ent EM and IM/peds but eventually decided I wanted to be an oncologist it was just a matter of peds vs IM. During my IM clerkships I really gravitated towards pts with cancer and found taking care of them to be very rewarding. Once I decided IM I never looked back and I don’t regret any of my decisions since
 
Thanks for doing this, can you speak to why someone would choose heme/onc rather than just the 2 year oncology fellowship? How is the scope of practice different?

I’m honestly not sure bc I don’t know that much about oncology only programs. Technically you don’t need hematology even to do heme malignancies but having gone through most of 1st yr I don’t see a great reason (besides it’s shorter) to do an oncology only program. I plan on double boarding but am interested in leukemia and plan to have a fairly narrow scope of practice
 
What drew me in initially was being fascinated by the biology of cancer while taking a course during junior yr of college. It was then that I considered for the first time a career in oncology. I wavered back and forth in the beginning of med school between ent EM and IM/peds but eventually decided I wanted to be an oncologist it was just a matter of peds vs IM. During my IM clerkships I really gravitated towards pts with cancer and found taking care of them to be very rewarding. Once I decided IM I never looked back and I don’t regret any of my decisions since

My father is an oncologist and so i'm trying to see what kind of connections I can make through him for my M1/M2 summer. He knew a guy who was involved in research, but he moved to another state. My dad insists that I don't need research for a good IM residency, and I should wait for research for my fellowship during my residency. Is this true? Also, what kind of connections would you recommend I make if I can't find research through him? I heard that I can do a case report, but i'm not really too sure what that entails.
 
My father is an oncologist and so i'm trying to see what kind of connections I can make through him for my M1/M2 summer. He knew a guy who was involved in research, but he moved to another state. My dad insists that I don't need research for a good IM residency, and I should wait for research for my fellowship during my residency. Is this true? Also, what kind of connections would you recommend I make if I can't find research through him? I heard that I can do a case report, but i'm not really too sure what that entails.

He’s correct you don’t need research for a good residency program but from my experience a beefier cv with research activities makes a much more desirable IM applicant. I did a chief residency year and interviewed applicants and took part in the ranking committee and I can tell you it definitely matters. Obviously the more impactful the project the better. I wouldn’t beat yourself up over it but it’s certainly worth looking into. As far as what kind of connections speak to faculty at your med school and see who they’d recommend working with. Summer between 1st and 2nd yr is a great time for that. I’d also recommend enjoying yourself on your free time during your last summer of freedom!
 
He’s correct you don’t need research for a good residency program but from my experience a beefier cv with research activities makes a much more desirable IM applicant. I did a chief residency year and interviewed applicants and took part in the ranking committee and I can tell you it definitely matters. Obviously the more impactful the project the better. I wouldn’t beat yourself up over it but it’s certainly worth looking into. As far as what kind of connections speak to faculty at your med school and see who they’d recommend working with. Summer between 1st and 2nd yr is a great time for that. I’d also recommend enjoying yourself on your free time during your last summer of freedom!

I really appreciate your response. In regards to my question on connections, I was referring to connections through my father for activities in the summer. I asked my advisor in my Med school, and she said that research isn't necessary, but maybe a case report would suffice. In that regard, would you be able to give me a quick explanation as to what a case report for Heme/onc would look like? I'm assuming I can do one on one of my father's patients?
 
Thank you for this thread, I am an incoming M1 looking to eventually get into oncology. Is it difficult to find a job after graduating from fellowship? Also, would you say that treating patients in the outpatient community setting is also intellectually challenging/rewarding? I am very interested in the science and discovery but also want to take care of patients, is there a way to balance the two in private practice or would you have to go academic?
 
Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that oncologists actually do any sort of basic science cancer research, do they?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Md/PhD's yeah. Just MD's though?
Yes just MDs. Several of the physician-scientists both at my current center and my residency were MDs only. Obviously its more common for them to be MD/PhDs but its definitely done as an MD alone.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for this thread, I am an incoming M1 looking to eventually get into oncology. Is it difficult to find a job after graduating from fellowship? Also, would you say that treating patients in the outpatient community setting is also intellectually challenging/rewarding? I am very interested in the science and discovery but also want to take care of patients, is there a way to balance the two in private practice or would you have to go academic?

