Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 12, 2016
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi there, I'm looking at the requirements for the new MCAT, and I don't know how to fit all the prereqs in time and also fit some review time for the exam. I starting my next semester of my freshman year, and I haven't taken any sciences yet. By my first sophomore semester, I should have Chem. 1 and Chem. 2 done because of the following summer classes. I'm also going to have intro. to psych and abnormal psych done too. My college has very strong summer classes, but only have it for chem. 1, chem. 2, and orgo. 1. After my Summer classes, how should I continue? The prereqs state that I need chem. 1 & 2. bio. 1 & 2, physics 1 & 2, orgo 1 & 2, biochem., intro. and abnormal psych., and a few other classes on the side (medical ethics, statistics, etc.). I heard that it's extremely tough to take 2 major sciences together because of they consist of lecture, lab, and recitation. I also want to find time to volunteer at a hospital near my house, so I can't kill myself with my classes. I also want to find time a few months before taking my MCAT, and have to reduce my classes the semester before. Lastly, I need to work on my major by taking the classes necessary to complete it (for now it looks like Psych, with a minor in Philosophy). I want to score high on the MCAT and keep a high GPA, is there anyway to do so by fulfilling the above conditions without a gap/extra year? Is it possible to take 2 major sciences and do good while volunteering and have free time on the side? I really want to get into Med. school and I'm a hard worker, I just need to follow the right path and plan ahead of time. If someone can make a schedule of when should I take the major sciences mentioned above, that would be great. Only Chem. 1 & 2, and Orgo. are offered in the summer, none of the prereqs are offered in the winter, so mainly spring and fall. BTW I know the title sucks, I couldn't think of anything better.

Jan 12, 2016
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Status (Visible)
What will be done by my Sophomore year:
chem 1
chem 2
intro to psych and abnormal psych.

What's needed by the end of my junior year
orgo 1
orgo 2
bio 1
bio 2
biochem
physics 1
physics 2
sociology
MCAT Prep Time

Anyone out there who's creative and can help?

psychMDhopefully

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
What will be done by my Sophomore year:
chem 1
chem 2
intro to psych and abnormal psych.

What's needed by the end of my junior year
orgo 1
orgo 2
bio 1
bio 2
biochem
physics 1
physics 2
sociology
MCAT Prep Time

Anyone out there who's creative and can help?

Are you in college? If so you posted this in the wrong place.

About the Ads

vanillawafer

5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2014
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Volunteering shouldn't take up most of your time on a school week. You're a freshman right now so you can squeeze a couple of hours a week at the hospital and you should be fine. I am a freshman myself so I don't know too much on how this works, but I'm guessing that you can squeeze some other classes together if you want to graduate on a traditional track. Just be sure you don't kill yourself with class overload. You're going to have to make some compromises, you will have to choose free time over volunteering and taking extra classes if you want to fit all of this in schedule.

I'm kinda on the same boat as you. I am a second semester freshman and I am currently taking Chem I and Bio I, so I'll either have to take a gap year, summer classes, or if this works out take some more science classes together.. but I'm not sure if I want to do that or not.

Optimist Prime

5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
If you want to finish on the traditional track you will need to have your schedule something like this:
Sophomore year:
1st semester-
Chem 1
Bio 1
Intro to psych
Sociology

2nd semester-
Chem 2
Bio 2
abnormal psych

Junior year:
orgo 1&2
Physics 1&2

and maybe biochem during a summer session or self study it. Summer sessions are usually not a great idea for hard science classes because the classes are so short and easy to get behind on if you aren't on top of it. I know I would personally not want to take organic during the summer.

Jan 12, 2016
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Status (Visible)
If you want to finish on the traditional track you will need to have your schedule something like this:
Sophomore year:
1st semester-
Chem 1
Bio 1
Intro to psych
Sociology

2nd semester-
Chem 2
Bio 2
abnormal psych

Junior year:
orgo 1&2
Physics 1&2

and maybe biochem during a summer session or self study it. Summer sessions are usually not a great idea for hard science classes because the classes are so short and easy to get behind on if you aren't on top of it. I know I would personally not want to take organic during the summer.

That sounds hard, should I take a gap year? If so, how should I work it?

Optimist Prime

5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Ya its doable, but I wouldn't want to do it. You should definitely take a gap year if you feel like this many hard classes all the time will hurt your gpa. If you take a gap year I would take chem 1 and bio 1 together and take bio 2 and physics during the gap year. But honestly just mess around with it and find out what would work best for you.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.