SOPHAS Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlr2834

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

On Monday I submitted my application in SOPHAS to a school and my transcripts and two of my letters are shown as received. However, the overall status of the application is still "awaiting materials" rather than "materials received." I e-mailed SOPHAS about it and they said it might take a bit to move into the verification queue. I was concerned because for each individual component it immediately changed to "received" and it was odd to me that the overall application status wouldn't change immediately too once everything was in.

Does anyone remember how long after your two letters, transcripts, and the full application were in, you moved from "awaiting materials" to "received materials"? I'm trying to figure out how long I should wait before I e-mail them again about this problem.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but you're lucky that at least SOPHAS replied to your e-mail. I e-mailed them twice regarding separate issues I was facing, the first e-mail being sent about 10-12 days back and they haven't responded to me at all. Needless to say I'm very disappointed with them.
Good luck to you.

Hi!

On Monday I submitted my application in SOPHAS to a school and my transcripts and two of my letters are shown as received. However, the overall status of the application is still "awaiting materials" rather than "materials received." I e-mailed SOPHAS about it and they said it might take a bit to move into the verification queue. I was concerned because for each individual component it immediately changed to "received" and it was odd to me that the overall application status wouldn't change immediately too once everything was in.

Does anyone remember how long after your two letters, transcripts, and the full application were in, you moved from "awaiting materials" to "received materials"? I'm trying to figure out how long I should wait before I e-mail them again about this problem.

Just out of curiosity, have you already sent your GRE scores and/or any other test scores to the school? If not, that may be why your status is still awaiting materials. Also, keep in mind that when submitting GRE scores, you have to use the SOPHAS code for the school. If you send them to the school directly without the SOPHAS code, they will not be included in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
This happened to me as well. They told me there was a glitch and that the system wasn't recognizing that you only needed 2 LORs to start the verification process. My app was completed (with 2 LORs) on 9/17. The status finally changed to "Materials Received" on 10/2 and was verified on 10/13. Hope that helps!

I did submit my GRE scores, they appear in the big pdf version of my application, but thanks for the tip!

@die_kaiserin Thank you! That actually is very helpful, I'll wait about two weeks and if it doesn't change then, I'll get back in touch with them. I just thought it was really weird because when each individual component was received it showed it immediately, so I figured that it would be the same type of thing.

Quick question.

One of my volunteer experiences with an organization did not end on a good note, but I still want to mention it in my application. The thing is, will it be considered as a negative if I click on "Don't give permission to contact this organization"? I can refrain from mentioning their contact details too as it's an optional tab, but that might make me appear as not being truthful. Not sure what to do.

Quick question.

One of my volunteer experiences with an organization did not end on a good note, but I still want to mention it in my application. The thing is, will it be considered as a negative if I click on "Don't give permission to contact this organization"? I can refrain from mentioning their contact details too as it's an optional tab, but that might make me appear as not being truthful. Not sure what to do.

I think someone else had a similar question a while ago. What I told him is that it does not matter whether you say contact or not. My volunteer organization did not even have a phone number, so I was not able to include any contact information. So don't worry about it. Go ahead and add the volunteer experience without their contact info.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious, has anyone had any success sending in their GRE scores? I sent my GRE scores using the SOPHAS code on August 19, and have yet to receive confirmation that it has been received. I did get notification that my transcript was received on September 1. I've submitted my application and it says under my verification status that 2 of my LORs and my transcript have arrived, but still nothing about my GRE. I'm getting worried about this, since I have an order confirmation that my GRE was sent and I'm not sure if I should try ordering GRE scores again and sending them. Anyone else have any trouble? Thanks!

I'm curious, has anyone had any success sending in their GRE scores? I sent my GRE scores using the SOPHAS code on August 19, and have yet to receive confirmation that it has been received. I did get notification that my transcript was received on September 1. I've submitted my application and it says under my verification status that 2 of my LORs and my transcript have arrived, but still nothing about my GRE. I'm getting worried about this, since I have an order confirmation that my GRE was sent and I'm not sure if I should try ordering GRE scores again and sending them. Anyone else have any trouble? Thanks!

I had the same problem. At the end, I discovered that because of a small difference in my name SOPHAs could not automatically attach my scores. I sent to them and they attached the scores after getting the registration number and other info from me. Strange enough they solved this particular problem very quickly. Just contact them with the necessary information.

I don't recall ever receiving any confirmation besides the scores showing as sent on the ETS website. As far as I know it won't show up under the verification status box, because it doesn't for me. How I know that everything thing is good is that I downloaded what my application will look like and in that pdf there is a page where it says "unofficial GRE scores" and then the following pages says "official GRE scores." I assumed that since that document saying "official GRE scores" is in the total application, that I am all set.

@Saloommamado and @mlr2834 - Thank you both! I contacted SOPHAS and the school I applied to to see what they say. And I checked the pdf version of my application and it does say official GRE scores, so I'm going to assume everything should be okay!

Hi!

I'm applying for MHA programs and am wondering how long the resume should be? (I'm thinking 1 page but does anyone else have 2 pages?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to email them to check on the status of my application because I had sent my GRE scores but they were not updated in my SOPHAS account and it had been about 2 weeks since I sent them. i emailed SOPHAS and they said that my GRE scores had been received. I think they just take awhile to process everything and change the status. They've been pretty responsive in my experience (2 emails only).

I have a question. Once I have applied to one program and my application has been verified by SOPHAS, then the next time I add another school, it won't take as long for the verification of my application, right? Or do I need to have that cushion period of 4 weeks every time I add a school? Because if that's the case, then I'm screwed.
Probably sounds stupid, because the application should have to be verified only once and any additional schools I apply to, the application should submit immediately. But if someone can confirm this and put my mind to ease, I'll be thankful.