Its honestly variable when it comes to finding jobs. If you're looking for a breast cancer or leukemia or BMT spot at one of the 5 academic NYC hospitals it can be difficult. If you're however looking for "any" job including community private practice, then no I wouldn't say its difficult and haven't heard of fellows at least from academic center having many issues.

Treating patients in the community is definitely satisfying, rewarding and can be quite financially lucrative. The issue that some have is that it's really hard/impossible to focus in any specific area (ie breast, colon etc), and its very difficult to be apart of a practice that manages a lot of complex malignant heme as that often goes to academic practices and you can be left with a lot of boring anemia work ups. The benefit is that you get to treat probably more patients with more varied pathology than you otherwise would in academics (most likely). I can't speak from much experience however as I've only ever worked in the academic setting so my experience is definitely a bit biased.

Given your interest in both science and discovery and patient care the academic setting is better suited for that, but would keep an open mind as you move along. At your level I'd do a lot of reading and look for possible research opportunities in med school and try to obtain a solid IM residency spot (ie do well on step 1/step 2 get good grades, you know the obvious stuff)
 
Its honestly variable when it comes to finding jobs. If you're looking for a breast cancer or leukemia or BMT spot at one of the 5 academic NYC hospitals it can be difficult. If you're however looking for "any" job including community private practice, then no I wouldn't say its difficult and haven't heard of fellows at least from academic center having many issues.

Treating patients in the community is definitely satisfying, rewarding and can be quite financially lucrative. The issue that some have is that it's really hard/impossible to focus in any specific area (ie breast, colon etc), and its very difficult to be apart of a practice that manages a lot of complex malignant heme as that often goes to academic practices and you can be left with a lot of boring anemia work ups. The benefit is that you get to treat probably more patients with more varied pathology than you otherwise would in academics (most likely). I can't speak from much experience however as I've only ever worked in the academic setting so my experience is definitely a bit biased.

Given your interest in both science and discovery and patient care the academic setting is better suited for that, but would keep an open mind as you move along. At your level I'd do a lot of reading and look for possible research opportunities in med school and try to obtain a solid IM residency spot (ie do well on step 1/step 2 get good grades, you know the obvious stuff)
Should I be doing specifically cancer research in med school? Also, when you say academic setting, does that always refer to a professorship at a university hospital? Or is working for the NIH or some non-governmental organization also be considered academic? Thank you for your insight.
 
Should I be doing specifically cancer research in med school? Also, when you say academic setting, does that always refer to a professorship at a university hospital? Or is working for the NIH or some non-governmental organization also be considered academic? Thank you for your insight.

You don't absolutely need to be doing cancer research in medical school, although if you have an interest in research you could probably find a good mentor in the field of oncology who could guide your research interests. To me, its most important for hem/onc fellowship that you have some research activity med school + residency is best, but most only have research from residency which is fine and there is adequate time to partake during residency.

When I say academic setting I basically mean university/medical school affiliated centers. NIH is considered academic although I'm not sure what you mean exactly but non-governmental organization but probably not considered academic.
 
No questions to contribute to this thread. Just wanna say hats off to Heme-One as a whole because you guys/gals are dang smart. Every time I sit through tumor board (pancreas, liver, colon, breast, etc.), I'm blown away by how much you guys/gals know. There is so much clinical research out there going on and staying on top of it can't be easy, and then you still have to care for patients. You guys also say a lot of words that I don't understand that end in -mab and -mib. Cheers.
 
When you say research are you meaning basic science research, clinical, or does it matter?

In fellowship many large academic programs either require or suggest basic science research. Thereafter in practice at an academic center the research is almost clinical or translational unless you have your own lab which is of course somewhat rare.
 
