SOPHAS application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dx253

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How's the application process going for everyone? I think the only pain so far has been entering all of the coursework. I had to call them this morning to make sure that I had entered in the information correctly and I was very surprised at how quickly my call was answered and how helpful the customer service personnel were. I encourage anyone that has questions to just call them, rather than email. I have emailed them in the past and it took almost a week to respond, where calling was immediate.

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

How's the application process going for everyone? I think the only pain so far has been entering all of the coursework. I had to call them this morning to make sure that I had entered in the information correctly and I was very surprised at how quickly my call was answered and how helpful the customer service personnel were. I encourage anyone that has questions to just call them, rather than email. I have emailed them in the past and it took almost a week to respond, where calling was immediate.

Best of luck to everyone!

it took me 40min to enter all of my coursework. :sleep:

in my experience with SOPHAS they were very quick while replying to mails.. i got replies within 2 hrs.. almost always!!

Members don't see this ad :)
How long are you guys going to wait to order transcripts to go to SOPHAS?

I had mine sent the very next day. Mostly because the two schools I have attended say it could take up to three weeks to get them out, so I definitely didn't want to waste any time. I'm not quite sure how long SOPHAS takes to enter them in once received.

Regarding transcripts.. I've got a question if anyone might have an answer here?

I still have 2 semesters left, the 1st one finishing before Christmas and marks probably up by January. I foresee this semester raising up my GPA a bit - is it possible to send your transcript twice, or should I just wait til it's updated in Jan? (I know that means I would be giving up all the schools with December deadlines)

Regarding transcripts.. I've got a question if anyone might have an answer here?

I still have 2 semesters left, the 1st one finishing before Christmas and marks probably up by January. I foresee this semester raising up my GPA a bit - is it possible to send your transcript twice, or should I just wait til it's updated in Jan? (I know that means I would be giving up all the schools with December deadlines)

Definitely don't give up schools with December deadlines. I would send the transcript as it is now. You can always send a second transcript once you get your grades in.

My wait time between the transcripts being sent and SOPHAS receiving them was approximately 7 days via snail mail.

so SOPHAS finally received my transcript but my GPA hasn't been updated.

:sleep::sleep::sleep:

GPA has been calculated and 3 LOR received. Now just waiting for them to actually mail it out

GPA has been calculated and 3 LOR received. Now just waiting for them to actually mail it out

I'm waiting on two letters until I submit my application. I'm assuming they don't calculate GPA until you e-submit?

I think they calculate it sometime after receiving transcripts. They recommend e-submitting before your letters are in. It takes them a few weeks to update everything

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they calculate it sometime after receiving transcripts. They recommend e-submitting before your letters are in. It takes them a few weeks to update everything

Thanks for the info! Does anyone know when Columbia will be added to SOPHAS?

During application i click on mph but there are so many options in mph is anyone know wat type is for dental

Thanks for the info! Does anyone know when Columbia will be added to SOPHAS?

I recieved an email from Columbia that they would be up on SOPHAS by the middle of this week.

application mailed today.. scared.. very scared :scared:

Just to clarify for us procrastinator types that are starting to feel pressured seeing these applications get sent off by others already, is there a disadvantage applying closer towards to deadline? For some reason I feel like there have been people who've asserted both sides.

Just an update to folks: Columbia plans on being open at the end of the week. I called this morning.

So frustrating. First it was mid September, then end of September, then first week of October. On Monday they said it'd be on by Wednesday. The hell?

How do you guys feel about potentially being the first class to go though Columbia's new curriculum? Anybody concerned about being guinea pigs?

So frustrating. First it was mid September, then end of September, then first week of October. On Monday they said it'd be on by Wednesday. The hell?

How do you guys feel about potentially being the first class to go though Columbia's new curriculum? Anybody concerned about being guinea pigs?

i'm losing interest in columbia... :sleep:

i think it'd suck to be a guinea pig in general! :eek:
however, i'm just applying to the management track. therefore, i will not be a guinea pig. :p

Just to clarify for us procrastinator types that are starting to feel pressured seeing these applications get sent off by others already, is there a disadvantage applying closer towards to deadline? For some reason I feel like there have been people who've asserted both sides.

Both my seniors and the ad com told me that there is a disadvantage for the snail-applicants like us. I will try my best to submit my app asap as long as I dont compromise the quality of my application.

More comments are welcomed! I also started worrying T_T

by the way guys, I heard somewhere in this forum that SOPHAS's word limit for personal statement is 500 words, which is not true. What I saw from SOPHAS is 1500 words, which should be more than enough!

Please clarify...I hope my tiring and sleepy eyes did't get things wrong :-s

by the way guys, I heard somewhere in this forum that SOPHAS's word limit for personal statement is 500 words, which is not true. What I saw from SOPHAS is 1500 words, which should be more than enough!

Please clarify...I hope my tiring and sleepy eyes did't get things wrong :-s

SOPHAS does provide 1500 words for all applications, but some schools will ask for less. For example, Columbia's limit is 500, so (when they eventually go online) you'll use the same 1500word limit textbox, but only put in 500 words. Berkeley and others have 1500 word limits - just depends on the school.

SOPHAS does provide 1500 words for all applications, but some schools will ask for less. For example, Columbia's limit is 500, so (when they eventually go online) you'll use the same 1500word limit textbox, but only put in 500 words. Berkeley and others have 1500 word limits - just depends on the school.

Thanks KeatingR for the clarification !

Anyone know if the personal statement for the new app is still 500 words at Columbia? I can't find anything on the new admissions website.

Anyone know if the personal statement for the new app is still 500 words at Columbia? I can't find anything on the new admissions website.

Yep. I recevied this from Columbia on Sept 22: "Our word limit for the personal statement is 500 words."

Hello Guys,
I think I'm getting fed up with Columbia's delay.
I am considering any program that has to do with maternal and child health ( reproductive health )
I want to apply to Boston SPH but I hear their standards are falling anyone in the house applying to Boston. Please let me know if anyone has a better suggestion or alternative. Time is ticking. thanks