• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Jumpu

Tiger Mom/Physiatrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 7, 2002
Chicago
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
As my prelim medicine year winds down, I am beginning to wonder about what I should expect as a PGY 2 in PM&R. I have heard from others in the past, that it can be like another intern year. What should I expect are new and what will be more like what I am already doing? :confused:

axm397

SDN Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
hey jumpu,

I thought my PGY2 was similar to intern year but different. The first few months are nice - you get your call schedule which is like q12-14 which is a HUGE change from intern year. You take no call in July as a PGY2 at RIC. You get all your weekends off during that time - so you can hang out as a class and get oriented to the computer system, etc.

The first time it hits you that you are not an intern anymore is when you realize there is no senior resident on your team - just you and the attending. That can be a tough transition. The first time you take call with your "buddy" and you realize that you are covering 160 patients and a floor of peds patients - that can be scary. (just remember that generations of RIC residents have survived it) Just pay attention during your PALS course :scared: You will get the attendings' home phone numbers so when in doubt, you can call. The peds attending gets up at 3am every morning so you can call him whenever.

I liked having 2 month chunks of rotations - you can learn different aspects of rehab (TBI, SCI, etc.) as you go along. The lectures are GREAT and the learning curve is quite steep at the beginning. Your class will get closer as the time goes on and you cover each other and function as a big team. No one should feel alone and no one should be overwhelmed alone. Drinking/b*tching sessions are great to let off some steam. Just don't do it at work :laugh:

Most of the annoying moments came from things I couldn't control - like late admissions, difficult patients and their families, admissions without proper paperwork and information, etc. Many of these are similar across the country. If you get upset and emotional every time, you'll end up stressing yourself out and burning out quickly. Try to find outlets - exercise, eating out, loved ones, etc. - the earlier you find and build your support system, the better because come winter (around January) that's when burn out kicks in. Make sure you plan out your vacation days and try to go somewhere with sun :).

hope this helps. if you have specific questions, pm me.

Jumpu

Tiger Mom/Physiatrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 7, 2002
Chicago
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thanks Axm!
That was a very thorough and helpful post!
I know as an intern, I started to feel comfortable with the system around december, is that also true in 2nd year?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.