I'm starting med school in the fall and I've been reading a lot about heme/onc. I was wondering if you would comment on how interesting are the day to day cases you see. What is the "bread and butter" of heme/onc? Do you feel like your work is repetitive because you keep seeing the same cases again and again or do you feel like you get a fair share of complex cases that are interesting? (I know this depends on whether on whether you practice in academics or private and so on)
 
I'm starting med school in the fall and I've been reading a lot about heme/onc. I was wondering if you would comment on how interesting are the day to day cases you see. What is the "bread and butter" of heme/onc? Do you feel like your work is repetitive because you keep seeing the same cases again and again or do you feel like you get a fair share of complex cases that are interesting? (I know this depends on whether on whether you practice in academics or private and so on)


1) day to day cases are quite interesting (as a fellow at least). I’ll give you yesterday and today for example; mds/mpn crossover with bone marrow biopsy to assess fit for a clinical trial with a new hypomethylating agent, a new AML transformed from MDS, myelofibrosis awaiting an anti-IL3 directed compound (all in leukemia clinic) followed by relapsed primary mediastinal B cell lymphoma on a duo-body clinical trial (anti-cd20/anti-cd3) and new diagnosis of multicentric castlemans with renal involvement both on the lymphoma consult service. Then in my own clinic a patient with antiphosphilid syndrome needing a pre-op clearance, Evans syndrome (itp + hemolytic anemia), chronic ITP secondary to adult onset stills disease, new iron deficiency anemia needing iron repletion (boring), metastatic non-small call lung cancer (squamous) PDL1+ receiving pembrolizumab single agent and finally hormone positive breast cancer s/p chemo and rt on hormone therapy (tamoxifen) coming in for follow up. This is just in the last 48 hours!

2) bread and butter cases will depend on your practice. If you do general hem/onc it’s breast prostrate lung and colon for solid tumor, iron deficiency anemia for benign heme and maybe some low grade lymphoma (marginal zone, follicular, cll/sll), pow grade MDS, ?non complex MPN like PV and ET for malignant heme. In academic practice this is much more focused and so if you do breast you’ll obviously only see breast cases all day (although there will be “variety” in metastatic vs non metastatic, hormone + vs - , triple negative, her2+ all of which are treated differently)

3) as a fellow at a large academic center I almost never feel as if my day is repetitive. Obviously as I go into practice and I may only see one area of med onc (my interest is leukemia) this could change although there still is so much variety even in one disease type. There is no shortage of complex cases and one of the benefits of being a referral center. I suspect at a small community program this may not be the case (and definitely is less likely in community practice where there’s little time to deal with complex cases—->referral to tertiary/quaternary referral center)
 
Last edited:
1) day to day cases are quite interesting (as a fellow at least). I’ll give you yesterday and today for example; mds/mpn crossover with bone marrow biopsy to assess fit for a clinical trial with a new hypomethylating agent, a new AML transformed from MDS, myelofibrosis awaiting an anti-IL3 directed compound (all in leukemia clinic) followed by relapsed primary mediastinal B cell lymphoma on a duo-body clinical trial (anti-cd20/anti-cd3) and new diagnosis of multicentric castlemans with renal involvement both on the lymphoma consult service. Then in my own clinic a patient with antiphosphilid syndrome needing a pre-op clearance, Evans syndrome (itp + hemolytic anemia), chronic ITP secondary to adult onset stills disease, new iron deficiency anemia needing iron repetition (boring), metastatic non-small call lung cancer (squamous) PDL1+ receiving pembrolizumab single agent and finally hormone positive breast cancer s/p chemo and rt on hormone therapy (tamoxifen) coming in for follow up. This is just in the last 48 hours!

2) bread and butter cases will depend on your practice. If you do general hem/onc it’s breast prostrate lung and colon for solid tumor, iron deficiency anemia for benign heme and maybe some low grade lymphoma (marginal zone, follicular, cll/sll), pow grade MDS, ?non complex MPN like PV and ET for malignant heme. In academic practice this isn’t much more focused and so if you do breast you’ll obviously only see breast cases all day (although there will be “variety” in metastatic vs non metastatic, hormone + vs - , triple negative, her2+ all of which are treated differently)

3) as a fellow at a large academic center I almost never feel as if my day is repetitive. Obviously as I go into practice and I may only see one area of med onc (my interest is leukemia) this could change although there still is so much variety even in one disease type. There is no shortage of complex cases and one of the benefits of being a referral center. I suspect at a small community program this may not be the case (and definitely is less likely in community practice where there’s little time to deal with complex cases—->referral to tertiary/quaternary referral center)

This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for! Thank you so much for your input and taking the time to type this all out. I really appreciate it!
 