Edit: I just realized that I've mentioned my work experiences in chronological order in the CV I've uploaded to SOPHAS. Will it come across as silly? Should've written it in reverse chronological order.

Last edited:
I have a question. Once I have applied to one program and my application has been verified by SOPHAS, then the next time I add another school, it won't take as long for the verification of my application, right? Or do I need to have that cushion period of 4 weeks every time I add a school? Because if that's the case, then I'm screwed.
Probably sounds stupid, because the application should have to be verified only once and any additional schools I apply to, the application should submit immediately. But if someone can confirm this and put my mind to ease, I'll be thankful.

When I submitted more apps after the initial verification process it only took a day or two for those to show as verified.

Edit: I just realized that I've mentioned my work experiences in chronological order in the CV I've uploaded to SOPHAS. Will it come across as silly? Should've written it in reverse chronological order.

SOPHAS only verifies your application once. As soon as you submit another designation, it becomes available to that school.

I'm an international student, so I must have my transcripts evaluated by WES first. (So I already know my GPA calculated by WES)
I submitted my materials on 11/25, and got verification on 11/27, which is much faster than 4 weeks according to FAQ.

I have two questions
1. Is the speed due to WES verification?
2. In my application PDF, I only see WES GPA, not SOPHAS GPA. Is this normal?
3. Even if the system showed that I'm verified, but I did not received confirmation emails as described in FAQ?

Thank you all for your reply!

Last edited:
Question about the GPA...
I *finally* got the email that my transcripts and LORs were verified and that I should wait at least a hour for the GPAs to show on my application--where are they? I looked in the PDF version in the "Manage my programs" section, but they're not listed. Since I'm already stressed with finals, I figured I should throw in the stress of my broken-down GPAs :D

I have submitted applications to some schools before, which have been verified and completed. I just added a new school whose deadline is 15 Dec and submitted the application. I was under the impression that it would directly show as verified and completed once I did the payment, but it only shows as "Awaiting materials". All my materials (transcripts, LORs) have been received over a month ago.
What is this? Will the application have to be verified all over again even though I have submitted applications to other schools before? This is a nightmare and I won't make the deadline then. :(

Last edited:
I have submitted applications to some schools before, which have been verified and completed. I just added a new school whose deadline is 15 Dec and submitted the application. I was under the impression that it would directly show as verified and completed once I did the payment, but it only shows as "Awaiting materials". All my materials (transcripts, LORs) have been received over a month ago.
What is this? Will the application have to be verified all over again even though I have submitted applications to other schools before? This is a nightmare and I won't make the deadline then. :(

Have you sent your test scores to the new designation? I know at least the GRE scores have to be sent individually for each school, and that it can take up to two weeks to be sent. If you have already ordered them (with the SOPHAS code), give them some time to arrive before the status changes.

I'm an international student, so I must have my transcripts evaluated by WES first. (So I already know my GPA calculated by WES)
I submitted my materials on 11/25, and got verification on 11/27, which is much faster than 4 weeks according to FAQ.

I have two questions
1. Is the speed due to WES verification?
2. In my application PDF, I only see WES GPA, not SOPHAS GPA. Is this normal?
3. Even if the system showed that I'm verified, but I did not received confirmation emails as described in FAQ?

Thank you all for your reply!

I'm also an international applicant. I have my material verified today and received an email about verification. It also mention that I can see my GPA after an hour. However, I can't see my GPA on the program PDF. No WES GPA, NO SOPHAS GPA. Is that normal ??

pretty anxious about all the process and GPA and all these about the deadline.

Have you sent your test scores to the new designation? I know at least the GRE scores have to be sent individually for each school, and that it can take up to two weeks to be sent. If you have already ordered them (with the SOPHAS code), give them some time to arrive before the status changes.

Thank you! The application got verified a couple of hours after I submitted it, so I was able to make the deadline. :)

I have a QUESTION!!:hello: So I applied to a couple MPH-Epi programs through SOPHAS and my recommenders wrote in their letters that I am applying to an MPH program, but what do I do if I want to apply to one MS-Epi program? DO you think I can do that? or should I not even bother since MPH is mentioned in my LoR?

HELP!!!!

I have a QUESTION!!:hello: So I applied to a couple MPH-Epi programs through SOPHAS and my recommenders wrote in their letters that I am applying to an MPH program, but what do I do if I want to apply to one MS-Epi program? DO you think I can do that? or should I not even bother since MPH is mentioned in my LoR?

HELP!!!!

My personal option? If you're interested in an MS-Epi program (I'm assuming dual-degree or something of that nature), I think you could still apply, even if your recommenders don't directly say it in your letters. For my PS for Emory, for example, I talked about how I am interested in Public Health and Bioethics (I'm applying to their Dual-Degree MA/MPH program, fingers crossed <3) so if you could find a way to incorporate in a PS or in the application, I think it would be fine in my opinion.

Best of luck to you!

Hi,
I had a small question.
Myself an international student.
Can any one guide me, from where should i get my transcript verified directly by sophas or through WES.
Any idea of pros and cons in regard to this will also be helpful.
Thanks

Hi,
I had a small question.
Myself an international student.
Can any one guide me, from where should i get my transcript verified directly by sophas or through WES.
Any idea of pros and cons in regard to this will also be helpful.
Thanks

Scroll through the FAQ page on SOPHAS, your answer should be there.