Answered some questions that I thought might be useful over the in the hem/onc fellowship sub forum. See below from @Cremaster reflex

“ I appreciate the response. I may be misguided/uninformed in this manner (i.e. what it means to be PP vs. academic in heme/onc) but throughout my rotations I have found myself enjoying the office visit setting much more than actually being in the hospital. With that being said I have 0 interest in primary care as that would bore me to tears. Further I like the idea of being able to form a long-term relationship with patients and would look forward to continually seeing them q6months or whatever and hopefully telling them they continue to have NED

I hope this makes sense. Thank you”

Answer

“Ah ok this definitely helps. The academic vs pp distinction isn’t really predicated on outpt vs in hospital or inpatient. All academic oncology jobs are mostly outpatient (unless of course you’re an oncology Hospitalist which is rare). The main difference as far as pp vs academic is whether you’re employed by the hospital or by yourself or a group. Sometimes hospitals also own a group so it’s sort of an “affiliated” practice @gutonc can comment more about the pp side. The other major difference is pay, which is of course higher on the pp side. You often do not have the ability to specialize as much as you would with an academic position. Academic positions often are associated with more research or scholarly activity. Availability of clinical trials are also more prevalent within academic institutions. There are many other differences but these are just a few. As far as salary you can probably expect to make anywhere between 75-80% of what you could make in private practice in academics. Where you practice is also very important as that determines your compensation. Ie nyc pp and academic salaries are fairly low (250-300pp 180-250 academic) vs areas in south or Midwest where pp and academic salaries are high.

Overall hours worked can be higher in pp especially in the beginning but that all depends on your practice and call responsibilities. Stresses on the academic side usually come in the form of bureaucracy (ie billing, compliance) and research requirements (if any). Another difference with academic vs pp is that as an academic oncologist you will have some inpatient duties that vary from minimal (solid tumor) in the form of wknd and occasional inpatient consult coverage, to more significant if you do heme malignancies like leukemia or are BMT.

Lifestyle in fellowship depends highly on the type of program you train in. At cancer centers (ie mskcc, mdacc, farber) 18-24 months of your time is spent doing research. Versus community programs (which based on your stats I’m sure you won’t even be applying to when it comes time) where nearly all 3 yrs are spent doing clinical work. At high ranked academic institutions your schedule and call duties are heavily weighted towards 1st yr as thereafter you’ll be mostly focused on research. As an example from my academic oncology program 1st yr I averaged 50h/wk plus one night on call each wk (home call, answering clinic phone calls, rarely needed to come one for an acute leukemia or ttp) and 12 wknds per year on call (6 inpatient covering consults 6 outpatient covering outpatient clinic phone calls). As a 2nd yr the schedule is vastly improved no weeknight call, working 7 wknds (half inpatient/outpatient). I’m on research now and so in that regard I essentially make my own hours but have deadlines and so occasionally I have to work more some days/weeks than others.

I know I probably didn’t answer all your questions but happy to address anything more specifically either here or via pm.”

Next question

“First of all thank you so much for your helpful input, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. The distinction between PP vs. academic and inpatient vs. outpatient is much more clear to me now. I understand that with high grade malignancies like certain leukemias and lymphomas there is greater risk for tumor lysis syndrome with rapid cell turnover but other than that, I don't really understand what else you would be getting called about in the middle of the night? Also, when on call what is a reasonable amount of times to be getting called as both a fellow and attending? Just trying to get an idea of how "call" works for the field and what I could expect.

Furthermore, I know it is probably highly variable but in general how many days a week, average weekly hours worked, and call frequency do you see PP and academic Heme/Onc doc with?

I have no interest in living in large cities like NYC, LA, Boston and would prefer to live around medium size cities in the SE so I guess it won't be an issue paying off ~$300k in med school loans then.

Again, thank you so much for answering my questions. I know they are mostly based on lifestyle/salary and these are far from the only things I care about but I tend to be someone who is pretty good at what I do but get kind of tired quickly if I am not engaged so this is really important to me. I am starting to panic as I need to schedule for M4 year in a couple of weeks and I am still deciding on Rad Onc vs. Heme/Onc. Anesthesia vs. a few other fields.”

Answer

“1) What types of calls while “on call”
As a fellow, the types of calls we get vary heavily as we cover both fellow and attending patients as well as inpatient consults on all hem/onc services. Which means we could get a patient phone call complaining of nausea or constipation to a 90 day post BMT patient complaining of a fever of 103 to an IM intern calling a consult for platelet count of 110 (can’t that wait until
Morning???) to an ED pa calling about mild anemia with a wbc count of 20 with 90% blasts (how could you miss that!!??). On average I received ~10 calls per night (highly variable of course) and only went in for a consult after hours 8 times throughout the whole year. My co fellows varied from 5-10 times (maybe as much as 12 for one fellow). Other calls? Solid tumor onc emergencies including cord compression and SVC syndrome. ITP with plt count less than 20 with or without bleeding. R/o TTP (which requires a smear review in the appropriate setting). And any type of phone call you could imagine from the patients.

As an attending this is vastly different. In an academic job the fellow usually fields most of the calls and only reaches out in the setting of an emergency or if there is a urgent clinical question. As a pp oncologist there is no fellow for you so you’d be covering your patients via an answering service in some way shape or form. In academics, when on inpatient for 2 wks let’s say for consults (solid tumor) or on service as a specialist in one of the heme malignancy areas (bmt, leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma) then you cover those patients at night (with or without fellow coverage) and so you can get calls in the middle of the night but never have to come in.

2) PP vs academic wkly
As you mentioned highly variable. PP mostly 9-5 seeing patients but likely some time spent before and after on admin stuff like phone calls note writing, sometime seeing patients inpatient if admitted etc. wknd coverage in pp is usually a rotation but someone with more experience @gutonc can comment. Academic hours depend if on or off service. When you’re doing purely outpatient it’s usually 2-4 days a week or clinic seeing 10-20 patients a day. Other days of week are spent on research duties(trials, clinical research) or admin (phone calls, tumor boards, meetings etc). When on service you usually do 1-2 wks straight AND see clinic patients and have admin/research duties so these are definitely more stressful weeks. Hours are probably 45-50 vs 60 outpatient vs when on service. Usually on service you work one or both wknds but those wknd days are not fully spent in house (can round early and be done by noon). Service duties per year vary heavily by specialty but on average ~2 months ”
 
I know this thread a couple of years old but if anyone can answer some of my questions it would be much appreciated!

I am a US IMG starting IM residency this july at an academic program which has previously matched its residents at multiple above average institutions for GI and Heme/Onc (my two interests). My institution has an in-house GI fellowship. Step 1 in low 220s and Step 2 240s. I am torn between heme/onc and GI. I have done a few rotations in outpatient GI but haven't done any heme/onc, so it's completely foreign to me. I'm trying to send in my elective requests for my PGY1 and would like some feedback on heme/onc fellowship and if possible GI!

1. I would like to do research in residency but how much research would I have to do while actually in practice in heme/onc? I read in one of the above posts that work hours average at 50/week. Does this include research as well?

2. I know GI will be an uphill battle not only cause of my step scores but also because its the most competitive fellowship out there. How tough will heme/onc be with my stats?

3. And finally, what is the weightage for scores vs everything else (research, LORs, home institution, etc) in terms of fellowship? Essentially, what I'm trying to figure out is, do I still have a shot at these fellowships? Will scoring well on Step 3 make a difference?
 
I'm bored so I've ventured in to the allopathic forum. I'm an IM resident starting a hem/onc fellowship in July and am here if anyone has any questions about IM, oncology, life after med school, medicine in general or anything that you can think of. Ask me anything!


How likely is it that an AMG with step 1 - 211 can get matched into a heme/onc fellowship if they do research in the field? Is it easier to get matched into a community heme/onc program?
 
How likely is it that an AMG with step 1 - 211 can get matched into a heme/onc fellowship if they do research in the field? Is it easier to get matched into a community heme/onc program?

Actually the biggest determinant would be where you do your residency and how productive you are in research (and would help to have impactful letters from well known people). Definitely academic is doable especially if your residency is at an academic institution. If not, would definitely focus more on community programs although is still possible, just less likely